Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well closed lifts didn't stop the hordes coming

Poster: A snowHead
Before I arrived in Serre Chevalier, New Years Eve, I'd heard from friends in Serre that it was busy, and you only had to look at some of the Cams to see people taking to ski touring.

As I drove down the valley through Monetier (an oldy worldy village where many a SH has stayed) I was amazed at the numbers of people walking around and queuing at shops.

I had an early New Years Eve and was up early ski touring up the piste and hardly anyone was around, but I could see how many people were in the resort simply by the volume of cars in the various parking areas and overspills in other private areas like the one below us Mad

As I was skiing down so I started to see more and more people climbing up, snowshoes, boot packing, skins etc etc and by the time I made it to where I'd parked my car the parking area was rammed!

I went for a pero at friends and was on my way home before the curfew (20:00 and now 18:00 from today) and it was eerily quiet, then this morning I met my friends to take them cross-country skiing and I've never seen so many people on the XC piste and again, even though many were leaving being a Saturday transfer day, the parking was really busy!

Now many more will be leaving tomorrow Sunday and some might stay up to Monday making it a long weekend, but locals say Monday onwards will be a ghost town!

So it is very much a French habitude that they must take their holiday at all costs, and even though there are no lifts they flock to the mountains to just be on holiday.

I don't know if the big high altitude resorts were as busy compared to lower valley resorts which tend to be much more picturesque and more to do for the non-skier.

Many bars have moved their offerings to the outside and as I drove past one tonight it was really busy and it looked a really good atmosphere so to speak, but also a potential Covid hotspot as no masks due to people drinking

So based on what I've seen, and a mate who has six apartments very close to me with all of them booked this week, I'd guess that the hordes will be back in February as even with the lifts closed it's not put them off having their holiday, and there is a chance that restaurants and bars may well be open by then.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At the risk of seeming churlish, are you not part of the horde?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's happening here too - people walking around the harbour paths in much greater numbers than usual, many of them complaining about the crowds.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, you made it then? Even though Tier 4 is not meant to travel abroad?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, Are there many UK number plates to be seen ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In my normal forest play-area yesterday the hordes were out and in places well off the beaten track... One couple stopped me to ask directions - they had travelled from Birmingham to go for walk in the New Forest Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, I was traveling back as a potential French Resident*
which is allowed under restrictions.

@thunderer, not seen any UK plates

Should add my definition of hordes is those that descend en masse, stay for a week in commercial residences etc then leave, normally causing chaos in both directions Laughing

*Vous venez d’effectuer une demande en ligne de titre de séjour dans le cadre de l’accord de retrait du Royaume-Uni de l’Union européenne.

Le dépôt de cette demande au nom de Weathercam a été enregistré sous le numéro 29-945631.

Votre dossier va être transféré pour instruction vers la préfecture de votre lieu de résidence.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very busy in the Peaks today too!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Levi has had its busiest New Years week to date. Finns decided to stay local and go skiing. The queue into the Alko made national newspaper. Queues for chair and gondola were 30 minutes at some times during the week. Yllas was also quite busy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The first wave was great for this stuff - “I can’t believe how many people I saw walking in the park ... whilst I was taking a walk in the park”
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A “potential resident “ we’re happy to bend every rule as long as we get to do what we want. Self, and some regulars on here included . It’s no wonder there’s no end in sight.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hold_my_biere, the point I was trying to make as this is a ski forum, is that even with the lifts closed people still decided to come to the mountains.

For many on this forum they quite rightly can't see the point of going to a ski resort if there are no lifts.

It would seem however for the many French taking their holiday over the New Year this was not an issue.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@r11s, the application for residency had nothing to do with Covid, but the little matter of Brexit!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"I can't believe I'm stuck in all this traffic"
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A happy coincidence then that allowed travel to France during the pandemic. Like a said, as long as we can do what we like we will justify it to ourselves. After all , the rules are for everyone else and we’re not doing any harm
latest report
Quote:

Should add my definition of hordes is those that descend en masse, stay for a week in commercial residences etc then leave, normally causing chaos in both direction

= other people. Laughing The non-entitled ones cluttering up our chosen retreats.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The non-entitled ones cluttering up our chosen retreats.

Sounds like Trudi Styler and Harry Windsor
ski holidays
@r11s, no harm, as I had to cough up £159 for a PCR test so I could travel Very Happy
latest report
Christ on a bike, this is the second thread in as many weeks that a balanced regular contributor is getting ripped apart for sharing their experience.
Get a grip of yourselves and honestly ask yourself if you would say that to them in person
snow report
@Jonny996, I would. The OP is far from a balanced contributor. He has form for posting how he got round rules in France earlier in the year. He has no time for anyone who doesn't share his views or who isn't athletic. The smugometer is off the scale.
ski holidays
r11s wrote:
A happy coincidence then that allowed travel to France during the pandemic. Like a said, as long as we can do what we like we will justify it to ourselves. After all , the rules are for everyone else and we’re not doing any harm

TBF, for a number of EU countries it was a case of be living in country as a resident before Brexit Day, or you're Be Nice please! and the chance is lost. I think that really can be put in the 'essential travel' bucket.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
....He has form for posting how he got round rules in France earlier in the year....

I'm intrigued, as we're not even two days into the year Laughing
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, I was unaware of his form
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@r11s, no harm, as I had to cough up £159 for a PCR test so I could travel Very Happy

FCDO tell us not to travel to France unless essential. But we’re all special so can do what we want. I’ve ventured to T2 from T3 for a jolly cos I considered it ok. Seeing this thread , and another, with individuals humble boasting about doing whatever they please if they can get away with it has opened my eyes to how selfish myself and many others have been. It’s not just the folk queuing for primark that are numpties
latest report
@Jonny996, I can only think that she's referring to my residency application as a retiree, and that I my or may not go through with it as the whole post Brexit scenario is for ever changing re long term Visas ?????

But like I've said this post was meant to be about how people are flocking to the mountains even with no lifts running rolling eyes
snow report
At least they’re getting out and exercising in the fresh air which is massively important for mental well being. That’s the thing with snapshots of life like this, we have no idea what’s going on in and around their lives, what they might be running from or having to deal with at home. This might be their one chance to get out and take a positive step away from a bad situation that they’ve been dealing with.

Not saying anyone here In this thread has done that, more a wider observation Of what’s been happening on various social media platforms.
snow report
ciderinsport wrote:
In my normal forest play-area yesterday the hordes were out and in places well off the beaten track... One couple stopped me to ask directions - they had travelled from Birmingham to go for walk in the New Forest Shocked

When we have popped upto Frogham or hubby has gone across to the forest on his bike he keeps looking at number plates in the car park and getting rather cross Sad
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

But like I've said this post was meant to be about how people are flocking to the mountains even with no lifts running rolling eyes

thread drift.

Given you had a test before traveling I can't see the issue as you were basically forced to be in residence. A bit out of your control.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, And as I traveled. Residential address in France. And at least we had negative Covid tests. Probably unlike the hoards using airports in T4 areas??
snow conditions
I thought the "advice" prevailing at some point in France, was along the lines of "the mountains are open, come and enjoy the environment and fresh air, but the ski lifts will remain closed" if so, has that been retracted?
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

So it is very much a French habitude that they must take their holiday at all costs

I'm not English. So I don't share all the enthusiasm in following rules strictly.

I was enjoying reading the post on how to be creative in an unusual time, until I came upon the above sentence. IN BOLD, no less. I thought that was unnecessarily condescending...

Then, I realize he's got "French residency". He's one of them!

It explains a lot. Laughing Laughing Laughing

So it is very much a French habitude that we must take our holiday at all costs
Fix it for ya! snowHead
ski holidays
We've probably all broken some rules, or wished we could be in the mountains too. It's the OP's distinguishing himself from the "hordes" which is so irritating.
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
@Hells Bells, And as I traveled. Residential address in France. And at least we had negative Covid tests. Probably unlike the hoards using airports in T4 areas??

My comments weren't a criticism. It was a genuine question as to his reasons for travelling, as Weathercam has expressed his wishes not to have to become a French resident, and I knew that was probably the only genuine reason for him to be able to travel.
snow report
pam w wrote:
We've probably all broken some rules, or wished we could be in the mountains too. It's the OP's distinguishing himself from the "hordes" which is so irritating.

Oh so +1.but not just him
snow report
@holidayloverxxI would genuinely have liked the opportunity to become a 'potential resident', but was not able to do so.
latest report
I do love a well closed lift, there's no room for ambiguity.
snow report
Quote:

It's happening here too - people walking around the harbour paths in much greater numbers than usual, many of them complaining about the crowds.

Went up Kingley Vale early this morning...car park overflowing (badly) and heaving! Nothing better to do...
snow report
If we’re talking about people being where they shouldn’t be, central Edinburgh has been full of tourists & it’s obvious as they are walking about with suitcases.
It’s pointless having laws or guidelines if no one is going to enforce them
latest report
davidof wrote:
At the risk of seeming churlish, are you not part of the horde?

+1 Skinning around looking down on the hordes just read like superciliousness. Most of the rest of us cant or choose not to indulge ourselves.
snow conditions
And yes to an earlier post (christ on a bike)- i would say that to someone in person. I've apologised on another thread once for posting something and realising it was wrong. This time not.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy