Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis too big?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Bought myself new skis for the first time in years as I try to get back into the sport. Consider myself an intermediate skier, 5’9.5 168, who will mostly be skiing East Coast. I ski mostly blues, a black here or there to spice it up and stay out of the woods. Went to the shop and picked out Volkl Kendo 88 and they put me in a 177 which I bought. Feel like I should have gone 170? Do I try and exchange them while I can? Or will I be okay in 177? Nervous I made a mistake as I try to get back into it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @Gettindizzzy, snowHead

It depends how you plan to ski those blue runs. If you like trying to see how much edge angle you can carve or how fast you can straight-line then 177 is good. For cruising about 170 would probable be easier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would swap them whilst you can
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gettindizzzy, what do you weigh? Skis don't know how tall you are ... Generally, I think, don't go longer than you need to ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, 168

@Gettindizzzy, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Go shorter.
And Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or you could rent some skis in 177 and 170 try them out and see which length you’d prefer?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gettindizzzy, +1 for go shorter. Also not sure why you've gone for the Kendo. You sound like you spend most if not all your time on Trails and the Kendo is an all-mountain ski. I'd go back and look at the Deacon or Flair skis which are more trail orientated. Hard packed East Coast needs good edge control so get a ski with a turn radius of between 11-13m and you'll be fine. The Flair range is within that bracket. If you are a strong carver and can ski within the radius then the Deacon may suit better at higher end piste skiing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 27-12-20 10:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KenX, feathers? cups?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’d suggest save your money, take some lessons instead and you’d get to know yourself what you want. Hire in the interim.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think 177 can be fine, I’m just a touch taller than you and similar weight, i have a couple of all mountain ones as 176 and 178cm. But do have big rocker tip and/or tails so effective edge is significantly smaller than its length. I couldn’t find specifics for the kendo 88 but I read “subtle” rocker so for this particular ski it could work better for relaxed skiing the smaller one
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 174 tall so a bit taller than you and I would find a 177 ski too long even with a fair bit of rocker. However I only weigh in at 72kg.

As others have suggested I think you would enjoy a shorter, stiffer more piste orientated ski more for the type of skiing you want to do. Oh and test them before you buy them
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If Male: For remaining On Piste: 166 - 172. For All Mountain use: 169 - 175

If Female: Piste: 161 - 167; All Mountain: 164 - 170

If only skiing On Piste - I'd go narrower, if that's an option ie. 72 - 80mm under foot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m same hight but a sturdy 220 lbs & I was pushed towards the 180’s as the experience 88’s had more rocker.
I had to google what that meant as it’s been a while since I bought ski & it made sense to me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shorter would be better. The extra length won't necessarily be a problem on groomers, and it could be just fine there. But given your stated ability, they'll be more difficult than necessary in bumps, trees etc.
snow conditions
Short people = short skis.

160-170 max.
latest report
Gettindizzzy wrote:
Hi. Bought myself new skis for the first time in years as I try to get back into the sport. Consider myself an intermediate skier, 5’9.5 168, who will mostly be skiing East Coast. I ski mostly blues, a black here or there to spice it up and stay out of the woods. Went to the shop and picked out Volkl Kendo 88 and they put me in a 177 which I bought. Feel like I should have gone 170? Do I try and exchange them while I can? Or will I be okay in 177? Nervous I made a mistake as I try to get back into it.

Jeepers, what we are talking about here is 7cm, of which maybe only 4cm is in front of you and, as others have said, there is probably rocker making the effective length much shorter still. Also, one manufacturer's 177 is another's 175 depending on how they measure it. Really I can't see the point in changing. Back in the day we called a 180 a 'compact' and it was considered laughably short - rocker hadn't been invented unless you bent them on a mogul. Now, with nice wide groomers, better servicing, boots that fit etc, there really is no excuse. It won't be the skis fault.
snow conditions
The OP says they are 5'9.5 which is 177cm so 177cm skis don't seem too long AFAIKS but it depends on the skier weight really.
snow report
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Exchanged them for 170 Mindbender 90TI which are supposedly more forgiving than the Kendos. Took them out yesterday and they were great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy