Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Scamper wrote:
With Covid lockdown will you be able to get to LHR or will the agent bring the dog to your house?

We managed to get our puppy Smile she was transported with her pet passport at 15 weeks by a CZ lorry driver on his way to Birmingham. We agreed to meet at services on m25 at pre-arranged time and complied with lockdown rules as able to collect pets/animals on appointment.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good news snowHead What have you called her?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heidi (standard schanauzer)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ozboy, Happy days - hope all is going well - schnauzers are wilful little bugg**s!

@Hells Bells and others asking,

I'm following several conversations on motorhoming groups and many people are reporting that they have obtained EU passports for their dogs. One guy who "lives in Sheffield" is visiting a Portugese vet tomorrow, quoted cost Euro15 with info being transferred from UK to EU passport (i.e. no further tests or vaccs).

It's confirmed that UK vets can't give rabies boosters and stamp EU passport but with many more countries now using the 3 year cycle one it should be manageable.

As yet I've not heard of anyone being refused an EU passport (it is early days and that may change) either through a visit or a phone call to whichever vet they intend using.

For obvious reasons we won't be going across for some time yet but I think we'll try and get the whippets EU passports - I'll let you know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ozboy, aww, beautiful. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ozboy, Great looking dog! The vet in Abondance (Dr Jacob) is very good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, I'm in love , what a cheeky face Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Matt1959 can’t wait to meet him Smile. First dog for our family and huge injection of happiness during lockdown, especially for the kids. She is going to be quite big as already size of an adult mini at 15 weeks!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @ozboy
@guilo
@scamper
I have been looking at the possibility of a French issued passport for a while. Here is the EU directive. If anyone can see that a passport can only be issued to an EU resident, then I can't find it. There needs to be the "contact information" of the owner.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32013R0576

Likewise, here are the Defra instructions as of 08/20 for vets issuing passports. No mention of a UK vet having to confirm the owner is an EU (ie UK last year) resident.
http://apha.defra.gov.uk/external-operations-admin/library/documents/exports/ET159.pdf

We aren't planning on a trip with our dog until the summer so hopefully there will be some clarity by then from travellers going into the EU.
The other spanner in the works I can see is taking your dog biscuits with you if they are meat based. As far as I can see, it's importing a meat product so is it permitted ...........?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My new puppy came with a EU passport issues in CZ to get into the U.K. does this mean I use it for her future travels to France without a AHC?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-01-21 18:43; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Nell, surely many rescue dogs from the EU must enter the UK with a valid EU passport, and some of them will leave again on holiday as UK residents. I know our vet in France offered to reissue us with a new EU passport for one of our dogs as the pages were full. I declined as her rabies jab was almost due (it was a few years ago) and the French vaccine only had 1 years expiry at the time, so we wanted it done in the UK.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only today we were at our Irish vets as we live in Ireland, having the UK pet passport changed over to an Irish (EU) one. Vet said we have to carry both till next time rabies booster is due, which will then be added to Irish passport. She was happy that we could travel with both, to UK and EU with them and no other docs required
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, that “should”be fine. But remember to watch the expiry date on the rabies vacc. Would need to be redone by an EU vet (not UK) before it expires.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, Lets hope that is correct. So far the EU passport has not been used to enter the EU, only the UK. When you were offered the EU passport, the UK was part of the EU but now we are not and unless the EU changes our listed status to the one we actually applied for then our UK passports are only valid to enter the UK, not the EU. Some previous posts suggested you had to be resident in the EU to get an EU passport. I was trying to find out if that was correct or not.

We will need an AHC to enter France/EU next time at a cost of at least £100 for that (and any future) trip. My thinking, along with that of @scamper was that we then get an EU passport from the French vet that will be valid for the rest of our dog's life, provided we are up to date with his rabies vaccine.

@Timbobaggins, That's interesting, so you are saying that a UK vet administered rabies booster from 1.1.21 cannot be entered in a EU pet passport - is that information from your vet or is anyone else able to officially confirm that? We have another year before it's due but could get one on our next trip to France.
snow conditions
@Nell, yes, it's true about the booster, for an EU passport it has to be done by an EU vet.

This was confirmed by the guy from Sheffield I cited above - he had a telephone conversation with The Pet Travel Scheme (a UK Govt resource), and asked that specific question, but I've also read it elsewhere.

"Pet Travel Scheme helpline
pettravel@apha.gov.uk
Telephone: 0370 241 1710
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)"
latest report
Slightly off topic but this is also massively impacting the horse racing industry - taking Irish horses to Cheltenham etc.
ski holidays
@Scamper, thanks for that. I just looked to see if you could have a separate rabies proof to go with an EU passport but Annex III states it has to be part of the identification document, to save anyone else thinking that could be a route.
Yes, any movement of animals (alive or dead it seems) is now a big problem. Hopefully the racehorse industry is big enough to be able to sort that out for their members collectively, unlike the thousands of individual pet owners. We can only hope that given time the EU will certify our rabies protocols and accept UK issued passports as a reciprocal measure. Slightly ironic as a rabies free nation but the hoops have to be jumped through ....

Next topic then is importing (yours!) and your pet/animals food into the EU. If it has special food for medical reasons then there is a regulation for that, but what about Fido's dog biscuits?
latest report
@Nell, as she explained, she transfers the details from UK pp to Irish EU pp. But the UK one has the little bar sticker from the rabies vaccine phial in it, which cannot be transferred, so we have to carry both. Once his rabies booster is due in 2 years time, she will put that in the Irish passport and we will only then have to carry one, she said only EU vet can do the Pet passport rabies jabs.
snow report
@Timbobaggins, Interestingly, when issuing our Italian pet passport they copied the titre and last rabies vaccination details into the new one, applying their rubber stamp. We will rely on the new one but will carry the old one with us.
@Nell, Italy requires "legal residence"; my friend who has a chalet in the Haute Savoie (without residence) was able to have a French passport for one of hers (without realsing how useful that would be!)
ski holidays
@Timbobaggins, the EU vet just needs “proof” of the animals vaccinations so an old UK passport should suffice unless they’re feeling very bloody minded.
You don’t actually need the sticker from the bottle, vets just like them cos they look official but written longhand should be fine. @Nemisis, vets would obviously never suggest anything illegal but there’s no owner specificity to a passport. If your (resident) friend was to buy your dog, get it a passport and sell it back to you that would be entirely kosher!
snow report
@gilo, hi yes she has written the batch/serial number of the UK passport rabies jab in the new Irish one and stamped it ect. I think she means travel with both till next rabies booster more to be on the safe side.
snow conditions
@gilo,
My dog, I'm glad to say, is sorted, it's my friend with a chalet in France who sees difficulty. I'm going to suggest that she calls her French vet and explains the problem, asking if he can see a way round it. Unless he does something borderline (?) naughty such as issuing a French passport using details from the British one without seeing the dog on this occaison, she's going to be in for an AHC to get it to France. Once it's in France a French pasport is easy. Deep joy!
snow report
Another piece to add to the jigsaw. Not me - I'm just quoting.

"I emailed our usual vet that we use for the worming treatment en route to the tunnel (Bray Vets, Neufchâtel-en-Bray) and they rang me back to confirm the following:

Yes, we are able to obtain a French EU Pet Passport, at a cost of €15. They can prepare it during the same consultation when Sam has his worming treatment. (We normally pay €35 for the worming appointment and take our own compliant worming tablets.)

They are able to transfer Sam’s existing rabies booster information from his now defunct UK EU Pet Passport (although I do realise it’s still valid for our return to UK journey) so he doesn’t need another rabies booster at the moment. (She did not mention needing the antibody blood test results).

She said the rabies booster in France is 3 yearly.

We are able to use a UK address in the passport. The vet said that is not a problem.

Our French vet said that they have had many people contact them about this issue and she said in her opinion it will be possible for a while to do this but may eventually be changed in a year or so. (This is her opinion based on what she currently knows, but for now, it’s perfectly acceptable to obtain an EU Pet Passport in this way for a UK pet)."
ski holidays
@Scamper, we have used that very same vets. Brilliant, plus a good motorhome Aire just up the road
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
@Scamper, we have used that very same vets. Brilliant, plus a good motorhome Aire just up the road

Good to know, thanks.
Another popular one is Mailleraye en Seine - the vet there is very good, chatty and helpful, walking distance of pleasant bank-side Aire.
He spent ages giving us info on local restaurants, was v helpful - I'm sure he'd be an ally in issuing EU passports
snow report
I emailed the EU about a month ago on this and I've now had confirmation from them about pets with EU issued passports:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/travelling_en_3.pdf
It's page 17, para 5.1.2
Non-commercial movements into the EU or Northern Ireland of pets accompanying a pet owner resident in the EU or Northern Ireland and returning from Great Britain after a temporary movement to Great Britain
Pets moved into the EU or Northern Ireland, after a temporary movement from the EU or Northern Ireland to Great Britain, will have to be accompanied by a duly filled-in EU pet passport. This passport must attest a valid anti-rabies vaccination.
In addition, prior to entry into Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland or Malta, pet dogs will have to be treated against Echinococcus multilocularis and this treatment must be attested by the administering veterinarian in the pet passport.
In addition, pets entering the EU or Northern Ireland after the end of the transition period will have to be presented to a designated travellers’ point of entry in order to undergo the necessary compliance checks.

Curiously, para 5.1.1 refers to pets on UK passports entering the EU needing to have Echinococcus treatment, which I think is a new development.

I guess that the next step is to see how travellers report back their experiences!
snow report
@Nemisis, the worming treatment in your Second to last paragraph wouldn't make sense as it's to prevent a worm present in Europe entering the UK, not the other way round.
I've drank too much wine to fish out all the references
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scamper, it looks like it is the case, but for entry into Finland, Malta, Eire or NI.
snow conditions
I know - that's why I said "curiously". Read the paragraph in the cold light of day and tell me where I've gone wrong!
BUT, BUT, it confirms something that I had heard last year.
ski holidays
To save my befuddled brain can you post the 5.1.1, The comment above is 5.1.2 and I'm to tired to chase it down. X
latest report
Grovelling apologies - I got it wrong - there is no need for Echinococcus from the UK to mainland EU, but there is to the island of Ireland.
5.1.1. Non-commercial movements into the EU or Northern Ireland of pets accompanying a pet owner resident in Great Britain
The "EU pet passport" issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain will from the end of the transition period no longer be a valid document for travelling with pets from Great Britain to the EU or Northern Ireland.
Rather, an animal health certificate issued by an official veterinarian will be required for each entry of an accompanying pet and only remains valid for movement within the EU and Northern Ireland for a period of up to four months from the date of the documentary and identity checks. This certificate must attest a valid anti-rabies vaccination.
In addition, prior to entry into Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Malta from Great Britain, pet dogs will have to be treated against Echinococcus multilocularis and this treatment must be attested by the official or authorised veterinarian in the animal health certificate.
Pets entering the EU or Northern Ireland after the end of the transition period will have to be presented to a designated travellers’ point of entry in order to undergo the necessary compliance checks.
snow report
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but the AHC covers 4 months travel, is it anywhere within the EU, or only entry in to one country?

We're planning a campervan trip in September (if we can travel by then) with the dog and looking to go to the Dolomites, but we would potentially need to drive through, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland, depending on which route we went and where else we have stop overs, so this wouldn't be doable if the AHC can only be used in one country, but if its just one visit to the EU in general, we will be OK.
ski holidays
@swskier, one entry into the eu (likely France?) and then unlimited travel within the Eu for up to 4 months so you’d be fine.
ski holidays
@Nemisis, no worries, it's perfectly believable that amongst all the other Brex-poo-poo the govt would impose an exit ban on a species that doesn't actually exist in our country...C'est la Vie... Crying or Very sad
snow report
When I raised the subject with "EU Citizens' Rights/European Union Delegation to the United Kingdom" I forwarded a copy to our local MP and told him this week about the response. His comment:

Many thanks for letting me know that you have now received a response.

And I share your concern about the cost of the Animal Health Certificate and I have raised it with Ministers on behalf of a number of my constituents who have also written to me about it.

Best wishes
snow report
@Nemisis, thumbs up, thanks snowHead
snow conditions
My MP didn't reply to me. As a true socialist, I guess she has more important things on her plate though, as she did reply to another email I sent her about another matter.
ski holidays
@gilo, thanks, that was the answer I was hoping for
snow report
Our local vet in SW London quoted £154 for providing a AHC.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy