Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The short view and the long view

Poster: A snowHead
Brexit agreement under mild threat from some backbenchers, but looking promising. Vaccine looks promising. But then there’s the long view. Global warming: the doom-laden research which Chris Turney did over a decade ago - about feedback cycles which will accelerate global warming well in excess of the modelling being done then - is looking now quite conservative. The changes in Alaska and Siberia which always were predicted to release large amounts of greenhouse gases are happening - with the same amount released last year than the preceding 16 years. It’s those kinds of ratios which shout ‘runaway cycles’ at climatologists. Paris agreement aimed for ‘well below’ 2.0 degrees. China has just announced new targets for net zero, which will give 2.4. That sounds grim but is a lower prediction and target than previously. And it’s possible that they will push things down further. And despite the ‘drill baby drill’ ethos of the ‘energy dominance’ policy of the Trump administration - pardon me, pardon you - the markets in USA appear to be driving solar and wind energy extremely fast. I like the signs from the ‘big ass’ motor market - a long range electric F150 pickup coming soon - big investment from Ford in the Rivian company. Very soon I hope we can get a two-day electric drive to the Alps for skiing and a no-charge drive to and fro the South Downs for long-distance mountain-biking.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that what Trump looks like without his wig and fake tan? Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Climate change is clearly real, and those who have looked at evidence of previous natural climate cycles following things like fossil tree rings have been shocked that the current change seems much faster than anything nature has experienced in the past. Life will survive, evolution is very adaptable, but some individual species (probably including humans) will face serious struggles and in many cases extinction.

The hard bit is trying to alter its course. The mechanism isn't well understood, though there is an obvious strong correlation with human industrialisation and a highly plausible explanation involving rises in CO2. The consequences of changing human behaviour have to be deduced from computer models involving multiple assumptions and quite wide confidence limits. What I am saying is that the impact could be worse or better than the predictions, and that's before trying to account for the way the emerging information itself is a factor changing people's behaviour.

While every little helps, in the end the biggest impact will be from finding ways of minimising the biggest sources of greenhouse gases.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.thegwpf.com/content/uploads/2020/12/Cost-Decarbonising-Cars.pdf
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The long view is we are all dead. For the short view maybe Baba Vanga, the sage of Bulgaria has the answer.

Quote:

Baba Vanga had predicted that the year 2021 will be a year of cataclysms (a large-scale violent event in the natural world). "The world will suffer from a lot of cataclysms and great disasters. The consciousness of people will change. Difficult times will come. People will be divided by their faith. We are witnessing devastating events that will change the fate and destiny of humanity," she had claimed.

The Nostradamus of the Balkans had also said that 2021 will be when a cure for cancer is found. "At the beginning of the 21st century, humanity will get rid of cancer. The day will come when cancer will get tied with iron chains," Baba Vanga had claimed.

The Bulgarian mystic had prophesied that US President Trump will apparently suffer from a "mysterious disease". She had said that the 45th POTUS will become sick with a "mysterious disease that will leave him deaf, and cause brain trauma".

She is said to have also claimed that Europe's economy will fall, an assassination attempt will be carried out against Russian President Vladimir Putin by someone within his own country and Islamic extremists will stage an attack in Europe.

She had predicted doom for Trump and Putin in 2019 and 2020. Both of them have survived although Trump contracted coronavirus in October this year and an attempt to assassinate Putin was stopped in 2012.

Baba Vanga had also said, "[The extremists] will use an arsenal of chemical weapons against Europeans."

The psychic had also added, "The petrol production will stop, and the Earth will rest" and "trains will "fly" by using sunlight.

so that's something to look forward to then.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-12-20 21:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, What does the Flat Earth Society have to say ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who's Baba Vange when she's at home? Sounds like a real ray of sunshine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
She’s dead now
She predicted all that before she died in 1996
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of course, nothing is without cost, including so called 'free energy'. And EVs need batteries and those need rare earths, and that mining is destructive, uses finite resource and has negative political and social consequences. But my view is that fatalism and denial will not help us as a species or the planet as a system and as a place in which many other species live. We need to act, and support politicians who listen to the science, and get onto a better trajectory in terms of impact on the environment. I am flying less, consuming less, and taking environmentally-informed decisions when I can. Have we stopped all international air travel in our household - no. But have we reduced it massively - yes. And have we forgone other things to use green energy for our house - yes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
She had said that the 45th POTUS will become sick with a "mysterious disease that will leave him deaf, and cause brain trauma".
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I think that one is already true
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
@Mr.Egg, What does the Flat Earth Society have to say ?

going to electric will lose the UK Gov one of it's mainstream revenues in less Fuel Tax.
How do they replace that? Pay per mile? Tax Electric? (maybe VAT @ 20% instead of 5%?)

Think I will keep my diesel for a while yet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You realise the photo' is a Whitegold selfie?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Climate change may bring more snow to some areas.
It will, of course, be huge dumps of champagne powder, strategically placed by Mother Nature in windows of pandemic when ski resorts are all shut

https://www.fassa.com/EN/Webcam-Val-di-Fassa--Carezza-Paolina/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg, - you are assuming that there will be enough electricity to go around!

If climate change is such a problem, why are Great Thunder and her friends at XR not hassling Australia and India about the former selling huge amounts of coal to the latter?
snow report
LaForet wrote:
You realise the photo' is a Whitegold selfie?
No way. He's not sitting alone in some miserable closet having a w~nk in front of his computer screen. Can't be @Whitegold
ski holidays
@Nemisis,

maybe they should just electrify the roads.
One big scaletrex track
ski holidays
I did see a very serious proposal to electrify all the UK motorways and trunk roads with overhead cables similar to railway tracks. Lorries would then have a pantograph on them and sufficient battery power to enable them to move from their exit on the motorway to the distribution depot, overtake to avoid obstructions and avoid the farce involved in the electrification of the London - Pembroke line. My suggestion that an automatic steering and control system should also be included was dismissed.
snow report
Quote:

Climate change may bring more snow to some areas

Yep was talking to a Canadian climatologist about this in a gondola last season. Some of the areas traditionally "too cold to snow" may be better off - he suggested Banff as a good example of somewhere likely to get more snow as things warm up. There are already people looking to build resorts further north which should be for the short term future less affected by global warming (valemount is an example of one of these proposals).

I don't worry too much about it. Perhaps not a positive approach, but there is little I can do as a single person and I will be dead before the real affects kick in. I'm not going to be a hypocrite - I love to travel and am not going to stop taking flights (if I had the money I would definitely try Heli skiing).
snow conditions
...Although there is a lot that a lot of individuals can do if they do it at the same time, and the effects will certainly be felt by the next generation, which for many of us includes our offspring. Simply switching to well-designed timber buildings would achieve a lot without huge adjustment of lifestyle or cost, something which is a being discussed very actively right now.

There may indeed be some minor upsides for some people regarding snowsports - for example Scotland may change significantly if the Gulf Stream changes its pattern - we are on the same lattitude as Nova Scotia and that’s not known for its balmy winters. But there is a lot of unpredictability in the climate models because the behaviour of oceanic circulations and interactions between the atmospheric circulations in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres are difficult to anticipate. For sure those living in California, Ukraine and Australia have been affected by very atypical forms of forest fires, in which climate warming has been implicated.

The Common Goods of the planet - water, air, fertile ground are goods we share in common, and that’s something perhaps we should be a bit more conscious of. Central Park in NY was no accident, the planners knew that land in the public trust was important for quality of life in the city - it wasn’t something just taken for granted.
snow report
@boarder2020, this is true, and there are some strange outcomes: Mammoth Mtn, nearly in Southern California, would see more snow. They will receive more moisture, and for a while it will still be cold enough to fall as snow. Some folks forget it is about more than warming temperatures. Other elements such as precipitation patterns will change as they are all interconnected.
snow report
It always amazes me just how far south the USA is. If you look at a map the only part of the USA on the same Latitude as part of Great Britain is Alaska.
snow conditions
An interesting interview style article:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/27/climatologist-michael-e-mann-doomism-climate-crisis-interview
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy