Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blisters with touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hypafix tape worked for me.
Only did a short tour yesterday (600m elevation) and used some of that hypafix tape. Normally I would have a bit of rubbing and the heels would be a bit sore but with the tape no soreness whatsoever.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Duct tape before hand works for me, taped around and over the top of my foot

Top tip: don't forget to shave first Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hawkesbaynz wrote:
Since I was in the Army I have sworn by a sheet of fine zinc oxide tape directly onto the blister or potential site of the blister.

Works for potential SAS troopers doing the Pen Y Fan dance should work for touring skis.

The serous fluid can ooze out of the tape onto the sock. The boot/sock rubs onto the tape not the skin

This type:
https://www.medisave.co.uk/leukoplast-25cm-x-92m-zinc-oxide-adhesive-tape-per-roll-p-1215.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgvzb6YKZ7gIVcmHmCh02PgteEAYYByABEgL8XvD_BwE

Give it a google although I used it 20 years before google

+ 1 - goes onto the known “hot spots” prior to blistering. Apply with sock position in mind to prevent it being rolled off. If on multi hut, dry feet and powder them leave to air , if necessary remove tape and and reapply.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
>I am a devotee of Leukotape. Snap.
Otherwise known as zinc oxide tape.
And I leave boot foot clip(s) done up normally to stop foot moving/heel lifting, I just loosen off leg clips, strap and fwd lean lock.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing to add on the what, but super critical is the when. Add the protection before the blister comes along. If your on a multi day it can be a total show stopper. If you’ve a problem on an ascent and get a “hot spot” then stop the party and deal with it, (and the moaning) before its too late.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Compeed etc certainly helps where there's rubbing movement. As others have said the ideal is to reduce the rubbing movement in the first place. This is why I love my Scarpa boots. They have a long plastic strap with a micro adjustment that runs across the front of the foot exactly opposite the heel (i.e. above the foot clips and below the shin clips. I was out on Tuesday and became aware of slight rubbing on my left heel. Tightened the micro adjuster a couple of notches and problem solved. I don't understand why other makes don't adopt it given keeping the heel is place is so key.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zinc oxide tape stops blisters but also has a tendency to leave permanent remains on the inside of your sock. ZO tape with Hypafix tape over the top eliminates this I've found this year. Also the Hypafix tape is stickier and less likely to slide/come off
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ed_sec wrote:
Compeed etc certainly helps where there's rubbing movement. As others have said the ideal is to reduce the rubbing movement in the first place. This is why I love my Scarpa boots. They have a long plastic strap with a micro adjustment that runs across the front of the foot exactly opposite the heel (i.e. above the foot clips and below the shin clips. I was out on Tuesday and became aware of slight rubbing on my left heel. Tightened the micro adjuster a couple of notches and problem solved. I don't understand why other makes don't adopt it given keeping the heel is place is so key.

It's a feature of 3 piece, tongued/cabrio shell designs - but you can't really do it with more conventional designs.
I have narrow heels so heel hold is a key issue for me which is one of the reasons I think I get on well with cabrio boots
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hypafix is a cracking first aid burns dressing too. can be removed with the Vaseline no longer required for the blisters!

Them SAS troopers may have made their boots more malleable by urinating into them. Don't encourage that with Scarpa Boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy