Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another carving question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Fairly new to the forum although I have been somewhat lurking for a while...

I've been trying to better my parallel skiing ability lately in the comfort, safety, but most of all "only possible option given current circumstances"-ness of the indoor slopes of the UK. That being said, I've been trying as best as I can, given current circumstances, to learn the basics of carving.

I think I'm starting to get the gist of it, with tilting/leaning down the hill into each turn early, using both edges etc, but I just had a couple of questions that I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback on:

- Is it good practice to lift the uphill ski slightly to obtain good edge angle and force more pressure onto the downhill ski or should I be trying to focus a lot more on balancing pressure across both?
- Is there value in practising the "ski with 1 ski down" approach? I'm nervous to try this in the indoor centres

Sorry if this topic seems a bit basic/stupid but would appreciate any feedback/tips etc. I'm basically trying to get as practised as possible before we're eventually released back into the world on real mountains!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/UGn62uxnhjg

Darren Turner's video, Carving 6.2 (as per link) is the clearest and best summary I've seen and would be my "go to" guide for developing carving skills.

The techniques and process he demonstrates lend themselves to being practised on an indoor slope. I haven't seen you ski so I can't really comment on whether any individual "drills" will help you or cause distraction.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So not a question about the correct way to carve the Christmas bird? Disappointing at this time of year and especially now when there will be less skiing happening and more at home activities.

Please amend the title to make this clear to avoid disappointed posters rushing to share their carvers top tips.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is there value in practising the "ski with 1 ski down

If you do it right, it can be a quick way to get the feel of a pure carve turn. Key is to pressure the ski tips before adding edge angle.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FWIW. This is my view:

- Early lifting the tail of the d/hill ski prior to turning, is a great drill. When that feeling has been ingrained into your skiing, then I would not lift the ski, but greatly lighten the pressure on it. It should have just enough pressure on it to stop it wobbling about and carve along the weighted one. It should change edges at the same time and by the same amount as the weighted ski.

If you can't get rid of an A Frame - check alignment.

- I would leave exercises on 1 ski until you are more comfortable with Carving.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I would leave exercises on 1 ski until you are more comfortable with Carving.

It’s more fun to watch though Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

I would leave exercises on 1 ski until you are more comfortable with Carving.

It’s more fun to watch though Madeye-Smiley

I've been practicing this Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/e8S6nHmk-dg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which dome are you at?

I learnt to carve indoors, I didn’t do many drills then though to be honest, but I have starting incorporating more now as I’m trying to further improve my performance and give myself new challenges.

What worked for me initially was becoming more dynamic (really exaggerated), improving body positioning and upgrading my skis.

I ski first thing in the morning then examine my tracks on the lift back up which of course gives you immediate feedback on your turns.

As in the video, J and rollerblade turns on the shallow section of slope are a good starting point for finding the edges.

With regards to one ski drills I think the stork drill is easiest, lifting the inside ski but leaving the tip on the snow, then changing skis in transition before the new turn. This can be made more difficult by holding poles in front, taking poles away, lifting the whole ski and progressing to javelin turns.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

taking poles away

By far the best way IMHO. More natural, more freedom; better balance and agility. Be the ski Cool

#ZenSkiing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies everyone, really helpful and now I can't wait to get back! Apologies for the lack of poultry related questions.

I mostly go to HH - I was thinking of trying some of the slower/J and rollerblade stuff near the bottom but most of the time I go lately they've had a roller so I don't really want to be messing about too much downhill of a landing zone.

In terms of removing the poles - this was actually how I learned to ski in the first place so that could definitely be a good shout to pick back up again.

I think the penultimate point in that video was really helpful - "try not to draw such a line between carving and everything else", feels a lot more like what I've been doing i.e. getting lots of pressure on the edge of the downhill ski.

Does speed help at the very early/learning stages? I've seen one guy often at Hemel who absolutely shoots down the first bit of the hill (skates first to pick up speed too) then goes into quite an aggressive stance and does just a couple of nice big smooth turns, but I can't tell if maybe he's just practising racing?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
javindo wrote:

Does speed help at the very early/learning stages? I've seen one guy often at Hemel who absolutely shoots down the first bit of the hill (skates first to pick up speed too) then goes into quite an aggressive stance and does just a couple of nice big smooth turns, but I can't tell if maybe he's just practising racing?

IMV. Going more slowly, highlights problems in a way that going fast doesn't. In fact, going fast can cover them up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just wondered if you were at MK I might have seen you.

When carving I usually point straight for a couple of metres before rolling onto edges but lots of speed isn’t necessary. ~5 long turns top to bottom for me on slalom skis.

With regards to drills they are often more difficult done slowly as any balance issues are more obvious. There’s lots of videos on YouTube of racers practising slow and deliberate turns so I think it is a useful thing to do. I‘ve started working on slow speed short turns, I feel I am aware of exactly how I am moving and steering the skis. I think it can be helpful in this way to refine movements before building it back up again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Does speed help at the very early/learning stages?

Don’t know, but eyes closed certainly does. Try it - it’s a whole new world.

#zenskiing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
javindo wrote:
I don't advocate straightening the top section to pick up speed and then making your first turn. I think it is a much better discipline to start turning immediately. That way you start to link your turns from the top of the slope, allowing you to balance against the G-forces you are creating by turning and tip your skis over on to their edges as soon as you start the run. You'll also have to cope with relatively low levels of momentum and G-force in your first couple of turns, which will challenge your balance and precision of movements slightly more than when you have the benefit of speed. It also means you'll get more turns and more transitions in on a very short slope.

I think I know the guy you are referring to who skates the top section of the slope and then makes a small number of long radius turns. If it is who I think it is he's not someone you should seek to emulate.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

#zenskiing
When I've skied with my eyes closed there's been an absence of Zen-like calm Laughing
snow report
Quote:

If it is who I think it is he's not someone you should seek to emulate.

Does the name rhyme with BoldSlugga? snowHead
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

#zenskiing
When I've skied with my eyes closed there's been an absence of Zen-like calm Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/o2we_B6hDrY

snowHead
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

If it is who I think it is he's not someone you should seek to emulate.

Does the name rhyme with BoldSlugga? snowHead
I don't think so, in fact I don't think I can rhyme anything with BoldSlugga!
ski holidays
@rob@rar, awdbugga Laughing
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:
snowHead

Eyes-closed transceiver-searching was much more Zen Very Happy

latest report
AL9000 wrote:
@rob@rar, awdbugga Laughing
Ah, gotya. No, nobody on snowHeads.
snow report
@rob@rar, eyes-closed ski jacket shopping too by the looks of it. What’s that, Gang-Green?

wink
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
@rob@rar, eyes-closed ski jacket shopping too by the looks of it. What’s that, Gang-Green?

wink
That's not me, it was my avalanche buddy. All her own choice of colours...
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Yikes Embarassed
I’m sure I’ve seen you in that hat before.
latest report
AL9000 wrote:
@rob@rar, Yikes Embarassed
I’m sure I’ve seen you in that hat before.
Nah, the only crocheted headwear I have is a headband with a polar bear on it. The hat that Julia was wearing is very lovely but I just don't think I could carry it off.

snow report
@rob@rar, Much nicer jacket.
snow conditions
Laughing @AL9000,
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Don’t tell Julia. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@javindo, the guy you refer to at Hemel has awful form and is an odd ball. My advice is to avert your gaze when he is skiing. His technique couldn't be any worse, he isn't an instructor, but is always happy to give "tips" to people. Avoid at all costs Very Happy
latest report
If you can book a private lesson there at the moment then that could help and give you ways to practise when ever you are skiing
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
If you can book a private lesson there at the moment then that could help and give you ways to practise when ever you are skiing
The Snow Centre at Hemel is currently closed, and will re-open when Tier 4 restrictions are lifted.
snow report
Of course
snow report
Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone! Getting itchy feet now to get back to it.

It also feels like something of a snowHeads rite of passage/an honour to have my first thread going slightly off topic/derailing, but will be sure to give the zen skiing a try snowHead
latest report
javindo wrote:
It also feels like something of a snowHeads rite of passage/an honour to have my first thread going slightly off topic/derailing,
Laughing All the best threads develop a life of their own...
snow conditions
Last year I was skiing at one of the local resorts and saw a local ski team of teenagers, practicing on the steepest black run. Two of the girls were not just lifting one ski in the air - they actually ONLY HAD ONE SKI on Smile Watched them for a while, they would go up on the t-bar and come down the black slope several times, with just one ski on, the other boot in the air. So it's quite funny for me now when I see this youtube tutorials, where the instructor is making a big deal of how he lifts one leg for a few seconds, when these kids were skiing on one ski for several runs in a row Very Happy
snow report
@boyanr, Perhaps they could only afford one pair of skis between two of them.

Many, many years ago I was skiing in Bansko. We had left the village and got a lift upto the ski area where a man was renting skis from the back of a van. He made a big deal on how he had a matched pair of the same length for me.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
FWIW. This is my view:

- Early lifting the tail of the d/hill ski prior to turning, is a great drill. When that feeling has been ingrained into your skiing, then I would not lift the ski, but greatly lighten the pressure on it. It should have just enough pressure on it to stop it wobbling about and carve along the weighted one. It should change edges at the same time and by the same amount as the weighted ski.

If you can't get rid of an A Frame - check alignment.

- I would leave exercises on 1 ski until you are more comfortable with Carving.

Good points on top but I see you are a typical victim of the old wive's tale that an A frame is due to faulty boot alignment which is almost, probably never, true. An A frame has nothing to do with boot alignment and everything to do with shin alignment. To blame it on the boot would suggest that an A framing skier is equally tipping their skis which is never the case. The only way it could be the boot is if a skier cannot obtain both equally tipped skis and parallel shafts.
ski holidays
Twitch wrote:

Good points on top but I see you are a typical victim of the old wive's tale that an A frame is due to faulty boot alignment which is almost, probably never, true. An A frame has nothing to do with boot alignment and everything to do with shin alignment. To blame it on the boot would suggest that an A framing skier is equally tipping their skis which is never the case. The only way it could be the boot is if a skier cannot obtain both equally tipped skis and parallel shafts.

In the case of being Female - Lady F couldn't get rid of A Frame until alignment was sorted, which made a huge difference.

In the case of being Male, you could be right.....but I would like conformation from CEM, who offers it as a service: https://www.solutions4feet.com/services/skier-alignment
snow report
A-framing is under-over rated.
ski holidays
I joined Austrian ski school for a week some 30+ years ago and spent a morning skiing one run with only a left ski, then up the t-bar and swap to the right ski. It was character building and not too bad after a couple of goes when you realised you weren't going to die. It was good to get both back on though!
Merry Christmas.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy