Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why I joined a ski forum

Poster: A snowHead
Jonny996 wrote:
@davidof, I can only presume you don't have a second home in mountains.

why do you even come out with something like that?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, 2 homes in the mountains....you flash git wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
@davidof, I can only presume you don't have a second home in mountains.

why do you even come out with something like that?

Because I assumed you would have understood the reason in point 1 of my post.

We don't have the £100pm Sky package, the £150pm family gym membership, the £150pm for the latest mobile phones, the £300pm for a leased BMW. The £10k family holiday to Florida.
We are now kicking people for going skiing, (I think they shouldn't) along with people who have chosen at some point in their lives to buy into their dreams at cost of other thinggs
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@davidof, 2 homes in the mountains....you flash git wink

How do you know it's only 2 when he didn't even answer the question? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Perty, I just wanted to say 'Well done', in case I hadn't already. What a thread you started!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny996 wrote:

you seem to be rambling
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

you seem to be rambling

And we have another hero, who takes delight in trying to wind people up from behind his keyboard.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
achilles wrote:

I'm not concerned that some are wealthier than others. Moreover the ownership and use of Alpine property can be very relevant in giving credence to advice to others. But making posts to emphasise wealth does seem poor taste.

I agree. Good luck to people who've earned enough money to afford somewhere, where would the UK be without the strivers? However SOME of the self styled "snowheads owners club" (as they call themselves) do seem to have a thing about mentioning their property at every occasion. I'm sure they are just as insufferable in real life.

As for Weathercam's dash to the Alps, I can completely understand that he wants to insure his residency and as he was tested before departure I can't see the harm.

If there is a "snowheads owners club" then I haven't been invited but I definitely sympathise with the argument that I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would lower itself to having me as a member Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I am conscious that mentioning that we own a flat can seem obnoxious (even if it is modest place in a modest resort) but I honestly only do so to provide context to something else I am posting, i.e., to declare a bias when recommending Les Contamines or explaining why it might make sense for me to have a clutch of skis or own kids equipment but might not if I didn't have some storage locally.

In any case, I think living permanently in the Prealps is apt to provoke more envy than my situation amongst snowheads!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also don't get the assumption that you need wealth to have a small bolt hole , no one buys there house in UK cash so why should it be any different in the Alps & the French banks are very relaxed on interest only mortgages at some very low rates on a fixed term
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
Very different vibe here to that of SkiTalk, aka Pugski. SkiTslk seems to be a far more friendly and accepting forum, possibly because the moderators tend to jump pretty quickly on threads that look like they might get nasty. Possibly also because politics is banned.

It's a very particular form of friendly and is to my mind overmodded. If your political views or other opinions align with those of the mods the limit is much more flexible. Also its been a nonsense trying to direct topics away from Covid and interupting flow of discussion because EVERYTHING ski related is Covid related at least in present and near future tenses.

Yes on the over-mod part.

But that's not the reason for the difference at the moment. The biggest difference being skiing is going at full steam in north America. So there's plenty of skiing to talk about.

Just pretend we're still in "summer"...

Until there's plenty of Brits skiing on in the continent, this "ski forum" is going to be over-populated by non-skiing talks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Join to have a laugh and get good information from certain topics. Sense of humour lacking from at this time from some but don’t let it deter from researching what you need
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deleted

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 4-01-21 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
In any case, I think living permanently in the Prealps is apt to provoke more envy than my situation amongst snowheads!

What do you mean by "Prealps" ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep Sauvignon Blanc having its affect!!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
jedster wrote:

What do you mean by "Prealps" ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Prealps

The photo at the top of that page looks like it was taken from very near our old house in the Pre-Alps Sad Sad Sad

A region with work, quiet local ranges and access to the big stuff. Lovely.
snow conditions
deleted as being off topic
snow conditions
@JamesHJ,

Thanks
latest report
Quote:

oneglove wrote:
I’ve been reading the snow reports for over 20 years without logging in once. One day a few years back I joined the forum and was glad I did! Because there was and still is a lot of liberal, blinkered globalists who needed correction. Fundamentally I don’t think they’re very bad people, just nieve cowards who would rather see Britain fall than be called a racist. They have not for much life experience and had their lives sorted before mass immigration kicked in, or simply live in remote places that are not affected by mass immigration. Of course some are women who want to breast feed the worlds refugees life that cretin Merkel.

It's not what the Glove says...it's the way it is said:
Intelligible, coherent.

Why on earth do all the other posts by oneglove have to be such gobldygook and obviously nasty?

Oh, I thought his post was meant to be heavily ironic....oops! Shocked

(by the way "that cretin Merkel" has been successfully governing Europe's strongest economony for quite some time now)
ski holidays
@Perty, if you watched the PM's briefing this evening you would know why this forum has not been discussing actual skiing much. Apart from a handful who actually live in ski resorts, most of us cannot count on doing any skiing this year at all. If you look at discussions in January of most years, it would be dominated by those describing experiences, or requesting advice on a place they are about to visit.

So a lot of us have ended up discussing the reasons we can't go skiing - Covid, coupled with Brexit meaning that even if things relax here we are excluded as "third country" from European entry for the time being.
ski holidays
I will state I was not there: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55529870
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
I will state I was not there: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55529870

There's no travel ban on outside exercise in your own local authority area. Yes i'm jealous - but thats how it was when those folks were skiing.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
the £150pm for the latest mobile phones

Do people really do this?? Shocked
ski holidays
Maybe not £150 but there's a flag on this £109pm deal that says it's their 'Best-selling plan'.
ski holidays
@admin, are you going back to flogging mobile phones again Shocked Laughing
snow report
admin wrote:
Maybe not £150 but there's a flag on this £109pm deal that says it's their 'Best-selling plan'.

I was quoting for the family, not just me
ski holidays
I can't actually remember why I joined, it was so long ago.

I don't think I've read anything recently as wide of the mark as @Jonny996's rantings at @davidof followed by his continued hole digging Shocked

I can only attribute @davidof's initial grumpiness to his broken rib stopping him skinning up that mountain outside his front door wink
snow report
Quote:

I can't actually remember why I joined, it was so long ago

+1
ski holidays
My post seems to have upset some, I apologies if it has. I use this forum to seek advice and never try to undermine anyone.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, I think it's because, whatever concessions you may have made, and however you may have purchased it, having a second home is indisputably a privileged thing (although winter sports in general are also privileged). However your posts make it sound like anyone can have one if they just made some different choices, and downplaying it by calling it a shack or bolt hole really doesn't help make it sound any less privileged.

I love that snowheads has the information required for people that are able to pursue the dream of having a place abroad, and obviously people use it to asks questions...however there are definitely some people who seem to drag up ownership at every opportunity, even where it isn't particularly relevant to the thread, and surely you can see how that might be a little needling to some?
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, thank you, I will note for future posts.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
My post seems to have upset some, I apologies if it has. I use this forum to seek advice and never try to undermine anyone.
Respect Sir.
latest report
+1

Shouldn't worry too much, some go out of their way to upset everyone Laughing Worth checking who you're addressing though. Why would someone who's lived in the mountains in France for god knows how long need a 2nd home wink
ski holidays
On the initial topic, at the moment I do not think you will find many open forums that are aimed at a particular subject that is not affected by COVID or Brexit to become anything other than heavily polluted by the darn subjects. In life, how many conversations do you have that follow this route, a bloody lot I bet.

It'll pass, and this place will likely, in 12 months time, revert to solely talking about blades/helmets/200mm wide skis/the fall of SCGB and snow chains. And let's face it, we all love those threads!
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Jonny996, I think it's because, whatever concessions you may have made, and however you may have purchased it, having a second home is indisputably a privileged thing (although winter sports in general are also privileged). However your posts make it sound like anyone can have one if they just made some different choices, and downplaying it by calling it a shack or bolt hole really doesn't help make it sound any less privileged.

I love that snowheads has the information required for people that are able to pursue the dream of having a place abroad, and obviously people use it to asks questions...however there are definitely some people who seem to drag up ownership at every opportunity, even where it isn't particularly relevant to the thread, and surely you can see how that might be a little needling to some?

Sure it's privileged but the point re jealousy is a good one. Plenty of people in all walks of life repeatedly drop into conversations what sort of car they drive as a status thing. Personally I often think say "wow £60+k on a rapidly depreciating asset - that's a lot of skiing paid for" rather than a jealous "I wish I had that" but then the reality often is that with lease deals etc the car is just a cashflow expense. I'm not sure I like anyone making value judgements on whatever someone has chosen to do and their level of "entitlement".
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, oh there's no doubt that people are jealous, and some have a chip on their shoulder about it too.

But some phrases will just wind people up, the "oh this old thing" type humblebrag is usually a good one. And even more so at the minute when a lot of people are going through tough times.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Plenty of people in all walks of life repeatedly drop into conversations what sort of car they drive as a status thing.

Yes, and there are words for those people wink Laughing

VW Caddy, btw
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

VW Caddy, btw

Flash git. A tuk-tuk would do you know wink
snow conditions
Couple of Koenigseggs, a Senna, GTR, a Hoonigan Fiesta, more AMGs than I can count, a couple of Scooby STis for me *

*in Forza, I'm not spending real money to crash them through dry stone walls and over ill advised cliff jumps
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
VW Caddy, btw
Sorry is that a brag or a hummblebrag - I'm confused Puzzled
latest report
@Timberwolf, actually at the minute a push bike would be overkill for the amount of travelling I'm doing Laughing

@Dave of the Marmottes, if we're counting virtual cars then it may take me some time
snow report
@admin, column B I think, if it was a brag then I'd have said VW Transporter
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy