Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Half Term in France? Think it will happen? Should I start booking extras!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have got my first family ski trip to France coming up in March. I booked a self catering package through Crystal Holidays over a year ago (wanted a stress free first holiday!). What are the chances of this happening do you think?

Its not the holiday so much i am worried about its all the extras! We have 3 kids (2,6 & 7) and I need to book everything, ski lessons, kindergarten, ski gear hire, lift pass and even buy some ski clothing! The kids have had no lessons since March (when Xscape closed) so will probably need new ski gear! What is / would everyone else doing? I feel torn between booking it all or holding off then missing out / or being a mad rush to organise. Those with families will know i am sure that its a lot of organisation to get away!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would generally hold off if you can’t find cancellable bookings for those things.

Kit - get last minute, you might hit the sales by then either here or in resort.

Ski hire - looks like a few on line intermediaries are offering free cancellation but read t&cs caefully

But it doesn't make any difference if you book lift passes now on line or at the booth if you get there, so why buy those now?

Lessons - try checkyeti as they sometimes offer cancellable lessons when the school does not.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very unlikely to happen IMVHO. The impact of the vaccine won't reduce the infection rates for many months. Half term, is what, 5/6 weeks away. Will there be a half term at all?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ibexman2 wrote:
Very unlikely to happen IMVHO. The impact of the vaccine won't reduce the infection rates for many months. Half term, is what, 5/6 weeks away. Will there be a half term at all?

His first post says March so Easter holidays not Feb half term.

I still think it’s a long shot. If you can delay the trip now at no cost (or get your money back) I would. Otherwise it’s watch and wait for now, there’s an outside chance March will work but I think it’s a long shot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given that schools are quite likely to be closed, half-term becomes fairly irrelevant, doesn't it? And skiing even more irrelevant than it already is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Schools are (mostly) closed but the children still learn remotely, so half term still has meaning. It’s when the kids get a week off.

But there is no chance of a ski holiday in February. Easter is pretty unlikely too.

The UK vaccine priority is to vaccinate the elderly and frail first - which will reduce deaths but by April there will still be high levels of COVID circulation in the population.

And of course the UK, as a third country, will be still be banned from Schengen countries until the rate is down to Japan type levels.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where are you booked, and for which week?

Personal view is that it might be better to bite the bullet now and postpone it until next winter (I would expect Crystal to be amenable). A shame, but puts an end to the will we/won't we that will otherwise be ongoing. Admittedly I don't have any possibly disappointed family to worry about.

I'm not expecting to be heading out this winter at all. I usually do 3-4 weeks each year, mostly in Les Arcs, and after retiring last year was looking forward to more trips out of school holiday time (ex-teacher). That worked well last winter until things went belly-up. Nothing's predictable right now, and the new variant has yet to spread in Europe as it has here, but I won't be surprised if that happens. If hospitals in France look like being overwhelmed my view is that it would be irresponsible to risk adding to that with a trip even if resorts are open and it's allowed. I really don't get the lengths some people are trying to go to just to sidestep regulations. The mountains will still be there next year.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 30-12-20 19:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wait.

Hold until the absolute last minute (without penalty).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmytwoburgers wrote:
I feel torn between booking it all or holding off then missing out

Realistically, what are the extras that you think will "miss out" if you don't book now?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, we are due to go in half term in March / April. We are staying in the Les Chalets du Forum Apartments, Courchevel 1850. I have already looked for next year, and its 150% more for the same holiday with Crystal! Can't afford it and won't pay it either - too expensive. If i cancel and book something else I will lose my deposit (£500) - balance is due shortly as well on the whole holiday.

I guess I don't want to miss out on ski school places and kindergarten places. Its our first family ski holiday. Me and my wife haven't been for probably 8 years - so was looking for a stress free time and was going to book everything via Crystal. I might contact them actually and see what they say regarding it being refundable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think it's worth talking to Crystal again re cost for next year. Appreciate that like all holiday companies it's not an easy time for them, but you're a potential customer for the next 10/15/20 years that they could be losing, along with any recommendations that you might make to friends etc. I used them a few times when running school trips, but there are plenty of other companies that would welcome your custom, as well as the possibility of booking direct. They need you more than you need them!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easter holidays are the first 2 weeks in April. We have a week booked from the 3rd and if vax rollout does escalate we could see the second half or the season take place.

Completely agree the key is to be able to cancel or transfer.

On that note will cancel Feb HT in the next 2 weeks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely worth speaking to them and asking if they will transfer your deposit to something else - perhaps they have somewhere less pricey that may be suitable?
That said not all are being helpful even to repeat clients. We had a terrible time with our ski company (not the same
as yours) despite having a deposit down for our 7th consecutive half term with them. They were insistent they would operate this coming half term, quarantine back home was not their problem, and they wanted to impose a new and significant rebooking fee when all we wanted to do was shift the booking to 2022. I appreciate times are extremely hard for travel companies and we were keen to travel with them again post covid but it seems some businesses/individuals will always prioritise immediate cash flow rather than loyalty or the prospect of repeat business.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unfortunately, for a "stress free holiday" your best bet is to postpone till 2022. But there is a modest chance of a last minute Easter skiing holiday being feasible this coming year, but not enough of a chance for you to commit hard cash!
ski holidays
Stress free with 3 kids under 8?
snow report
You might want to edit the title, Easter Holiday is not half term, it's end of term.

I have a crossing booked for Easter, without any other definite plans. If it doesn't work out then I'll move it to next Xmas.

I do have one for Feb HT as well, but that one I can't event move because it's from the last season. So will just bite the bullet if (or rather when) HT can't happen
snow conditions
jimmytwoburgers wrote:
Thanks all, we are due to go in half term in March / April. We are staying in the Les Chalets du Forum Apartments, Courchevel 1850. I have already looked for next year, and its 150% more for the same holiday with Crystal! Can't afford it and won't pay it either - too expensive. If i cancel and book something else I will lose my deposit (£500) - balance is due shortly as well on the whole holiday.

I guess I don't want to miss out on ski school places and kindergarten places. Its our first family ski holiday. Me and my wife haven't been for probably 8 years - so was looking for a stress free time and was going to book everything via Crystal. I might contact them actually and see what they say regarding it being refundable.

Speak to (Whitestorm about ski hire and Oxygene for ski lessons. Both have excellent customer service and will give you a realistic view of your options and sensible cancellation policies
latest report
russ_e wrote:
Stress free with 3 kids under 8?

These things are all relative...
ski holidays
Less stressful than three late teens I reckon

We’ve booked for 27th March - time will tell
latest report
@Boris, Same here on both counts!
ski holidays
We’ve bumped three trips now and I’ve just requested a refund on our Easter flights. Given up completely on the idea of skiing until 2022. I think even if we could go in April the holiday would be so substandard compared to normal I’d sooner save my money. It sucks but it’s not the end of the world. Fingers crossed for next season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy