Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are good skis for BASI Alpine L2 course?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been looking at getting a pair of skis which would be suitable for basi l2 and generally piste skiing.

I liked the look of the head super joy women's ski. Would this be a good option or are there better skis out there?

thanks!! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lski, there are always better skis out there. Nicer colours, cooler bindings, ... etc.

I don’t think L2 has any particular demands. So the world is your oyster.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just choose something that you like.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sub 80mm I'd say, a few guys turned up on wider skis for my l2 (a fair few years ago now though) and were told they wouldn't get enough performance out of them for the shorts and longs...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Best Skis for BASI Level 1 and 2 Courses from Official BASI
https://vimeo.com/259889870
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, is that not more of a comment on the skier rather than the skis?

Although I’d imagine one would want a piste oriented ski, so, fair comment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dynastar Speed Zone range
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
This is a good option. I switched from Head (Titan and iSL) to the Speed Zones (16 and 14, both with the upgraded plates - Jon will be able to advise on current models) and I've been very happy on them. I felt I was finding the limits of the Titans in longs (and I believe the Curren models are a bit softer in the tips than the version that I have), but the Dynastars are definitely more stable when you really push the performance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For BASI L1 and L2, any ski that slides, preferably an identical pair. IF the skis are an issue at this level you are chasing the wrong profession.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Head changed the PRD rail system on the Supershape range a few years ago and although they look the same they have a huge 8mm of delta and their design means that they can't be shimmed to a proper/correct angle and this has proved a big problem for many people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, Big reason we at Inside Out Skiing switched from Head to Dynastar. Head do great skis but the binding systems let down the package imo.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Idris, titter
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@Idris, titter

My point is a serious one. Instructor courses are supposed to about teaching skiing. NOT learning to ski. If you are considering teaching (regardless of BASI/NZ/PSIA?French system), learn to ski first. Take a course with someone who will push your skiing level, then step back a notch (or preferably 2 or more) and learn how to teach the basics.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris wrote:
For BASI L1 and L2, any ski that slides, preferably an identical pair. IF the skis are an issue at this level you are chasing the wrong profession.

When I was looking at some of the instruction videos on bend ze knees it occurred to me that surely most people attending those course are not seriously thinking about it as a profession - they are just having a ski clinic to improve their skiing?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Idris wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Idris, titter

My point is a serious one. Instructor courses are supposed to about teaching skiing. NOT learning to ski. If you are considering teaching (regardless of BASI/NZ/PSIA?French system), learn to ski first. Take a course with someone who will push your skiing level, then step back a notch (or preferably 2 or more) and learn how to teach the basics.

BASI L2 has a big emphasis on improving your skiing
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Idris wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Idris, titter

BASI L2 has a big emphasis on improving your skiing

I think we appreciate that - just seems a bit weird. A bit like taking someone with good holiday French and sending them on a course to be a French teacher. I mean you just wouldn't would you?
latest report
if you have already done basi one you will be a basi member so i would suggest atomic or salomon as you get a good deal on them etc..... atomic will be about 40% off
snow conditions
It feels like BASI have actively encouraged a state of affairs where their lower level courses are technical development for leisure skiers rather than a career path. Nothing wrong with that (and indeed the teaching skills of being able to respond to different problems are a technical skill in themsleves) but it's an odd system. Intuitively it also feels to the layperson that by the time someone is skilled enough to be contemplating L2 they ought to have a fair idea of what skis they should think about using rather than being prescribed a pair. I also note that from observation of instructor clinics in US and Canada they are usually on much wider skis than BASI recommend but then they usually are skiing all mountain (plus average Euro conditions can often be somewhat firmer).
ski holidays
they like piste performance skis but i guy i did L2 with was on a pair of what i would call all mountain skis but as long as he was performing the right movements in the right way that was fine, i would be able to do any of the exercises at that level on any ski but the shape of the ski would dictate the performance ie shorter ski would give shorter turns etc
snow report
@lski, regarding the ski you mention - depends how good you are and what your weak areas are, But generally yes the ski you mention should be ok for the job, piste orientated, without being full on race girders, so you can demonstrate properly, develop your performance through the course and give you the best chance of passing. The video @kitenski, posted gives you an idea of the general specs you should be looking at.

@jedster, how good do you need to be to start the ski instructor journey? Genuine question not trying to be antagonistic.
snow report
@sledger, I've got 2 videos charting my journey here, might give you some ideas??

Shorts :
http://youtube.com/v/wt_UsrA5Otc

Longs:
http://youtube.com/v/oNusod-6Roc
ski holidays
sledger wrote:
... ... how good do you need to be to start the ski instructor journey? Genuine question not trying to be antagonistic.
Perhaps one ought to be able to actually ski?

I mean, if "instructor lessons" are what people using to learn to ski, why are their customers not doing the same thing?
snow conditions
sledger wrote:
@jedster, how good do you need to be to start the ski instructor journey? Genuine question not trying to be antagonistic.

Greg, who has posted videos in this thread, was a good skier before he started on BASI. The issue is that you can be a good all mountain skier but not able to demonstrate the various moves BASI requires from you to pass the various levels of course. I don't know what the absolute lowest standard you'd need to be to pass L1 but possibly someone with single figure weeks of skiing with instruction would be able to pass.

With the French system, because there is an entrance exam, you have to be a pretty fast racer. Faster than most holiday skiers can ski a slalom course but BASI have had fast racers turn up to do L4 (having had technical exceptions) and they've had to go back and do L3 because they were not up to the standard.
latest report
davidof wrote:
sledger wrote:

Greg, who has posted videos in this thread, was a good skier before he started on BASI. The issue is that you can be a good all mountain skier but not able to demonstrate the various moves BASI requires from you to pass the various levels of course. I don't know what the absolute lowest standard you'd need to be to pass L1 but possibly someone with single figure weeks of skiing with instruction would be able to pass.

With the French system, because there is an entrance exam, you have to be a pretty fast racer. Faster than most holiday skiers can ski a slalom course but BASI have had fast racers turn up to do L4 (having had technical exceptions) and they've had to go back and do L3 because they were not up to the standard.

That is very kind of you, but the more I got into it the less I realised I knew and my eyes were opened too much, much better skiers.

I think a newer skier who had been "taught" the BASI way may have a better chance of passing earlier on as less "bad" habits too unlearn. People that failed my L1 were younger kids who were good skiers, but like you said couldn't do the movement patterns required and couldn't make the changes necessary. A classic case was young kids who couldn't ski without their legs clamped together, and thus couldn't use the edges effectively. Or others failed the L2 on bumps, and many on not being able to show what is needed for shorts, which in BASI speak is:

Piste Short
Perform grippy, (from the fall line), round, symmetrical, short turns in various corridors on a blue or easy red piste.
Show the ability to maintain a constant speed.
Use effective posture and balance.

full requirements for L2 are here

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Alpine_level_2/Alpine_level_2.aspx?WebsiteKey=211cffca-c436-4a06-844e-527af5a19586&hkey=12536def-ea70-4d52-9262-42597bbd68b4&Alpine_Level_2_Course=3#Alpine_Level_2_Course
snow report
@lski, Mrs G7 (who is BASI L2 qualified) absolutely loves Head Total Joy skis. They do most things pretty well.
ski holidays
Thank you everyone for your ski suggestions!! I think I may go for a different ski given your advice...
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@lski, Mrs G7 (who is BASI L2 qualified) absolutely loves Head Total Joy skis. They do most things pretty well.

Interesting
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

That is very kind of you, but the more I got into it the less I realised I knew and my eyes were opened too much, much better skiers.

ah yes, Diane Kruger theory, AKA Ignorance is bliss. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:

^^^ This. I did mine on Speedzone 14 (which is same ski as the 12, different binding).
kitenski wrote:
a few guys turned up on wider skis for my l2 (a fair few years ago now though) and were told they wouldn't get enough performance out of them for the shorts and longs...

One guy in our group turned up on some wide touring skis, which raised a few eyebrows until we saw him ski and realised he was going to ski the rest of us off the mountain, irrespective of what planks he was on. He passed, easily, but did get the wee wee ripped out of his oil tanker skis for the full two weeks. I'd say he's probably an exception though (and his post course feedback was, I think, to get some different equipment for L3)
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

It feels like BASI have actively encouraged a state of affairs where their lower level courses are technical development for leisure skiers rather than a career path. Nothing wrong with that (and indeed the teaching skills of being able to respond to different problems are a technical skill in themsleves) but it's an odd system.

Hmmm, I take your point, it's a bit odd if you look at the Alpine nations, but I think it's a symptom of the British Market where there is a demand for L1 and L2 instructors working part time mostly evenings and weekends on dry slopes and domes, and indeed the school trips market (interski etc.). Whilst there certainly are plenty of people who do BASI courses just to improve their skiing there is also a suprising number who started out on that path and then find they love teaching whilst doing the shadowing hours. One guy on my L2 swore he was never going to actually teach. I bumped into him the following season when he was in the middle of 6 weeks teaching for Interski, becasue he found he loved it whilst shadowing. So the system may be odd, but it serves the UK instructor market well.
Some gnarly old skiers (not thinking of anyone in particular...) get grumpy about the technical ablities of L1 instructors, but tend to forget that at the beginner level it's arguably more important to have an instructor who is enthusiastic and communicates well their love for the sport. Many part time L1/L2 BASI/IASI instructors are excellent at that (perhaps precisely because they are not doing it day in day out).
snow report
This may not be directly relevant, but a member of my family who teaches in Austria (Austrian qualification, not BASI) swears by the Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro as 'perfect for instructing'. Having said that, in his training, he was made to to ski short turns on GS race skis at one stage to make the point about technique, etc, not equipment... though I suspect that if you can make it easier on yourself then do so!

There are some pretty experienced people re BASI on here, who will give good advice.
snow report
sledger wrote:

I suppose it part depends on age and really what your aspiration is.

I guess I was reacting to the the idea of seriously pursuing instructing as a profession or career when I'm really with Idris - you'd want people to be pretty good skiers rather than made to look shabby by the average 12 year old who lives in the Alps and is a member of the local ski club.

But I totally get the idea that people may be aiming for a different role, more like helping out with the kids football team so doing a few FA coaching courses. But I wouldn't see that as a career.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:

I guess I was reacting to the the idea of seriously pursuing instructing as a profession or career when I'm really with Idris - you'd want people to be pretty good skiers rather than made to look shabby by the average 12 year old who lives in the Alps and is a member of the local ski club.

and a lot of those kids can pass the TT and ET when they reach adulthood without it turning into a k-drama.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
k-drama
What's Ketamine got to do with it?
snow report
@jedster, and others thanks for the replies and apologies for going off the topic although the issue of suitable skis has been well addressed.

I think any instructor course will include an element of performance development. The purpose of this in the BASI 2 course (from memory, I did it about 5 years ago) is so you can relate your own personal development to the requirements of teaching others and in this respect the course works very well - this 'self reflection' Smile is an important part of becoming an effective teacher.

The issue of skiing level is to an extent relative to the context of where you are skiing which as @Tubaski, points out is the reason why BASI levels have evolved as they have with the lower levels catering for artificial surfaces etc where a typical BASI 1 will look like a decent skier and with experience will be well capable of introducing beginners to the sport. As a BASI 2 when I am free skiing in a uniform after work in somewhere like Pila with interski (part-time) I don't feel too embarassed Embarassed although I accept that most of the Italian instructors (full-time) will ski to a higher level.

And getting back to skis...The standard response of its only BASI 2 if you are half decent you can turn up and pass on an old set of touring skis or twin tips or whatever is true but missing the point somewhat of using the course to improve all aspects of your skiing and teaching.
snow report
sledger wrote:

And getting back to skis...The standard response of its only BASI 2 if you are half decent you can turn up and pass on an old set of touring skis or twin tips or whatever is true but missing the point somewhat of using the course to improve all aspects of your skiing and teaching.

Yes. Turning up on an old pair of clunker skis may indicate that you don't take the whole thing very seriously. I would have thought the kind of typical piste skis most clients would be using would be suitable though.
ski holidays
Just an ability to ski any on piste ski would do.
snow report
@lski, I’ve a pair of head super joy’s.
I ski them, enjoy them, can’t fault them and wish I’d bought a pair earlier in the season.
snow conditions
sledger wrote:
@jedster, and others thanks for the replies and apologies for going off the topic although the issue of suitable skis has been well addressed.

I think any instructor course will include an element of performance development. The purpose of this in the BASI 2 course (from memory, I did it about 5 years ago) is so you can relate your own personal development to the requirements of teaching others and in this respect the course works very well - this 'self reflection' Smile is an important part of becoming an effective teacher.

The issue of skiing level is to an extent relative to the context of where you are skiing which as @Tubaski, points out is the reason why BASI levels have evolved as they have with the lower levels catering for artificial surfaces etc where a typical BASI 1 will look like a decent skier and with experience will be well capable of introducing beginners to the sport. As a BASI 2 when I am free skiing in a uniform after work in somewhere like Pila with interski (part-time) I don't feel too embarassed Embarassed although I accept that most of the Italian instructors (full-time) will ski to a higher level.

That is all fair enough. It is interesting though that things are done differently in skiing to other sports. If you have golf lesson your instructor is likely to be a scratch golfer. If you have a tennis lesson then your instructor is likely to have played at least county standard and be able to walk into most club first teams.
snow conditions
I remember when the kids were first learning, they had a lovely Dutch girl teaching their group in Hinterglemm. We caught up with them one day by chance and followed for a bit. The instructor got to a bumpy and somewhat slushy bit and promptly fell over. Later, after we had collected them, I asked if she had offered to buy them all chocolate because she fell over. They replied that she fell over all the time and it didn't matter anyway because her rucksack was stuffed full of gummy bears which she liberally dished out throughout the lesson!

Is it still a thing that instructors buy chocs for the kids or a round of drinks if they fall over?

Edit: Get something piste orientated and fairly stiff when choosing a ski for instructing. Sorry for barging into your thread!
snow report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Is it still a thing that instructors buy chocs for the kids or a round of drinks if they fall over?

Yup that is the unofficial rule. IMO it should be mandatory and in the BASI manual Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy