Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French lifts to open start of Spring 2021 ?

Poster: A snowHead
A retired friend who lives near Ste Foy tells me he has skied almost every day. I gather snow is rather thin, but cold weather has kept powder in good nick.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
timlongs wrote:
davidof wrote:
sucette wrote:
KenX wrote:
davidof wrote:
Weekend lockdown being trailed as most likely scenario by the press

Makes sense, should have a big impact on the spread of the virus, whilst minimising economic impact........

Huh... maybe... not great for those of us who are only likely to get any business during the weekends at the moment though... Sad

Oh well... if it can save Feb/March I'll run with it !

My assumption is that lifts won't be opening any time soon given the trajectory at the moment and with the arrival of the English variant. If we can escape a full 1km/1hr lockdown it would be nice.

There is an announcement by Jean Castex tonight. Probably an 18h curfew nationwide but apparently there will be local measures as well. Behind the scenes the govt has been advised for a full lockdown lasting 2 months but they won't want to do that.

Pretty sure the announcement is tomorrow evening.

Yes Thursday you are right.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Ski have given.up for this season:

https://www.leski.com/chalet-holidays/special-offers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Is it still the case that people who live in France can travel to the mountain resorts, rent accommodation and enjoy the non-skiing aspects of a holiday in the snow?

They can, and I had bookings for Christmas, New Year, and a short break Mon-Fri last week. I've got two possibles for half-term weeks,but are naturally waiting for further annoucements from the French government re curfews, lockdowns etc before they commit. Everyone so far has said what a wonderful time they've had and how much they've appreciated the village, even if bars were closed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, same here (Chamonix). Sis in law was full albeit at hugely reduced prices. We heard today that a few of the (better) and open hotels are doing really well despite reductions in price and room service only. Extraordinary.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that as many hotels have closed due to not being able to offer food/drink etc the French are using bookings.com & AirBnB a lot.

I was at friends the other night and they now have eight apartments in the Sporting just below me, and they were well booked up over the holidays, again at reduced rates.

But like I said in my infamous "Hordes" post, I was staggered at how busy the resort was with people making the most on what's on offer.

And taking a leaf out of my Cornish friend's vocabulary, they refer to people of a certain vintage that travel down there outside of High Season as "nearly deads" and we have a fair number of those around at the moment too (me included Laughing ) as they tend to enjoy non-lifts activities anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our mairie have just issued an arret. It's a strong recommendation really given that pisting, control, etc has been pared back. Jandri was running up to the glacier though for training.

Dernier arrêté concernant le domaine skiable. Le domaine skiable est fermé et non sécurisé depuis lundi 11 janvier 2021 jusqu'à nouvel ordre ... Tout déplacement sur neige en dehors des zones urbanisées est déconseillé et répond aux conditions des zones de montagne...

The full document includes other things as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So with a week to go until the big decision what is everyone thinking?
Cyber pint/glass of wine to whoever gets it right!
My gut feeling is they won't open the lifts at all for the rest of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alpinebear, Tomorrow...everything crossed in hope.

https://www.sortiraparis.com/actualites/coronavirus/articles/240312-conference-de-presse-de-jean-castex-ce-jeudi-14-janvier-les-annonces-attendues
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alpinebear, +1 I'm afraid as well

Guide mate in La Grave reckons the same as well

And my OH is still in UK and putting the travelling "rules" debate aside, whilst she would have a test to travel, we've more or less decided travelling by any means other than a car is just too risky currently.

And don't think I've mentioned it but my 97-year-old mum tested positive on Saturday, she had the vaccine nigh on a couple of weeks ago and in her own words apart from a bad sore throat, she's fighting fit. However I spoke to a member of the staff at the home in Kent today, and where they have been so good at keeping it at bay, she said to me it's just ripped through the home like wildfire these past three weeks, and it seemed just after they were all given the vaccine Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That’s terrible. Hopefully the vaccine built a bit of immunity before they got it.

I’d bet that pint of wine the season is done for now too. They’re going to be too worried about too many half-termers seeding clusters of these new variants all over France.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, I do hope your Mum is OK.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wishing your mum a speedy recovery.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With youth ski clubs able to use the lifts in France is there an easy way to get a 6 year old joined up to a club so she could ski in the Feb half term? Does the exemption also apply to private youth lessons? Could I start my own ski club? I can’t find the details online of which kids can use the lifts in France at the moment.
snow conditions
@hold_my_biere, it is not completely impossible. You would need to find a club that is organizing "stage" over half term. However all the mamans tigres will already have considered that for their little darlings so you may have trouble finding space.
snow report
You’d presumably have to pass the Eurotest first...
snow report
@Weathercam, fingers crossed for your mum. with the new variant, once in care homes, it seems impossible to contain the infection numbers.
snow report
@Weathercam, all good wishes for your Mum.
snow conditions
Curfew from 6 to 6 extended to all of France from Saturday.
snow conditions
Who thought it was a good idea to go to Mozambique??!
latest report
No new confinement but on the cards if things get worse.
snow report
anyone arriving to france from UK now need to arrive with a neg test, isolate for 7 days, and then have another test
snow conditions
@Claude B, you should get a job at the BBC you beat their breaking news
snow conditions
That's not difficult.......
snow report
Schools staying open - phew!
snow report
Laughing Laughing

I don't think anything is going to be said about skiing.

Everyone I've spoken to today think it's a foregone conclusion. Closed for the season.
snow conditions
@Claude B, I think they're right.

I am still confused as to which qualified scientists are suggesting that the virus knows what time it is.

As a friend posted a few mins ago, "Ben pas grave, on attaquera les apéros à 15h. Toccards."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, I thought it was the 20th for any decisions?
snow report
Quote:

it seemed just after they were all given the vaccine

that's very sad. Any new people coming into care homes and getting close enough the vaccinate people must bring some risks, no matter how careful everybody is.
snow conditions
Nothing said re skiing, restaurants etc, not great news............
Castex winding up now, Veran's up next, maybe he'll be a ray of hope!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I am still confused as to which qualified scientists are suggesting that the virus knows what time it is.
They're kind of assuming most people are not idiots who will simply mingle earlier - that the majority will go home after work. Thereby reducing, if only by a bit, the spread of the virus.

But yes, my view is that those scientists are over optimistic.
snow conditions
Quote:

But yes, my view is that those scientists are over optimistic.

I would guess the scientists would prefer a full lockdown; but the politicians and the people don't…
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:
Schools staying open - phew!

+1 excellent ! That was the bit I was dreading the most...
Love this thread... I get to spend quality evening time with my kids and just log on here at 21h to pick up the latest announcements !! Very Happy Cheers !
snow report
timlongs wrote:
anyone arriving to france from UK now need to arrive with a neg test, isolate for 7 days, and then have another test
Anyone arriving from outside of the EU. Good one BoJo Sad
ski holidays
@Weathercam, so sorry to hear about your mum, not easy having elderly parents in another country at the moment...
ski holidays
@davidof, that's a great photo !
latest report
sucette wrote:
@Weathercam, so sorry to hear about your mum, not easy having elderly parents in another country at the moment...

Actually made no difference to when I was back in the UK as I could not see her, in fact back in mid Nov drove all the way up to see her and was unable to because of some new rules they'd instigated and I had not received the email.

Been zooming her ever since, but not that easy with the tech and a hard of hearing 97 yr old, she couldn't get her head around how we were all the screen at the same time.

See Care Homes are back in the news with Covid ripping through them again Sad

Anyway, thread drift....

Really does look like I might not see the OH for quite a while now, luckily there's WhatsApp video Laughing

Out for an early tour to see if we can find any decent snow left in a forest what with all the strong winds and warm temps the last three days, and XC is not fun in strong winds.

Looks like we had all of a couple of cms overnight ?
snow report
2cm in Morzine. Rained to 1200m most of yesterday. We have a really good base here now but with an AVI risk of 4 at all levels on all faces it's going to be limited touring. They have largely stopped pisting anything too. That may be a sign of things to come.

Castex talked about possible intra EU travel restrictions as well as the 7 day rule for non EU.
@Weathercam, fingers crossed for your mum
ski holidays
We've had a huge dump overnight and it's still falling. However they've stopped pisting and controls here. Mairie have sent out warnings and pisteurs are issuing informal reports, they're mostly not working. Avi L4 too. I'll do something tomorrow when the forecast is better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy