Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockdown Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a minor trip as I walked from home Laughing But snow is snow, great to see kids out on sledges.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice photos, made a little bit more magical by the falling snowflakes effect we currently have on the forum.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was so tempted to skin around my local golf course, but ran it instead last afternoon in falling snow and then a lovely dog walk this morning around my local area!

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
20cm here, no skiing gear it’s still in Austria....otherwise I’d have been out skiing in it, two decent walks instead around home. Beautiful day today. No photos afraid don’t know how to upload here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, upload to imgur.com, click the 3 dots, click get share links, copy and paste BB code.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, Thanks, only mobile phone stuff to be honest. Was very cold though, especially in the wind.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, I am only an amateur rolling eyes but if you use imgur.com it's just a simple copy and paste.

Shame we missed that slot for your gear in August Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skitow, gosh yes that was a shame, seems a long time ago eh? Hope you’re well btw!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We managed an (ahem) 'ski tour' yesterday on an inch of snow at our local woodland park Very Happy. We found enough of a gradient for a few turns on a grassy, couloir-width footpath. The refrozen snow was skied into fast granular after a few runs wink

Beggars can't be choosers these days! Laughing

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Managed a tour to/from the house on Thursday!

http://youtube.com/v/dUi6yf0AvwU
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sadly we didn’t get enough to cover the grass!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, good effort!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
mountainaddict, good effort!
Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's frustrating that the Government Guideline about 'Exercising Locally' to where we live' is so ambiguous. One example is those two ladies who were Pounced on by the Uber Zealous Derbyshire Police and fined £200 for taking a Socially Distanced Walk (only Five Miles from where they live). What is needed is the CLARITY of a Maximum Radius distance from where one lives set as a limit for everyone to travel as far to for their socially distanced out door exercise. What is Ok for our (Seven Miles Cycling) Prime Minister should be Ok for the rest of us. At this time however, the Police have a Green Light to exploit this ambiguous 'Local Exercise' Guideline and will be quick to Slap a £200+ Fine on anyone who They deem to have breached the Government's 'Travel for Exercise' Guideline .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

At this time however, the Police have a Green Light to exploit this ambiguous 'Local Exercise' Guideline and will be quick to Slap a £200+ Fine on anyone who They deem to have breached the Government's 'Travel for Exercise' Guideline .

The Derbyshire nonsense has been reversed. I see no other evidence that the police are just waiting to pounce and "slap on" fines. Rather the reverse - I suspect that too many people have been getting away with blatant breaking of the rules.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

At this time however, the Police have a Green Light to exploit this ambiguous 'Local Exercise' Guideline and will be quick to Slap a £200+ Fine on anyone who They deem to have breached the Government's 'Travel for Exercise' Guideline .

The Derbyshire nonsense has been reversed. I see no other evidence that the police are just waiting to pounce and "slap on" fines. Rather the reverse - I suspect that too many people have been getting away with blatant breaking of the rules.

Agreed too many have - police are there to uphold and enforce laws, and advise on guidelines Cool
snow report
@cc_7up, It's actually pretty clear IMHO, from this link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#summary-what-you-can-and-cannot-do-during-the-national-lockdown

Quote:

Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The only reason it got reversed was because of the over zealous way the Derbyshire Police treated those two women went Public.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, well done! During UK lockdown where people have to stay local if there's no hills or mountains near then I guess that might be as gnarly as it gets! Laughing
ski holidays
Snowing like hell here in Eastern France. Sadly my cross country ski boots got eaten by mice while stored in a barn. Would have been nice to do something/anything this winter.
latest report
kitenski wrote:

Quote:

The nearest Ski Touring venue is only 4.9 Miles away (Beacon Hill in Leicestershire) from where I live. Being socially distanced is not a problem to maintain. This venue seems 'Local' to me but Not 'Local' enough, according to the Authorities. Gutted. rolling eyes
snow conditions
cc_7up wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Quote:

The nearest Ski Touring venue is only 4.9 Miles away (Beacon Hill in Leicestershire) from where I live. Being socially distanced is not a problem to maintain. This venue seems 'Local' to me but Not 'Local' enough, according to the Authorities. Gutted. rolling eyes

shorter distance than Boris going to Olympic park.......
snow report
t4tomo wrote:
cc_7up wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Quote:

shorter distance than Boris going to Olympic park.......

and just to rub it in today... Loads of fresh and it's still Snowing... rolling eyes

https://www.windy.com/52.729/-1.247?snowAccu,52.642,-1.300,10,m:e61af64

http://youtube.com/v/jULS5VZ5zjU
ski holidays
cc_7up wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Quote:

I don't live in a village, town or part of a city, 4.9 miles only just about gets me to some form of shop that's barely selling the basics...
snow report
I had a few runs down the (70m!) drive today, bit of fun. Neighbour went and got his board too, had a laugh. Can't do pics so no evidence, alas.
snow report
nice pictures of rose hips ..Great
snow report
I was tempted to ski across Hampstead Heath (a few hundred yards away) on the rather thin snow we had here in London, but thought the police might think I was taking the p_ss.
latest report
If, it's your "local" park, then they can't stop you Very Happy Very Happy

There will be hundreds of people walking their dogs on the park, many of who would have driven there.

You're allowed out for exercise, and you will socially distanced. I'd do it anyway, just to test their response.
Don't forget your camera.

Might get you 5 minutes on TV if they give you a fine, then are forced to cancel it. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

We didn't get any snow yesterday, just hard frost, otherwise I would have been out on the nearest hill, even if it is 1/4 mile away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Day 2 of my lockdown ski holiday at home following yesterday's snowfall in Derby. As I did yesterday I skied from outside my front door on my old original Telemark equipment (leather boots, long skinny skis with Rottefella 3 pin bindings) along the pavements to the local Elvaston Castle Country Park about a mile from my house. Where people had walked and bashed down the snow to a nice compact layer I was able to get quite a good classic langlauf glide going. Smile Once at the park in the car park area the car tyres had compressed the snow into quite convenient loipes Laughing Here's a video of me on the way to the park, note the gnarly downhill gradient! Toofy Grin
http://youtube.com/v/6awJUKu7cs8

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 25-01-21 19:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A bit more downhill action ( Laughing ) from the top of the bridge that crossed over the river Derwent.
http://youtube.com/v/N7syZ_-bov8
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, nice!
snow conditions
Well done Alastair! snowHead
snow report
@Alastair Pink, Elvaston Castle is looking great with the snow.

Very jealous that I'm only 40 miles North, and all we got was frost. Sad Sad
ski holidays
A view of Elvaston Castle itself.

latest report
Good stuff Mr P Very Happy

No snow at all where we are - jealous of all these snowy places!

Best we have done in the last few couple of weeks has been a hard frost...
latest report
@brianatab, the snow was part melting in London, and by the next day when I read your reply it had mostly gone.
Many years ago with more and colder snow I skied from the carpark by Kenwood House more than a mile to the bottom of Parliament Hill, close to me.
latest report
@Alastair Pink, glad to see you stopped for the red lights snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy