Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Panda vs Range Rover

Poster: A snowHead
Forza Azzurri !

http://youtube.com/v/Dc0x4sQkxxM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good example of someone that can afford a fancy car but not the proper tyres. My Works Freelander had M+S tyres but I would always use my Honda Accord with ~~continental winter tyres instead on snowy days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does the Panda have chains, or Snow tyres and the RR doesnt

Either way, interesting video
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking closely, the Range Rover tyres seem to have too many radial treads to be winters or all-seasons. So probably summers, perhaps with M+S on the side to fool buyers into thinking they're 'snow' capable in some way. The Fiat doesn't have chains fitted as far as I can see. Just fairly standard winter vs summer comparison.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Much as I am not a fan of 4x4s it is totally clear that the RR has bald or summer tyres on. however, in this situation, I would expect a 4wd panda to outperform a RR if they both had identical tyres
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve got a fiat panda , love it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even on sumer tyres that RR had a chance of getting up there...if the person behind the wheel knew how to drive it. The amount of/speed of wheel spin suggests they are using the 'tarmac power' approach, so lots of torque that easilly breaks traction on the ice. They should be in a high gear and tickling the throttle to the point of just avoiding a stall.

But the main issue is "the wrong trousers".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just wait till the Range Rover tries going downhill Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Just wait till the Range Rover tries going downhill Happy

No worries, there's a nice soft Panda to land on Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to overtake many a RR in my trusty Corsa! A panda would have been even better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lightweight Panda and narrow tyres every day Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I feel robbed by this headline! I was hoping to see an actual panda beating the crap out of a Ranger Rover, and it's some dang vehicle called a Panda.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd pay good money to see a real panda take a crap on a RR. Preferably one of the superannuated minis like the Evoque ( would probably steer clear of a 1975 classic in turd beige)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love it. Not even a 4x4 Panda I think.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very interesting. First of all I thought Range Rovers were not meant to go off the road or into the snow. Are they not meant purely for driving around Chelsea? Secondly I learnt many years ago when I actually rode motorcyscle trials, light weight is the key. If you are serious abot driving off road you need something like this https://crossle.co.uk/80t.html/. You may find it tricky to carry your skis, but it will get you there (just remember to carry plenty of spare fuel)
ski holidays
Don't think I could cope with the social shame of being seen in a Fiat.
snow report
Quote:

Or even more a range rover
latest report
but more than content with the social shame of looking like a complete fool with every post Wink
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

You’re American aren’t you? Comment does not compute.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Well that's obvious that you don't want to appear snobby in a European marque and not the American sh..e that you & your neighbours drive
latest report
That is pure awesomeness.

Round here it's Subaru town. I love my Forester!
snow conditions
Be VERY VERY CAREFUL - all too easily this could turn into a winter tyre thread. And we don't want something like that to happen on Christmas Eve, do we?
latest report
my personal favourite form of snow-capable vehicular madness is the T3 synchro, seen here in the hands of maniacs

http://youtube.com/v/55wPrKZQNSc
snow report
valais2 wrote:
Be VERY VERY CAREFUL - all too easily this could turn into a winter tyre thread. And we don't want something like that to happen on Christmas Eve, do we?

Was either driver wearing a helmet...?
latest report
If it has the Pirelli Scorpion Zero 'all season' tyres that were supplied from the manufacturer as standard - then you can spin them on snow on the flat.
They are completely useless in Winter conditions. Stick some BF Goodrich ATAs on it - with the proper tyres and the onboard traction control then it will outperform the Panda. Not a fair comparison IMHO.

Edit - Pirelli Zeros not Michelins.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 29-12-20 11:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ah - but would a fair comparison be amusing?
latest report
@valais2, Russian raods appear to have deteriated a bit recently. But I liked the video
ski holidays
Couple of links to some videos from 5th Gear here......

http://youtube.com/v/FvjSp8wk3wA is a 2014 panda v Ranger Rover

then a 2016 panda outperforming v a Land Rover here......
http://youtube.com/v/cgn2AG3WY-8
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some 20-odd years ago I had to borrow a Defender '90 to get home from work. I was working in Burnley and it had started snowing heavily around lunchtime. By early evening the snow was causing chaos and both the M65 and a56 (my normal route home) had been closed. A colleague who had wisely gone home early rang and offered the use of his Landy which he stored in the compound at work. It was a "toy" which he used for off-road trials. Completely standard apart from some M & S tyres. BUT... it was specced with 3rd diff lock and axle cross-locks.

I had to drive over Burnley Summit and the moorland back roads to get home. In places the snow had drifted off the fields and completely filled in the road level with the tops of the stone walls. It was like a snowplough. Never missed a beat or ever felt like it was going to get stuck. I came across one guy who was trying to walk home home after abandoning his car. The snow was up to his waist and he was frozen. I was more surprised to find that his home was some 5-6 miles along the road. I think it took me about an hour and a half to get home ( normally 35 minutes) but I was very impressed with the capability of the little Defender.

I spent a lot of time in my early motor trade years modifying and mending Landys. I never really rated them. Uncomfortable, noisy, thirsty things. They weren't too bad if operated within their original brief which I think was to transport 4 blokes and 5 cwt of kit cross country.
latest report
Good story GVII. I've used a number of beefy 4x4 for serious tasks like yours, and had the pleasure and humour of having the use of a friend's diminutive Suzuki Jimny in the Alps....like the Panda, a stupidly capable car, which has done sterling service in the snow, and right up over various cols. A friend came over to the Valais to watch the Tour de France stage from Pontalier to Verbier. I said - we'll take the col from Saxon and drop over the top and down to the Verbier road. I knew there would be few people there, and we dropped into a great section with no spectators - so my kids got all the freebies thrown from the caravan - which they found VERY exciting. It was a shame he hadn't joined us - it was a prime spot. He was on his way from France, looked at the map and thought we were talking nonsense, saw that the road we were taking appeared to vanish to nothing, and noted all the roads up to Verbier were closed, so stayed in a cafe in Aigle to watch it all on a big screen. He was quite surprised to see us about 2km from Verbier, cheering on Contadour as he managed an heroic breakaway, the key moment of the Tour. How the hell did you get over that mountain? '...In the Jimny, on the unpaved steep bits....'. '..oh...'. Funny little car - no space, no power, goes up anything.
latest report
In the days when my wife had a company car we explored a few of the un tarred roads near Les Arcs to get close to where walks started etc. some led suprisingly long distances over passes etc. We were stopped at the top of one pass with my wifes plain and simple peugeot 405 having finised a walk. I still remeber the look of amazement on the group of 4x4 drivers as they joined us wondering just how an oredinary car had got there. In fact it's not the 4wheel drive that matters it is simply the ground clearance.

I'm not sure how it happened but both my wife and I have 4 wheel drive cars. There is no way they are going off road.
snow conditions
ropetow wrote:
If it has the Michelin Scorpion Zero 'all season' tyres that were supplied from the manufacturer as standard - then you can spin them on snow on the flat.
They are completely useless in Winter conditions. Stick some BF Goodrich ATAs on it - with the proper tyres and the onboard traction control then it will outperform the Panda. Not a fair comparison IMHO.

michelin cross climates highly recomended, however PIRELLI zero not so much!
latest report
ropetow wrote:
If it has the Michelin Scorpion Zero 'all season' tyres that were supplied from the manufacturer as standard - then you can spin them on snow on the flat.

Thing is, the Panda doesn’t need another set of tyres or traction control to drive on tarmac. snowHead
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII,

yeah, ground clearance, low range, diff lock, and skid plates make my truck able to get out of spots no AWD car could.
For driving through heavy snow, way better as demonstrated when I had to help a load of SUVs get out of a parking lot on the local ski hill!
But for driving on a ploughed but slippery road our Subaru is way better.
I think tires are the key with a bit of good AWD/4wd traction thrown in. MrsH abandoned a test drive (literally refused to go any further and made the dealer drive) when taking a M+S equipped RAV4 out on a snowy day - was extremely happy to get back in her x-ice clad impezza (She bought another Subaru in the end Smile )
snow conditions
When renting from Italian airports a few years back, it was often the case that cars with winter tyres were difficult to get/prohibitively expensive. The solution was always to rent a Panda + chains and pocket a substantial saving. Despite some snowy transfer journeys we haven't needed to fit them in dozens of visits to the Dolomites. Thankfully, winter/all season tyres are getting more freely available.
snow conditions
Look...this is turning into a covert winter tyre thread with everyone talking about tyres and then thinking they can get away with it by just throwing in a casual reference to Pandas...outrageous.
latest report
valais2 wrote:
Look...this is turning into a covert winter tyre thread with everyone talking about tyres and then thinking they can get away with it by just throwing in a casual reference to Pandas...outrageous.

Very Happy

I still think the Panda would win even if both had winter tyres.
My truck's winter tyres even have nuts(!), and it has 4wd and nearly 400bhp, but it is a big lumbering lump with bad weight distribution, so would also get whipped by an AWD (and probably a 2wd) panda on a slippery windy road.

Is that better? wink
snow report
stuarth wrote:
I still think the Panda would win even if both had winter tyres.

The Panda has really narrow wheels which increases the ground pressure to give better grip. The 4x4 version is the classic ski resort car in Europe
snow report

Here's my 4x4. Wouldn't win a race as its max speed is 44mph but likes to cruise at 38. Got chains for each corner.
Actually used to be a snowblower hence the Kent Clearview windscreen assembly with the spinning middle panel for when the windscreen wipers couldn't cope with a blizzard. Despite its age it actually has power steering.
It is my work vehicle but like nothing more than pootling down to Sainsburys in it for the weekly shop. Oh, and the airhorn on the roof does work Smile
snow conditions
,,,and if it works, I assume your wire-haired terrier doesn’t sit there calmly when it does. Unless it’s completely deaf.

Or uses ear protectors.

Nice details re history of truck. I do like these things being used rather than left in a farmer’s field to rot. We have an ancient Ford tractor on common land near us. It was blue when manufactured but is now exclusively rusted. But every 2 months it bursts into life, gets used by those working the land and then sits there looking unuseable for another few weeks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy