Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, complete shambles as you say, and hopefully it will be sorted. I'm guessing the dates in first boxes should be before the date of vaccination? but I'm only guessing as date of reading suggests to me that it was the date last week that the vet read the chip.
Let me know how you get on with the new EU passports for the others. If we're coming over, it will be the start of August bank holiday Shocked due to other commitments.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, purely out of interest as the UK vet completed the AHC incorrectly and it was invalid do you get a refund from them? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I am not sure however how changing to a passport will alleviate the hassle, you will still be queuing behind some poor sod whose vet has not completed the form properly. I have been in just that situation in Calais on many occasions. We've been queuing behind someone who hasn't sorted the tapeworm treatment out, or isn't travelling within the travel window. It just makes it worse that it will now be in both directions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells,
From my point of view the sole reason for going down the Italian passport route is to avoid the hassle and expense of an AHC every time I drive to Italy.
Also, I don't know what happens at Eurotunnel, but whenever I've been been checking in for P&O at Calais I have put my hazards on to discourage others from queuing up behind me. Sometimes they notice, sometimes they don't - I console myself that I tried!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nemisis, much different at Calais Eurotunnel as there special check-in for dogs/pets separate from the rest. You go there first and then through the usual check in afterwards.You are only queuing behind other pet owners.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I said previously that i think this will resolve itself and in the ongoing Northern Ireland Protocol talks it sounds like the "Norwegian" option might be a solution for GB to NI and UK to eu travel which would basically put it back to the way it was.

Fingers crossed that one of the negotiators on our side travels abroad with a dog Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BoardieK, I think Michael Gove does, and it was him who said things shouldn't change, and we would be a part 1 country. So that is why it came as a shock to find that even though we didn't leave without a deal, it had become significantly more complicated and expensive as we were only a Part 2 country.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gilo wrote:
@Weathercam, that’s a cracking price! Grab it while you can. I suspect they may not have done one yet....... Eh oh!

Glad you got through, I’ve heard of people be turned away for less. Please be gentle with your vet, the entire profession is under incredible strain and people are literally breaking. Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That’s supposed to be a crying emoji! Stupid hamsters rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gilo, the hamsters are far from stupid, but the forum software pre-dates emojis by a decade or more and so does not support them. The workaround at least allows your message to be posted, unlike previously Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@security_hamster, just a turn of phrase! As an animal lover I fully appreciate the admirable labours of the hard working rodents! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick update, went to vets on Monday to get the Jacks their French Passports.

Even though I had booked an appt with the vet for that purpose the first ten mins was with the receptionist explaining the situation and showing her UK passports and that we were now residents with CDS.

We then saw the Vet where I explained it all again, but twas a little easier as we had the puppy with us as well as the vet was the one who had done the French passport a few weeks back.

Took quite a while for all the paperwork etc but we now have the passports snowHead

The cost was not too bad at €85 for the two, plus we have to send a cheque for €20 to register the chips with the French system.

Now could you blag it without having a CDS (residency)??

I think if you have a second residence, and know your Vet well, you just might be able to swing it, but would be a big ask for the vet, so don't really think it would be possible?

And the joys of having a puppy again rolling eyes

The older Jack not at all impressed, whilst with the other one, it's interesting watching the dynamics develop as the Jack shows who is still pack-leader, and at times disciplines him if he's deemed to be doing bad stuff Laughing

Have to say it's a breeze training, took the fence down after day 2 and he's off the lead on all the walks and does 100m recalls, that said it's so much easier having a pack as he learns from them, might also be the calm before the storm when his gonads develop more, then he's off back to the vet!

And most importantly of all, he's house trained already!

But he does not like travelling in the van Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
En route to NI with a view to obtaining EU/NI passports for the dogs.

Just this morning visited vets in Creebridge (appt made Fri) for AHC.
We had emailed relevant docs prior to visit. Cost for both dogs Inc worming (and isn't that a ridiculous thing that dogs had to be wormed to prevent transmission of a tapeworm that doesn't exist in the UK!! - Vet was v apologetic.) was £97.

We have any appointment next Mon with a vet who said pet passports could be issued.
Fingers crossed!

Edit: the vet wasn't complimentary about the form - trying to complete are much as possible on the computer she observed several of the boxes weren't big enough to hold the required number of characters and she would have to fill those in manually.

Edit 2:: the vet was ultra careful, going back and forth a couple of times to check with the more experienced vet about what to put in the form when it was unclear - think the whole thing took about hour but I reckon someone familiar with the forms could complete them in 30 mins.
I have heard too, that Eurotunnel are waving through incorrectly completed forms if they have old UK passports to show history. They are scanning the forms and forwarding to Dephra (with a view to masking them more straightforward?)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 1-07-21 19:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been quoted £315 (!) for an AHC for one dog.......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Matt1959, Shocked
snow conditions
Matt1959 wrote:
Just choked on my cuppa.
here for that
latest report
Crossed over to NI this lunchtime.

Customs before boarding at Cairnryan was security - mirrors under the van, looking in the bathroom/toilet (of the motorhome).
Other than confirming we were 2 people and 2 dogs as per booking no questions were asked and no documents requested.

At Larne we drove straight off the ferry and were waved through the checkpoint without needing to stop..

I'm pleased we obtained the AHC but it never left the document file - it's only function was to alleviate the anxiety I'd have felt had we gone across without it!!!
snow report
@Scamper, our vet told me you didn't need AHC for NI until the 1st July.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Grey area - you do (our vet checked with DEFRA and everything I've read confirms that) but with the transition period (now extended to 1st Oct) there was no checking of documents - tbh, up until Fri we were going over with no docs but had cold feet at the last minute and then with the AHC being £97, did "letter of the law" - as it turned out we should have stuck with plan A!
ski holidays
@Scamper, ok, out vet said that until the end of the 6 month grace period there was no need for it (He's also from NI and has been over with his wife and dog). As it turned out we couldn't organise time to go and sort it. But he's doing th AHCs for a good price so not too much of a problem. I think the ferry crossing would have been dearer.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Rightly so, made more sense when we were going without the AHC Eh oh!
As we were standing waiting for the vet to complete the forms the vet student said he knows people who go across every couple of weeks without AHC ....

Fortunately, we're combining the trip with a visit to friends.
Last time we were in a different country was skiing in Austria March 2020!
snow report
Our pup has his AHC appointment on Monday for his first trip ever, I’m not sure of the cost. English friends who are second home owners got a pet passport for their new pup from a vet in Moutiers last week. I’ll ask them what the vet required and let you know. They may have had an easy ride as wife speaks fluent French, and the vet may have known them from when they had their old dog. However, we might as well try for a french passport for our pup if we can as we do have a french address too.
snow conditions
Matt1959 wrote:
.........Update: Some friends had been quoted £130 by the same Vet. They checked and the price has gone up to £315. Presumably it takes such a lot of effort that they think that's the price that they need to charge.
latest report
Question about getting an EU Pet Passport while in France.....

Would all subsequent entries in the passport need to be done by a Vet in the EU?

TIA!
snow conditions
@Matt1959, the only entries a UK vet can make that keeps the EU passport valid is the worming treatment.
ski holidays
@Scamper, Thanks!
latest report
I’ve just email our vet & as long as rabbies jag is up to date, the AHC is £90.00.
Come on Boris, save the summer
snow conditions
@Jonny996, I’ve got £125 in Musselburgh. Which vet is yours?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I enquired at our vets this morning as I was picking up pills it is £125, and please give as much notice as possible as there are only two vets that are able to do the forms. We have no plans to take her at the moment but thought worth asking.
ski holidays
Matt1959 wrote:
@Jonny996, I’ve got £125 in Musselburgh. Which vet is yours?

It’s Thistle vet at Corn Exchange in Edinburgh
snow report
@Jonny996, Ta!
ski holidays
Yesterday was a Dog/Vet day, dropped one off at 08:30 at the vets for her dental cleaning, then saw the same vet at 11:00 at friends who we got the puppy from as the vet was up at hers seeing her horses along with some of the other pups for their jabs and for us rabies as well.

And then some play with brothers and sisters.

Then it was back down at 17:00 to collect the one who had her teeth done, and change from €275 !!!
snow conditions
Helen will have seen seen this on facey but here's an update...

Update!
Our 2 dogs now have NI passports courtesy of Lurgan Vets.
Not quite as straightforward as I'd hoped (see below) but still happy with the outcome.
1. When we'd made the appt they'd said they could issue the passports but weren't sure they'd have rabies vaccine (something I though odd) so as one of our dogs was due a booster in Dec and we weren't planning to travel to EU before it was due, we boostered early before we left the UK.
However, rather than transferring details from the old passports these vets wanted to revaccinate both dogs - not the ideal solution but we went along with it.
So effectively, they've started from scratch but without the need for 21 day wait.
The good aspect to this is that both dogs are now have the same booster date in 3 years time.
2. The vet thought it advisable to have a NI address so that the passports didn't look so "odd" and to counter any queries from bolshie officials.
Luckily, we'd been visiting friends who use the same vets so we put their address in the passport and ours will go underneath.

We went along with what the vets wanted/advised - at the end of the day we have what we need - 2 dogs with EU passports. It's been slightly more complicated than we thought and not necessarily cheaper than waiting till our next EU trip, crossing with AHC and then getting French, German, Austrian.... wherever we were.. passport. But we've also had a week in a lovely country we've long wanted to visit, and caught up with friends.

The vets said they had been inundated with requests for passports (locals) and were running low - I'm guessing it'll be the same elsewhere so my advice would be to double check the vet you choose has them in stock.
Rightio, off to Winterfell now Eh oh!
snow report
Pup got his AHC today. Medivet..a whopping £162! (Vet said it was £150 until a couple of weeks ago). Profiteering? The vet said he's managed to get the time it takes down to about 45 mins.
No doubt now that we will go and get an EU passport for pooch if at all possible. He did mention something about the rabies jab being one you need to have done in France, but I forget all the issues as to why.
snow conditions
@Perty, if you get a pet passport from France then Uk vets won’t be able to make entries in it. So I suspect they meant you’ll need to ensure you get the rabies vaccines done in France before they expire or you’ll be stranded in the uk needing an AHC again….
ski holidays
@gilo, - yes that’s what our vet in the U.K. said. I don’t think that will be a problem.
snow report
Summary of our trip to NI..

Objective: to get the dogs EU passports and visit friends - both achieved.

Hoops jumped through - we were going to cross without AHC but got cold feet at the last minute and ended up taking the dogs to Creebridge Vets in Newton Stewart.
I have nothing but praise for these - we made an appointment on Friday for Monday, the forms were duly completed inc tapeworm treatment for £97 (2 dogs).

In reality - although legally required, no-one at either end, ferry or customs, asked for the AHC (and probably won't until 1st Oct). It was £97 for peace of mind - that "what if" scenario that I'm programmed to be anxious about... my bad....

The vet we chose to use in NI didn't want to just transfer the info from the UK passports
We went along with what they proposed which was revaccinating (boosters,) both dogs ahead of their need to be revaccinated. Not ideal but the dogs have been fine
The cost of the new passports and rabies vaccs was £128 for 2 dogs - again the vets in Lurgan were scrupulous in their attention to detail, making copies of all the info so that should we need to contact them they will have the details on record, plus they get 10/10 for being lovely people.

Was it cost effective or should we have waited until our next EU trip?

We have a motorhome, had itchy feet and a promise to visit our NI friends.,.. So yes, we did all that and, in addition, sorted out passports that would otherwise have taken time and effort out of our next ski trip.

Without it being a holiday, then no - the £300 ferry costs negated whatever extravagant AHC fees we'd have encountered had we done it as part of our next ski trip.
latest report
Asked my Vet yesterday. Quoted £130 told had to book early cos only a couple of the Vets are able to do it and told needed at least an hour appt as the paperwork is hard! Wondering whether getting a French passport the next time we are there might be a better option.
latest report
@Cheesie168, it will undoubtedly be the better option. Only downside I can see is needed to make sure the rabies vaccine doesn't need done while you are back in the UK.
ski holidays
Matt1959 wrote:

Decided to switch vets as others were offering £125 - £150. Eventually had a call from our old vet who said that as they had previously said it would be £130-ish they would do it for that just this once, but that the £315 would be the price from now on becausde of the effort involved. However.....they also recommended that we get a Fench pet passport when we are out and that they would support us with any info the french vet needed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy