Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you could only ski one area?

Poster: A snowHead
Just suppose you could ski one area. Your favourite??
Mine would be the Dolomites. Not as steep as I would like and certainly not the accessibile off piste or trees like the USA I have had the privilege of skiing . The scenery, welcoming locals not to mention the food and architecture. It’s relaxing . I’ve worked and stayed in most of the Dolomite resorts. It’s a tough call as the USA offers very different ski experience. Winter Park a favourite.
We love France and Grand Massif which we return to yearly now with pets.
What’s yours ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Amadé. I live here. It has everything I want. Of course it's nice to have the odd day trip somewhere else, but not essential.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Japan, if I could travel by magic wand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dolomites Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dolomites isn't one ski area - it's a region. The rules on qualification are not clear here. On the same basis I'd go for Interior BC (or all of BC so I get WB and all the heli ops up the coast as a Brucey bonus)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido, Japan
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
susieski wrote:

We love France and Grand Massif which we return to yearly now with pets.

Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
susieski, Thats easy really, if you're taking the Dolomites I'll take the Rockies Toofy Grin

Since they stretch from Northern BC to New Mexico encompassing all our favourite ski areas in North America Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski-Arlberg Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Alps Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Europe snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll stick with the Alps, though Rockies and Dolomites both have their attractions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hard to answer this one, although I have done about 100 weeks of skiing, it has been in a small number of areas.
Paradiski probably gives the best mix of challenging piste & offpiste and affordable mountain food, by food, I mean essential nutrition rather than an enjoyable experience Laughing
The two Canadian resorts I have skied Kicking horse & Silverstar had by far the best challenging "piste" skiing but were too small.
Dolomites, excellent, affordable food but the piste skiing is spoiled by too much grooming.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the Dolomites are permitted than I'd raise you and go for the Alps
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Other things being equal, the Dolomites. Where people don't take their skiing toooooooooooo seriously and there is such a great choice of lunch spots.
ski holidays
Tough call. I love the Dolomites, but if I have to be restricted to one ski area it would be the Jungfrau ski area. Being a member of the DHO in Wengen just tips the balance for me. Smile
latest report
At the moment...anywhere.
snow report
I have got to the stage where I normally leave my skis at Les Deux Alpes. Good skiing. Unpretentious resort. Friendly locals. Fellow skiers I know and like. OK, the lift pass for me is free, too!
snow report
@red 27,
Now have 2 dogs that come with us. Easier driving to GM
snow conditions
@susieski, ah yes, dogs, driving, I see what you're saying.

I thought for a moment your goldfish liked the Flaine architecture or something...
ski holidays
Mount Baker seems fun
latest report
@Alastair Pink, Not a member of DHO, but yes, Jungfrau it is... Close call with the Dolomites though.
snow report
If I need to be more specific than "Europe" then Dolomites, and if I can't have all of them then I'll make do with just those that are all on the 1 main lift pass (which is my criteria for an area). Plus there's shed loads of non-skiing stuff within that geographical area too for the summer Smile some of which is among the most scenic in any of the alpine nations.

But I certainly would cheat and get 1 bonus trip in to Jungfrau first Wink
snow report
Aosta valley. snowHead
snow report
Snozone Milton Keynes
snow report
If it was linked skiing then the Dolomites would be awesome. Ski Amade needs busses, ao that rules it out according to my rules, but for size and variety I'd say the 3v
snow conditions
anywhere on 1 pass is my criteria for an area
in which case that Salzburgerland pass area would be my backup choice Smile
ski holidays
@andy, what's that, about 10000000000km of skiing?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know very many areas, but if I was choosing somewhere to base myself, or for lots of repeat visits, then it needs to have the longest possible season, therefore Hintertux (Zillertal?) or another glacial area.
Or I'll just take Lapland and leave you lot with the altitude.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, I've done a week on a glacier... Only bearable with full-time top-notch instruction (A.K.A. instructors course) and a lot of luck as snow was deep enough well below the glacier for Off-pisting.

2 months later at the PSB only Double-M was open.

There's lots of fun things to do in the mountains when the snow melts, so season is not nearly as much a big concern, in fact... Jungfrau or Dolomites will win out again.

@andy, Eigerbiketrails ?
latest report
@Ronald, sorry, I meant to say an area which includes a glacier - not just the glacier per se.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, Gotcha, I meant to imply it wouldn't have much value as it is boring as bleep
latest report
@Ronald, that eiger bike challenge looks "fun". bit too much tarmac though Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, you win the first reference to Mt. Baker I've seen here. Anybody who likes new snow likes Baker. Really a better off-piste area, but they can say this and I don't think any other area can: in 1998 they got 1,140 inches of snowfall, an annual record. But that isn't the coolest thing about it. Even better: they opened in October of the following season, because the prior season's snowpack was still there! I have never heard of such a thing beyond a glacier.

I'll take Mt Bachelor. 6th largest area in the US. Reliably open from early Dec to late May, great trees, excellent cruising and lift system. Not much steeps, but I'm getting old. A day area-not one bed within 30 minutes. In the spring, golf in the afternoon.
latest report
Great question.

If I had one ski day left on the planet...

If I was 18 Espace Killy

If I was 28 Whistler with 2 days in Vancouver

If I was 38 with Young kids Risoul.

I am 48ish The Great War ring in the Dollies
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, Like your thought process.

18 - St Anton (Solo)

28 - Chamonix (Avec epouse)

38 - Dolomites (Con i bambini)

48 - Ski Amade (Mit Hausschuhen und einer guten Zigarre ).
snow conditions
I would have based my self somewhere in the valley in Valais, Switzerland (probably Sion).
ski holidays
Haven't been skiing in many places so I'd choose where I keep going back to - Banff. Big enough for variety, importantly "off-piste" (inbounds) wherever you want it, National Park beauty in the summer. I accept the food isn't great, though last time I'd got the impression they were sponsored by the beef farmers of Alberta...
latest report
Whistler, or 3 Valleys. 10 yrs ago, would have said Les Grands Montets (Chamonix)
snow report
Hokkaido
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy