Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longer Stay - Zillertal vs Ski Welt

Poster: A snowHead
Last January I spent 3 weeks in Innsbruck skiing the surrounding hills, and also made some day trips to the likes of Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel and The Zillertal. One of my trips this year was to have been to Westerndorf with a group of friends including some beginners and children. In order to calm nerves amongst some of the group we made the decision a month ago to postpone the trip until next January, 2022.

So next year I'd like to do a longer stay again, and as I'll already be in Westerndorf in Jan it makes sense to base myself somewhere nearby. The Zillertal valley looks like a great place for a base - there are so many different options and easy transport links, and I've an acquaintance who spends every Jan there and loves it as well as having local contacts and knowledge. For those who don't know the area the Zillertal and Ski Welt (Soll, Westerndorf, Brixen etc) are in neighbouring valleys (or just about) and I could move between them fairly easily.

I haven't skied the Skiwelt at all. I know Westerndorf is beginner and family friendly, but what is the rest of the area like? I'm looking for somewhere to do lots of off-piste and touring, but I'm not going to be leaping of cliffs or training for the FWT. So access to off-piste and also to guides or groups I could join.

This is one for Clarky999 and Scarlet (thanks for the help last year guys) and anyone who knows both areas.

p.s I'm thinking of coming and going a bit - poss in Dec (PSB gets 1st dibs obv!), most of Jan and poss again in March although other Bashes might get in the way.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tom Doc, I'd say it's quite a drive from Zillertal to SkiWelt, but doable for a day trip. SkiWelt is probably less "off-pistey" than Zillertal and Westerndorf is probably the least beginner-friendly base.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@queenie pretty please, Ok, I'm not thinking of day trips, rather that I'll relocate for a week to Westerndorf.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tom Doc, for a three week trip a season pass makes sense, but you’d have to be careful to make sure that the pass covers the areas you want to visit, as for example the Salzburg Superski card covers the Skiwelt and Kitz plus the Zillertal Arena out of Zell am Ziller, but it does not cover Mayrhofen or Hintertux

Either area would be OK, with Pass Thurn at the far end of Kitzbühel offering lots of off piste and some of the area around Hohe Salve above Soll being worth investigating plus some scattered other bits, but the Zillertal as a whole offers more. If you were restricted to the Zell-Gerlos-Konigsleiten sector, that’s fairly limited

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-01-21 20:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A longer stay in jan is not so much an issue. However, Zillertal has advantage of much greater height in places as by march much of skiwelt and kitzbuhel can get very slushy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Westendorf is one of my favourite places for piste skiing and really ideal for family trips, but for your longer stay I think (from what friends say, I've still never skied there!) Zillertal will be much more up your street with more/bigger freeride terrain.

That equation might change a bit if you include Kitzbühel in the SkiWelt zone too, but Zillertal (Hochfügen especially) is considered one of Tirol's freeride hotspots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hit up the doc for full skinny on the Hof.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ousekjarr, @countryman, @clarky999, Thanks guys. From my single day in Zillertal last January I thought it loooked like there was lots of scope. I'll investigate further.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Zillertall ... Amen
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiWelt is a good family friendly area but no "serious" off piste (in good conditions there is a fair amount of skiing amongst the trees but good conditions are not that common) cant think that it would be a good spot for touring. Kitzbühel certainly is better from an off piste perspective but the Zillertal is far better. The Zillertal has decent touring options too. It is an easy drive from Westendorf to the Zillertal, assuming avoiding busy transfer days around 45 mins from Westendorf to the Zillertal Autobahn exit. If you are mainly interested in skiing the Zillertal stay in the upper reaches near Mayrhofen or Zell if you think you might want to travel further afield then Fugen or Kaltenbach would be better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Salzburger Superski season pass and a car and you're set! Probably base yourself further East after your Westendorf Week because most of the Superski areas are that way. As @Ousekjarr said, Pass Thurn is reasonably high and the snow is often better there than other areas; plus it is always completely deserted! Plenty of other areas to spend a day to a week at, including Ski Circus, Gasteins, Hochkonig, Wagrain etc. Fieberbrunn is a freeride mecca and you can spend a nice day pottering around in the cowsheds down the itineries over there... I know I did! Massive potential.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of good advice. Thanks everyone.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tom Doc, sorry, can’t help much as I’ve never skied in Zillertal, and have only done one day in Ski Welt where my subsequent need to visit the Kopf Klinik means my recollection is a little hazy Confused Best listen to the others Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
@Tom Doc, sorry, can’t help much as I’ve never skied in Zillertal, and have only done one day in Ski Welt where my subsequent need to visit the Kopf Klinik means my recollection is a little hazy Confused Best listen to the others Very Happy

You'll have to come visit then. Expand your horizons and all that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tom Doc, sure, it’s only 40min or so Very Happy
latest report
so the multi area season pass is the way to go but unfortunelty the two valleys you have chosen are on different passes and the only cross over would be zell am ziller so you miss out on Kaltenbach / Fugen / Hochfugen / Mayrhofen / Tux / Hintertux etc etc.

I did a long stay in mayrhofen last year i did 4 weeks in mayrhofen in Jan and then came back in March with my wife for a split trip with zillertal and saalbach, i just had to suck up the extra lift pass cost because we wanted to see and ski saalbach.

Have you considered somwhere like st Johann or Kirchberg?....you can ski to westerndorf from Kirchberg / Kitzbhuel using the Ki-west Gondola and there is also direct bus from St Johann to Fieberunn which then now links to Hinterglemm / Saalbach. St Johann is only a 5 min train ride from the Hannenkham Gondola and it has its own hill on the Kitzbhulerhorn which is super quiet and is great on powder days or for touring.

Also St Johann is a proper town (its the local "big town") so has main train station, hospital, lots of life.

Kircherg is a bit smaller but links well to both Ski-welt and Kitz areas

Plus if you are in that area in Jan 2022 you can go to the Kitz ski races!.........we have bee lucky enough to go twice and it is a MUST for ski fans
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy