Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Narrow Boots for Tall Large Frame Skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Greetings,

I’m looking to purchase a new set of boots, having grown tired of rentals over years and not ever knowing what you will you will receive at the end of the day. Wish I had done this before.

I am 56, 6-3, and 245 lbs (of course always looking to decrease the latter). I consider myself to be a good intermediate skier who spends 7-14 days per year, looking to increase time as I approach retirement. I was fitted during my last trip to Breck for a narrow (97/9Cool 30.5, with my toe box a little oversized.

My combination is hard to find in store, even ordering from one, so I’m planning to purchase direct.

My question come to flex. Given my size/weight and current skill level, what would be a reasonable flex? I do mostly groomers but I wander off to the sides once in a while. Also, I’m looking at the Atomic Hawk Ultra line, but they are described as very lightweight and for medium build skiers, which I’m not. Would this mode be inappropriate for me?

Any advice/recommendations appreciated, including specific boots.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Usnavy1610, welcome to the mad house

as a boot fitter my first piece of advice is find a boot fitter and work with them, the size you are looking for is not a common as a 27.5 for example but still not as if you are looking for 31.5 or bigger

first thing to understand is the last measurement of the boot 98/100/102 etc is only in a size 26.5 so each time you go up a size from there the width increases by 2mm.... next is the length, when you say 30.5 with your toe box a little oversized do you mean they need to stretch the toe box on the 30.5 or that the toe box was a little big in that size.... if it was a little big then i would be looking at 29.5 as it opens up a whole load more models, if it is a 30.5 needing stretched then definitely see a good boot fitter, toe box length stretches are not a DIY option and if you don't buy the boot via the fitter they will charge a fair amount to have that done, equally the hawx ultra series has a fairly complex moulding sequence which again requires the correct tools to do it properly

in terms of the description of the boot that you have ignore what the manufacturer says about medium build skiers and levels of performance, with your height and weight you need at least a 120 or more likely a 130 flex boot, that's the bit they forget (body weight and level length as they are too busy focusing on whether you can ski a blue run or a black)

again i would say see a boot fitter, this is the most important ski kit purchase and you don't want to mess it up

given the way you have put your weight (in Lb) i am guessing you are in the usa, whats your location, i can probably give you a good boot fitter who is not too far from you so you can get this done right

good luck getting sorted
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is the hawx 30/30.5 actually a 31 last boot with a much thicker inner? The version I tried before they went to the prime/ultra/magna range was - happily I decided I was going to be ok squeezing into a 29.5, as that 30 felt very squishy - but might be an advantage if the OP needs a stretch there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Usnavy1610, go with @CEM suggestion get them fitted, I have narrow feet he sorted me out and some Lange boots, in my humble opinion shared by quite a few other on here is among the best boot fitters. boots are just so critical to ski enjoyment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pejoli wrote:
Is the hawx 30/30.5 actually a 31 last boot with a much thicker inner? The version I tried before they went to the prime/ultra/magna range was - happily I decided I was going to be ok squeezing into a 29.5, as that 30 felt very squishy - but might be an advantage if the OP needs a stretch there.

no the Ultra is a true 30/30.5 shell no doubling up
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy