Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
A response from writing to my MP...

Quote:
Dear

Thank you for your kind email on the EU Pet Passport scheme.

I appreciate that having to seek an Animal Health Certificate is costly and inconvenient and not preferable to the Passport scheme before.

My colleagues in Government continue to press the EU Commission to include the UK in the Pet Travel Scheme. We meet all the requirements for this, with one of the most rigorous pet checking regimes in Europe. This would put an end to this bureaucracy and enable UK issued pet passports to be recognised when travelling to the EU.

I am grateful for sharing your views and I will pass them on.

Thank you once again for contacting me on this important issue.

Best wishes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin, I've written to mine this morning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can see many people arriving at Dover and the channel tunnel not knowing about the new changes. How many will just pick up the pet passports and go, like they always did before 31st Dec?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, Hopefully, when you book the pet on the website it tells you what's needed now...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, yes, it wasn't possible to book a crossing without receiving several emails about the pet process.

Great stuff with the contact to your MP, hope he/she does forward your views. Good to hear the govt is continuing to press for inclusion, what your MP says makes sense and seems hopeful.

I'll write to mine too although I suspect she's more concerned about human welfare than well-off people and their dog problems - a position I absolutely respect.

Edit: I'm in no way casting aspersions or assuming all travelers with dogs will be well off - that bit was entirely about me and how my address will appear to my MP - who is Emma Lewell-Buck, last seen giving the PM a hard time about free school meals.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 7-01-21 19:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, you would think so, but I've seen so many people having to reorganise vets visits and crying in the eurotunnel pet terminal in the past.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy wrote:
We have a problem and hope someone on here with dog transport experience can help. We were due to have a 15 week Schnauzer puppy, which we purchased from a reputable and recommended breeder from Czech Republic, delivered to us in London by the breeders trusted agent in January (with all correct vax and paperwork) . It seems now the agent can no longer make the trip due to Brexit and lockdown restrictions.....

After a few days calling various pet travel providers it is clear there is still a lot of uncertainty about Brexit rules and struggling to find someone to do end-to-end by air for less than €2000. Looks like the cheaper way is for us to appoint agents at either end and hope they can coordinate efforts and paperwork. The CZ agent gets the puppy to the plane in a crate and the U.K. agent meets dog at LHR and sorts out the formalities and now we have to pay VAT on the value of the puppy and also fees to Govt agency to transfer their nationality!. After all of this it should still be cheaper overall than having purchased the dog from a local U.K. breeder who are charging a premium due to increased demand.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With Covid lockdown will you be able to get to LHR or will the agent bring the dog to your house?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scamper, not yet clear but will collect as last resort if I have to. It’s in my local area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
@boredsurfin, you would think so, but I've seen so many people having to reorganise vets visits and crying in the eurotunnel pet terminal in the past.

It was chaos at the Calais animal centre in March - so much so that the Eurotunnel emergency vets were on site - I shudder to think what they were charging!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boredsurfin,I assume because of the lockdown ? When we came back in March (17th/18th), we'd done our usual vet visit before leaving, but I'd had the foresight to realise something like that might happen and arrange it in decent time. The tunnel was extremely quiet, despite us having to book a Flexiplus ticket as that was all that was available.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scamper, my MP is Mary Foy, who will also be giving the government a hard time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@boredsurfin,I assume because of the lockdown ? When we came back in March (17th/18th), we'd done our usual vet visit before leaving, but I'd had the foresight to realise something like that might happen and arrange it in decent time. The tunnel was extremely quiet, despite us having to book a Flexiplus ticket as that was all that was available.

This was the Monday when it seemed the border was going to close at noon. The whole animal reception area was surrounded by parked up camper vans and Horse boxes, apparently they had just left wherever they were 'camped' and headed straight to the tunnel. The emergency vets were doing their pet passports, but of course, they then had to stay 24 hours before boarding!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It used to be posssible to park/sleep overnight in the motorhome parking at Cite Europe but that became prohibited after 22.00 hours in early 2020 (Jan? Feb?) - up until then it was tolerated but I think the vans were attracting too many migrants.
Shame as it was a very convenient place to stay if you were catching an early crossing.

Anyway, word spread that you could overnight at the Pet Passport place but that is so much smaller an area it's bound to cause problems especially at times like you've described with the rush to the ports.

I did contact Eurotunnel last year to see if we would be allowed to check in and clear passport control/customs the night before and then stop outside the shopping building till our 5am train but "computer said no!"

In the end we went Newcastle/Amsterdam/Newcastle which is far more expensive but bloody luxury compared with the drive down to Kent from here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, that's probably why it was so quiet on Wednesday then. I was annoyed at having to buy the Flexiplus, it was an expensive packed lunch.
snow report
@Scamper, we wouldn't be comfortable leaving the dogs on the ferry overnight.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Pet friendly cabins Wink

DFDS take the mickey with the extra charges but we're the same - wouldn't leave them in the motorhome or in the dog kennels. The "exercise area" is a bit of a joke and the whippets aren't convinced its a permitted toilet area - eventually they went for a wee but refused to poo until the next day and back on land.
ski holidays
@Scamper, So it’s not just my Whippet then.......haven’t tried a ferry as it really doesn’t sound at all dog friendly.
latest report
@Matt1959, There are 2 ferries that do this route - one has much better dog facilities. It was a nightmare the first time we did it - the "wee station" was in a half in/half out deck area and I think they thought they were still indoors. We spent most of the night being woken up by them asking to go outside, getting dressed, taking them "outside", standing around making encouraging noises to no avail. We wrote to DFDS saying the provision for dogs was unacceptable. On the next trip, when there was proper, open to the elements, outside area at least they did eventually consent! rolling eyes
ski holidays

Good job it's a 4 berth cabin!
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:
@Hells Bells, Pet friendly cabins Wink

DFDS take the mickey with the extra charges but we're the same - wouldn't leave them in the motorhome or in the dog kennels. The "exercise area" is a bit of a joke and the whippets aren't convinced its a permitted toilet area - eventually they went for a wee but refused to poo until the next day and back on land.

Hmm, they told us we would only be allowed one dog in the cabin.
latest report
Alistair99 wrote:
... Reading deep into EU documents it appears that an AHC will be required regardless of having an EU pp. The fact is that Uk is no longer part of the EU and a dog can only return from a non-EU country with an AHC. ...

That would imply that EU residents bringing their pet to the UK on holiday need to find a UK OV to provide an AHC before they can return. Seems unlikely?
snow report
@Scamper, but you're only using 1 of them Laughing
snow report
@Yoda, Very Happy Very Happy Yeah, my husband had one all to himself, think we used 3 in total as I bed hopped a couple of times Very Happy
snow conditions
@Scamper, ah those limbs confused me - I thought there were two people plus the furry friends Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, We've made 3 crossings and we've always had two dogs. The "pet friendly" cabins are all 4-berth seaview so extra cost there, and the "dog in cabin" charge was £64 each way. Taking fuel costs into account it probably cost an extra £200 or so over the tunnel; for anyone making an overnight stay en route to skiing that cost is further mitigated if you do the journey in one go (although the ferry does dock quite late - probs 10am before we hit the open road on the other side), not so much for us as we stay on free or low cost aires/stellplaetze on the way down.
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
@Scamper, ah those limbs confused me - I thought there were two people plus the furry friends Toofy Grin

We've been married for nearly 32 years - elbow room gets the vote over 24/7 canoodling! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
For the avoidance of doubt....whilst I have also been married for 32 yrs and also own a whippet and also live in a location suitable for a Newcastle ferry it’s not me in the cabin with Scamper.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matt, I have room in my life for extra whippets but drawing the line at one man Very Happy
ski holidays
From a discussion on another forum...

" Well as I've posted before, our vet in Toronto doesn't charge anything. The only fee we pay is $20 Canadian to the government office that certifies the form. I've done this since 1999, probably 20 times or more. Here in Canada we use exactly the same form with the same EU regulations as you now have in the UK. I actually fill in the form using a pdf online editor - then all my vet has to do is check for correctness of the rabies batch numbers, dates, microchip etc. that I have entered and then sign it. Takes them 3 minutes tops. There is no blood test or physical checkup specifically required to submit the form. Titres is a totally separate issue, needed to bring a dog back into the EU from an unlisted country. The UK and Canada are both listed - titres is not required (different story if you go to Morocco, say, and back). The only issue is whether your vets over there are going to take advantage of the newness of the requirement and gouge you on pricing. The AHC is nothing more than a record in EU acceptable form of work the vet has already done, work you have already paid for. At most a nominal administrative fee is warranted, not the kind of numbers I'm reading here. Also I'd check if one form is sufficient for multiple entries within a 4 month period. I've never been in that situation , but I suspect you'll need a new AHC for each trip."

Any thoughts?
snow conditions
Sigh, I know nothing of Canadian forms. They may fulfil the same purpose but nothing in that excerpt chimes with the uk system. As described above the uk AHC needs to be filled in by an OV, not any vet and not the Owner at home. It needs to be made unique with a number only dispensed to OVs by APHA. It, and proof of vaccine needs to be copied and certified including fan stamping to prevent substitution of any of the 10 pages.
If UK vets are gouging why are they resigning their OV status in droves when they could be earning big bucks for just “3 minutes tops”.......
The only bit I do agree with is that AHC is NOT valid for 4 months multiple entries. It is valid for 10d for entry to the EU and then up to 4 months further travel WITHIN the EU.
ski holidays
@Scamper, this is the Canadian version. https://www.inspection.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-animals-animaux/WORKAREA/DAM-animals-animaux/text-texte/terr_anima_export_certif_pets_internat_bilingual_1396373316023_eng.pdf
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Scamper, this is the Canadian version. https://www.inspection.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-animals-animaux/WORKAREA/DAM-animals-animaux/text-texte/terr_anima_export_certif_pets_internat_bilingual_1396373316023_eng.pdf

Just a bit less complicated than the UK one ........ rolling eyes

Perhaps the Canadian Deal wouldn't have been so bad after all Shocked
snow report
@Scamper, I don' think it would have made any difference. I assume the form we need is a UK one so would still be just as complex.
ski holidays
Yep, I was just joking really.

Hopefully we'll end up with Part 1 status when the dust has settled..
latest report
Vets on here will correct me but the UK Animal Health Certificate is for ANY animal, in the past for non EU purposes, not specifically Dogs Cats and ferrets like the EU pet passport. Hence it being such a lengthy document.
ski holidays
You can download it as a PDF file - look down the pink section on the right of here.
http://apha.defra.gov.uk/External_OV_Instructions/Export_Instructions/Certification_Procedures/Small_Animal_Exports/Animal_Health_Certificates.html

I think this is it. I haven't come across references to anything else.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, good research! I’d hope we edge closer to that over time.
Note that it specifically declares the animal has been examined and is fit to travel, in total contradiction of the Canadian quoted above Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
I'm confused, we live in Ireland ( still EU) we have a UK pet passport for our dog, which next week our Irish vet is issuing us an Irish pet passport. We normally drive to ski resort going via UK on Ferry, visit family then ferry or Euro tunnel to France to ski. Then return same way. I assume as UK is accepting EU issued pet passport that is the only document we will need. Or will we have to have the other certificate as well.
snow conditions
gilo wrote:
@Hells Bells, good research! I’d hope we edge closer to that over time.
Note that it specifically declares the animal has been examined and is fit to travel, in total contradiction of the Canadian quoted above Puzzled Puzzled

That would be a much more convenient solution.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy