Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excessively high prices for 2022?!

Poster: A snowHead
I know its still early days and I suppose it was inevitable, but have you guys seen the prices for 2022? I am looking to postpone our mid March 2021 trip to Zell am See for Mid January 2022. Currently paying €800 for 7 nights at Haus Edelweiss, and most hotels for Jan 2022 are showing as €1500+!. I have only looked on Booking, maybe should start to look airbnb or elsewhere.
How are you guys finding your deals for 2022 so far?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ive kept our prices the same as this year
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have only looked at flight & hire car prices but they are both well up on 2021 prices & that's booking well in advance
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rolled over our hotel (direct booking) from this year to next - noted on confirmation same price for next year. We could have had our deposit returned (400 euros) but opted to leave - maybe that helped.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crystal ski prices for Zell range from £459 to £759 (29th jan 22 1/2 board) : There are a couple of higher prices, but in the 'Finest' range.

Not sure what they currently are for this year tho'..

======= Edit ----

just looked at March prices

March 6th 21 1/2 board == 800-910

March 5th 22 1/2 board == 784-940

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 13-01-21 17:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ive booked Mid Dec. to Austria. 9 nights in total, 3 of which are in Innsbruck.
Just under £1000 in total for 2 of us (only plan on 5 days skiing though).

I did look at DIY options to go away over xmas. Crystal was working out cheaper than DIY option.
However other half would not know if she can book christmas off this far in advance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done a few DIY opitons in the knowledge that I could get a whole week cheaper with Crystal.
However, the dates were more flexible in terms of days off work and locations and accom were nice.
Last year I took a 4 night break with Crystal which was amazing:
Day 1 Half Day Wednesday
Day 2 Full Day
Day 3 Full Day
Day 4 Full Day
Day 5 half day left resort and 1:30pm off slopes at 1pm!! Sunday
I do hope they keep these on becasue I will defo do again. But then again I might just do a full week!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless I had some compelling reason to book now, I don't think I'd be taking much notice of prices more than a year hence.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Unless I had some compelling reason to book now, I don't think I'd be taking much notice of prices more than a year hence.

+1. Seems like a cash grab by some companies pedalling the next season is going to be the busiest ever so book now. Can't say I blame them, as there are clearly people so upset they are missing out this year they want to lock in something for next season and willing to pay.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can’t believe any company is seriously publishing prices right now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They are still going to face the same demand and visitor type in 2022 as ever. They can try selling a 1500 per head trip to Sauze in early January, but they won't be finding many takers and the school holidays won't be changing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

I think demand is going to be mental.
If vaccines dont work, then we cant play turtle forever
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w,
Quote:

^ this
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

Wonder why you think that? Obviously there’ll be pent up demand carried from this season. But with many people’s incomes taking a big hit, won’t that constrain demand?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our cancelled 9th January trip has gone up by 300 quid for 2022...so rather than book we've been advised by travel agent to wait, as they believe prices will drop again, 14% of skiers in the Alps are British.. ..but I reckon we'll all be going next year, me personally will be doing 3 trips rather than 2 to make up for this year..
snow conditions
I've booked three weeks for Jan next year for the same price as I was going to pay this year. If nothing else it gives me something to look forward to!
snow report
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

"you think"?

I have a bridge at Brooklyn which "I think the demand is going to be mental" next year"...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 13-01-21 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Only 367 days to go.....
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

Wonder why you think that? Obviously there’ll be pent up demand carried from this season. But with many people’s incomes taking a big hit, won’t that constrain demand?

Lots of people not skied for 2 years. Lots may want an extra trip for missing out.
Add that to the timing of the under 50s getting vaccinated who may want a holiday...

Its not only brits who holiday.
Providing hosting nations are welcoming tourism.

Some flight prices are already mental.
snow report
esaw1 wrote:
Only 367 days to go.....

331 here
Will prob end up glacier skiing
snow conditions
The other thing to consider is that the demand might not find its way into the usual locations, meaning bargains elsewhere. It surely wouldn't be a shock if people in certain countries stay closer to home for the foreseeable- i. e. Scandinavian skiiers making more use of their resorts at home and not heading for the Alps, Russians staying at home over their Christmas rather than hitting Andorra, and so forth. Even if total demand is high, it might not mean that it plays out where it might be expected to.

If there really is that pent-up demand from the UK, and I were Crystal or Inghams or the like, I'd expand the offering. Get those packages going to Germany, Croatia, Spain, Sweden, Poland, Greece, Slovakia... Anywhere you can find capacity. Because there will be plenty of skiiers who won't pay high prices just to go back to the Alps, but will happily go somewhere a bit different.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, The thought had certainly crossed my mind.
latest report
I can see a little more demand, but not excessive. Could be an issue for those constrained to school holidays, but I think things will be pretty similar the other other weeks. People like the idea of "making up" for lost time, perhaps some will - but for many when push comes to shove they will revert back to their normal 1 or 2 weeks per year. Also at least a few people have mentioned using money saved by not skiing this season for big trips to north America or Japan.
snow report
@Mr.Egg,
Quote:

Lots of people not skied for 2 years. Lots may want an extra trip for missing out.
Add that to the timing of the under 50s getting vaccinated who may want a holiday...

Its not only brits who holiday.
Providing hosting nations are welcoming tourism.

Yes, understand your rationale.
Another factor for UK based skiers is reduction in package deals available. Many (by no means all) frequent skiers from UK like the convenience of a package.

I tend to think these factors that should increase demand will be tempered by a big reduction in disposable income, coupled with reduced confidence about future finances. The economic hit has been experienced all across Europe and beyond.

We shall see...or at least I hope we shall.
ski holidays
@PeakyB,

Maybe people will cut their cloth accordingly and discover more km of slope isnt always better.
Flights with budget airlines are certainly up compared to previous trips.

2yrs ago innsbruck flights cost me £130 for 2
This year its £230 for the same dates.
AC Hotel is listed at €175 a night, compared to €115 2 years ago.
However, i will be using Marriott points again & this hotel has jumped 5k per night!
ski holidays
Don't leave booking too late.

Our kayak sales were 75% up on the average of the last 5 years and that was after missing the first 2 months of sales. Online retailers (we aren't) went from 15% discounts to 10% surcharges and still sold out. We would've doubled sales if the stock was available.

I seriously think that next year will seem like half term throughout the season.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, good points. I think some of the airlines and certainly booking.com are trying it on at the moment. That said, the budget airlines were working on pretty tight margins and high capacity targets before the pandemic.

I expect an overall cost increase on like for like trips compared with 2 years ago. If it’s more than about 10% up I’d expect the gradual decline in skier days of recent years to continue. Could be good for lower cost countries, as @PrimroseAndBlue, says.

Maybe the biggest change will be a reduction in spend on non-skiing extras. Definitely apres entertainment and any indoor activities involving mixing of parties. Tobogganing, ice skating etc and probably ski/board instruction too.
ski holidays
@BoardieK, wasn’t that increase in demand mainly due to the massive short term increase in domestic summer holidays, mostly because people either couldn’t travel abroad, or were reluctant to do that because of perceived health risks?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BoardieK wrote:
Don't leave booking too late.

Our kayak sales were 75% up on the average of the last 5 years and that was after missing the first 2 months of sales. Online retailers (we aren't) went from 15% discounts to 10% surcharges and still sold out. We would've doubled sales if the stock was available.

I seriously think that next year will seem like half term throughout the season.

I think it's a bad example.

Kayaks (and bikes) sold out because bars are closed, professional sport are curtailed, restaurants are closed. People have nothing else to do!

It wouldn't be the case for 2022 skiing season. With the exception of holiday period, it will simply be back to more or less the same throughout the rest of the season. Keep in mind there's usually excess capacity during non-holiday periods. So hotels might be a little less empty during low period (good for them). Prices will reflect that too, unlikely to be excessively expensive except for those stuck with half term/Christmas.
snow report
@PeakyB, @abc, Different but not bad, there weren't any extra summer visitors to Cornwall except that it was packed through until late October. Our customer base changed a little, average age is about 50 now and everyone I know in rental and sales did well.

Customers weren't hesitating before purchasing, people have money to spend, look on here where almost everyone is taking extra weeks next year. It's not just us lot on here.
snow report
Just off the top ofy head I can think of four reasons why prices might be up for next season:-
1) Accommodation providers in resorts trying to make up for lost trade.
2) Pent up demand.
3) Less accommodation options and/or increased running costs for chalets and chalet-hotels, as cheap British labour is much less viable.
4) Price gouging by tour operators.
snow conditions
We’ve booked for Canada at Christmas, where we should have just returned from. Crystal and Inghams prices were stupid, so we’ve gone for a small tailor made holiday company instead and are paying slightly less. Their terms and conditions are very straightforward - something that’s now as important as price to me.
snow report
Quote:

look on here where almost everyone is taking extra weeks next year. It's not just us lot on here.

This forum is not really representative though. Of course the people with the biggest interest are the ones most likely to do an extra trip, but what percentage of skiers do they make up? The majority of 1 or maybe 2 week per season more casual skiers are not going to do more (even if they wanted to many don't have the time as need to save some leave for summer holiday and other things).

Also I think a lot of people that are doing an extra week next year will consider using the extra days and money to do a n America or Japan trip rather than their usual Alps trip.

I think the families restricted to school holidays will probably get shafted (even more so than usual), but can't see a huge change for everyone else.

The point about chalet costs going up do to brexit meaning it's harder to employ Brits may be more of a concern than demand in terms of cheap trips. But reading the following quote above makes me think that might not be the case
"Crystal ski prices for Zell range from £459 to £759 (29th jan 22 1/2 board)".
snow report
Quote:

The majority of 1 or maybe 2 week per season more casual skiers are not going to do more (even if they wanted to many don't have the time as need to save some leave for summer holiday and other things).

Exactly!

Much as I wish to increase my skiing days, I'm limited by the amount of leaves I have. I've already maxed out that in "normal" (pre-pandemic) years. There's no extra week I can somehow create in 2022!

Others maybe limited by funds. So they aren't doing extra weeks either.

In other words, pent up demand in people's mind for sure. But not necessarily translate to actual extra demand.
latest report
I know people don't want to hear this, but as if right now there is no guarantee of a "normal" season next year. There are many reasons (poor vaccine rollout, poor vaccine compliance, waning immunity, new variants) why we still don't have pandemic under full control, necessitating further restrictions and/or at least a "new normal". Only the foolhardy would pay over odds at this point
snow conditions
@abc, but you are in the US, do you actually get any annual leave?

Our last year in the UK we skied 56 days on 10 days annual leave ...
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
pam w wrote:

While I understand the concept of pent up demand, most people who ski holiday do so regularly (as opposed to some holidays like citybreaks which can be last minute decisions), so I am unclear where any extra bodies would come from over the course of a full season?

Put simply, why would there be any extra beds required in 2022 than in 2020?
latest report
GreenDay wrote:

Put simply, why would there be any extra beds required in 2022 than in 2020?

The simplest reason is if people have missed out for 2 years, then they want a 2nd trip or maybe a longer trip. I have over 50 days of annual leave this year - not sure how much I can carry over yet!
It is also possible there are less beds. Maybe the owner of guesthaus, etc. decide to retire or even died.
It seems operated hotels, etc. by tourist companies was given up. That can make it more difficult to book a room if the building owner has not prepared.
Our booking for Christmas is in what was previously a catered chalet style guesthouse exclusive to Inghams.
snow conditions
Quote:

The simplest reason is if people have missed out for 2 years, then they want a 2nd trip.

Now you are just making it up on the hoof
ski holidays
I’m in the process of organising a large school trip for next season. According to the company I’m dealing with (an online aggregator), the chalet industry is 70-80% down in capacity for next season, particularly for those companies who rent their beds from third parties-they’re just not prepared (yet) to commit the paying for those beds. Maybe they will later in the year when they get a feel for demand? Lots of empty chalets and chalet hotels which are just not being picked up for tour ops and so will be empty unless the owners can rent them directly themselves. Would be interested if people are seeing that on the ground.
That said, prices they’ve quoted are not much higher than previous years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy