Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski sunday return 10-01-2021

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, have enjoyed this series and think Chemmy's technical summaries have been very in formative and a welcome change.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halfhand, agreed. She has been a great presenter this year, less fan girl ex-racer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
She has been a great presenter this year
Tonight she referred to one of the racers 'Pre-jumping'....Eh?? So jumping before they jump?? Why not just 'jumping early'?

I suppose it goes along with the modern day, yet inexplicable, annoyances like 'pre-book' and 'pre-order.' Just 'book' and 'order' surely Puzzled

Otherwise, quite a decent presenter Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amazing schedule today. Worth the month's subscription to Eurosport alone.
I think the Ed, Chemmy combo works. Despite being from the dark side, Ed is very knowledgable and has a passion for British skiers and boarders.

I see the arguments are still raging about spoiler alerts. There's no need to be hostile about it but people should get realistic. If DR gets on the podium, Snowheads should light up in minutes - and rightly so.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, "Pre-order" winds me up!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I see the arguments are still raging about spoiler alerts. There's no need to be hostile about it but people should get realistic. If DR gets on the podium, Snowheads should light up in minutes - and rightly so.

Still think it's courtesy to keep it in specific threads or warn those who may not know. Takes seconds and doesn't spoil things for those who aren't expecting to see results mentioned in certain threads.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Still think it's courtesy to keep it in specific threads or warn those who may not know. Takes seconds and doesn't spoil things for those who aren't expecting to see results mentioned in certain threads.

Sorry but going to politely disagree on this, and possible suggest it's a bit rude to expect others to not post things in certain areas at certain times. If it goes in certain threads it misses the headlines and people don't see.
If someone is such a fan, they could pay 6.99 and watch online. This is a skiers forum. If you don't want to know the ski race results until a certain time in the week, it really makes sense to stay off the ski forums. If I didn't wan to know the football scores until Match of the Day, I'd stay off the football forums.

Snowheads has members from all over the world. Many will not have heard of Ski Sunday. The Cortina page running live now is an absolute joy - watching and chatting about the race- the next best things to being there.

I remember posting when DY got on a podium only to take a lambasting from those who thought we should stay silent 'til after it was convenient for them to watch it. I'm all for respect and courtesy, but not people having a go at people posting about the ski racing on a forum of 40000 skiers when one of their skiers does well is simply unreasonable.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amazing schedule today. Worth the month's subscription to Eurosport alone.

It's all on BBC Red Button
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, was today’s AC on BBC?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
its been on eurosport 2 in the UK today - not sure if its free through satellite or not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good section on Eddie the Eagle & Glenshee on last nights Countryfile.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was watching it on Eurosport and thought it wasn’t on BBC which someone said it wasn't on another thread as well but @Dave of the Marmottes, was implying above that all the WC skiing was on BBC so was asking if indeed it was.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ster wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, was today’s AC on BBC?

I checked and it didn't appear to be, so I watched on the Eurosport app.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, It's not something new, it's been called pre-jumping for years. Remember David Vine using the phrase back in the late 70s.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am sure Ski Sunday has a purpose, it is just, personally, I am not quite sure what it is - I would rather pay my eurosport sub and watch much fuller highlights or the full event with a lot less quacking from the presenters rather than the action.
snow report
countryman wrote:
I am sure Ski Sunday has a purpose, it is just, personally, I am not quite sure what it is - I would rather pay my eurosport sub and watch much fuller highlights or the full event with a lot less quacking from the presenters rather than the action.

It's for the theme tune, which brings happy memories of yesteryear and David Vine. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, Was the theme tune used on 'Horse of the year show' as well ?

===== edit ====

Maybe not -- must be thinking of something else Embarassed
snow report
albob wrote:

===== edit ====

I think there are definitely similarities between the two themes - they both have a cantering rhythm - I've had to sometimes bring the other one to mind before I can work out which is which.
snow report
You might like this. Our own Flangesax's take on the Ski Sunday theme

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=831065004116581&id=105376281228584

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 16-02-21 0:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
motyl wrote:
albob wrote:

===== edit ====

I think there are definitely similarities between the two themes - they both have a cantering rhythm - I've had to sometimes bring the other one to mind before I can work out which is which.

I agree - definite similarities...with both being iconic.
ski holidays
countryman wrote:

I can confirm via my wife who is a avid anti skier that it does has an appeal, she watches it every week with joy.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
I was watching it on Eurosport and thought it wasn’t on BBC which someone said it wasn't on another thread as well but @Dave of the Marmottes, was implying above that all the WC skiing was on BBC so was asking if indeed it was.

My mistake - thought they had everything but clearly not some events and some look like it's a delayed package i.e. available from 4pm etc rather than live.
ski holidays
My apologies everyone - how could I have ignored the theme tune
snow report
@terrygasson I've asked Graham Bell about 'High Altitude' before, which had some great features (including leading to Graham lose part of a finger due to frostbite when staying overnight in an igloo I think), but if that Ed Leigh interview ever (taking some time) happens, I'll let you know.

FWIW I also interviewed Charlotte Bankes (not Brookes) in the most recent episode of the podcast:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7802095-68-skiing-the-berlin-wall-jungfrau-review-avalanches-charlotte-bankes

I also understand Ed Leigh has done his ACL, but didn't look like that in the intro piece last week...recorded a long way in advance?
snow report
Thanks @iainm, not sure how I got charlotte's surname wrong, cannot even blame it on alcohol as currently on a dry jan and feb!!!!!!

I listened to the latest podcast last night, it was and also the last few that I have caught up on have been interesting.

I have always been fascinated by telemark skiers, so was great to have Jasmin Taylor on this episode, and will be watching out for her in the Beijing Olympics next winter.

was I right in thinking that the mayor featured in the snow report from the resort in Idaho was British, has he featured in previous episodes?
don't know why, but it too me by surprise!!!

I am looking forward to the next episode, especially the segment on becoming a pistuer, I know a SH on here has recently become one.
snow report
terrygasson wrote:
I have always been fascinated by telemark skiers, so was great to have Jasmin Taylor on this episode, and will be watching out for her in the Beijing Olympics next winter.

Sadly you won't be able to as Telemark racing is not (yet) in the Winter Olympics. Sad FIS, the world governing body of ski racing, recommended to the International Olympic Committee that Telemark be included in the Beijing Winter Olympics, but the IOC decided not to, even though they added 5 new events arguably far more esoteric than Telemark.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, sorry, once again I got confused, it was charlotte Bankes who said about going to sochi and south korea, last couple of Olympics.

I am having a brain freeze at the moment, I blame it on the lockdown!!!!!

as you say, its a shame that it is not in the Olympics, I would have thought it would have been, as I assume that it is a technique that has been around forever!!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 19-02-21 14:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I too am fascinated by telemark. “How can we make skiing even harder on the legs? I know, let’s introduce lunging mid turn!”. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was reading recently that Garmisch in 1936 was the first Winter Olympics to feature alpine skiing. Meaning it has less of an Olympic pedigree than military patrol (which appears to be biathlon for people who think that cross-country with rifles is a bit soft), dog sledding and skijoring. The latter looks like the weirdest snowsport to emerge before ski ballet.
snow conditions
Well that was the last SS (forever?) They had a whole World Championships to concentrate, a ton of great GB performances in lots of other areas, on and they decided it was a good idea to stray into BLM, George Floyd, even Windrush etc and the backlash on social media is quite something. I've skied with lots of people who would qualify as being BAME and I not sure what the point of the segment was other than to keep up the woke-ness quota. It was all a bit bizarre. David Vine will be turning in his grave.
ski holidays
Quote:

a ton of great GB performances in lots of other areas, on and they decided it was a good idea to stray into BLM, George Floyd, even Windrush etc and the backlash on social media is quite something. I've skied with lots of people who would qualify as being BAME and I not sure what the point of the segment was other than to keep up the woke-ness quota

@Pruman, Agreed..... it was bizarre - imv it didn't need addressing like that.
ski holidays
I’ll admit I was raging last night, felt like I was being branded a racist for skiing.
Completely no need for it
snow report
Think you might have missed the point - I thought the chap was saying (as Chemmy herself admitted) that all the noise around BLM etc was making people realise that there are problems for representation that might not be easily recognised by white people because they'd never experienced or thought about them. Therefore pretty interesting, in my view, to look at the predominant whiteness of skiing in Europe through that prism, especially if the barriers seem less obvious to those who ski, but are very much felt by those who don't.

I didn't see anything to make one feel racist for skiing, or to say that no one who is not white, skis - just thought it was pretty thought provoking. Reminded me of similar conversations around Oliver Skeet, a black show jumper in the 90s - 'why the problem' everyone said, while he made valid points about culture, background and lack of opportunity, funding/sponsorship and representation. Projects particularly in London have made strides in getting more diversity in equestrian sports, but as noted on Ski Sunday, this needed to be targeted and persistent and is ongoing

Anyway, in other news - Dave Ryding, groan!!
snow report
I have spent over a decade getting working class kids (mainly), from one of the most deprived areas of northern England into snowsports, via an annual trip to Austria. I reckon I have introduced over 400 kids into snowsports, many of whom still ski/board today.

The BAME faces were there, but rare. When you try to encourage them to participate, they don't say "but skiing is for white people", they say "it's not something I'm interested in". It's not in their cultural scope (though I try to challenge and change that).

The white kids who didn't want to go also said "it's not something I'm interested in".

*I've just realised by saying that it's not in their cultural scope, I have made an assumption based on their ethnicity - the truth is probably "it's not something I'm interested in".

Three things stood out in the report for me;

Firstly, the American bloke who linked the continued "whiteness" of the mountains at past segregation - that's clearly particular to the US, as we have never had segregation in Europe.

Secondly, when Ed Leigh made the point that BAME have disposable income that they want to spend, possibly in the mountains - the kids I deal with (of all ethnicities), are told skiing isn't for them because they are poor - "it's a rich man's game". Break that barrier and you break the BAME barrier.

Finally, the same American bloke "advising the brands"??? In what way is how Burton design their kit, a cultural barrier to BAME getting into the hills?? It sounds more like "BAME have disposable money - how do we get it off of them?"

Like @Jonny996, I think I was left feeling I was being lectured and told I'm a racist. (Oh, I think that's white fragility rolling eyes )
snow report
@ElzP, "lack of opportunity" < this, all day long!

Break that barrier.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Well that was the last SS (forever?) They had a whole World Championships to concentrate, a ton of great GB performances in lots of other areas, on and they decided it was a good idea to stray into BLM, George Floyd, even Windrush etc and the backlash on social media is quite something. I've skied with lots of people who would qualify as being BAME and I not sure what the point of the segment was other than to keep up the woke-ness quota. It was all a bit bizarre. David Vine will be turning in his grave.

Perhaps reactions like this are precisely the reason that they did need to do it?

The most relavant part I thought was the bit about who got you into snowsports and the significant barrier if you don't know people who can show you the ropes logistically around what is involved for the first time.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, nah, it was just a cheap punt by the BBC. Same could be true of many sports, eg; cycling, golf, sailing. Imv it was a cheap shot at being politically hip and they failed badly. May be true in the US but not in Europe.
snow report
I was talking to a guy of SE Asian heritage at Braehead a few years ago. He was a very good skier, but it turned out that he had never actually been to the mountains. When I asked him why not, he said that ski resorts were not for people like him. I clarified that he meant for people of his ethnicity. Whilst I tried to persuade him otherwise in truth I could see what he meant. If that is how you feel it is going to be a very big barrier to participation.
ski holidays
I look forward to seeing the BBC programme / segment on why cycling is so white.

Damn sight more accessible and cheaper than skiing.

If the BBC had really wanted to address this then Phil could have been on the show all season. Used to love Board Stupid.

I've worked with and taught BAME skiers and snowboarders, admittedly not many, and like me they started because they saw programmes on TV and segments in films and wanted to give it a go.

I was the first person in my family to ski and I did it through working as a chalet boy.

Pre-brexit and COVID there was never a better time for someone of any background to try winter sports.
snow report
I don't know why anyone would get cross about that section. For what it's worth I think they were spot on. Like Chemmy said, I had never previously given it a second thought, then a couple of years back we were in the French Alps and there were a couple of people of colour. I remember thinking at the time that that was the first time I'd ever seen any people of colour skiing and it was obvious that everyone else on the mountain was white.

I think Ed nailed it too, when he pointed out some of the barriers to entry were lack of experience.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy