Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How did we survive without goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interesting, I hope your change of practice prevents any future issues. What you were advised is entirely consistent with what we have been told, and consistent with forestry and land workers in this country being encouraged to wear clear but UV coated eye protection if they work for more a certain number of hours (I think eight) a week outdoors.

Yep...

UV protection = from coating on lens - including clear lens
VLT = visible light, usually after UVA and UVB has been filtered out
Contrast and depth perception = entirely subjective, but seems to depend on individual genetics and ocular history
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As above, treat the "energy" as separate from sight enhancement. UV protection should be specified regardless of lens colour etc.

VLT is more preferential given good light levels as your pupil will modulate the light in response to the level you present them.
It's more critical as absolute at the highest and lowest range you are working in.
Lowest light level will ordinarily lead you towards highest transmission just to give you the most information to process quickly.

Red colour blindness could be one reason why some users don't see such advantage in lenses of that hue, giving obviously differing opinions as to the effectiveness.

Chromapop, prizm etc, as far as I'm aware are being used to market lens type that look most like dichroic filters. This, rather than dyed material (conventional?) seeks to split the light chromatic elements more concisely, for example blue reflected and yellow passing through, normally consisting of a "coating" as opposed to dyed substrate. It's pretty effective in doing it's job while also being so thin that it provides minimal disruption to the light's geometry. Usually this will preserve a higher focus, accutance, etc of the image in front of you by not unduly dispersing the light into scatter.
Put the colour purity and image geometry purity together and you can see the image results clearly with raised levels of physical detail and concise colour cut that you choose to best accomodate you own optical characteristics.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Visor helmet, pair of sunnies to hand if needed. No tunnel vision issues what so ever.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Due to reflection from the inner & outer faces of the lens, the light transmission of a perfectly clear lens with no additives is 92%, the addition of enough additive (that costs no more than the polymer of the lens itself) to block 100% of the UV will drop the light transmission to about 90%. The UV protection is from additives within the polymer of the lens itself, not a coating.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ski3, is that what they're doing? Interesting, thank you. I knew it was a frequency selective filtering, but little more than that!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, if you hold and tilt them in bright light they'll usually "flash" their complimentary colour as you move them, so green for magenta transmission lens for example. They may have a different outermost layer to improve acuity, similar to camera lens, this can also give you a colour flash as well.

Also why you have to take care not to scratch them as it can often go straight through the coating.

There's some impressive performers out there, and certainly worth those interested trying different specification to find one they're comfortable with.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski3 wrote:
your pupil will modulate the light in response to the level you present them.
Does a smaller pupil aperture therefore increase depth-of-field perception, as in a camera lens? i.e. would a lighter/clearer lens with greater VLT "stop-down" the pupil, and lead to an increased range of focus?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shep wrote:
ski3 wrote:
your pupil will modulate the light in response to the level you present them.
Does a smaller pupil aperture therefore increase depth-of-field perception, as in a camera lens? i.e. would a lighter/clearer lens with greater VLT "stop-down" the pupil, and lead to an increased range of focus?

Interesting point, my vision is not as good as it used to be but it is noticeably better in bright sunlight & I always like it well lit when I am working.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy