Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The end of the bacon sandwich on the drive to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Alastair Pink wrote:
@dunc999, just wait till the EU customs get trained sniffer dogs to sniff out cheddar, stilton or Melton Mowbray pork pies! Wink

Unlike explosives and drugs, I suspect the pork pie training course will be less demanding for the pooches.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink wrote:
DJL wrote:
dunc999 wrote:
I always take a fair bit of cheddar (as I get it free/cheap from work) with me for our SC trips for cooking purposes, and big bags of cheap pasta etc. I do wonder if I had a few blocks wrapped in my Ski Jacket in my bag deep in the boot with everyone else's bags packed round it whether it would avoid detection!!

I would recommend trimming it into blocks that will fit inside your boots. That way the cheesy smell will not raise suspicions. HTH

And the cheese may even increase in aroma.... Madeye-Smiley

I might suggest this to our cheese grading gurus at work as a new maturation strategy!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink wrote:
@dunc999, just wait till the EU customs get trained sniffer dogs to sniff out cheddar, stilton or Melton Mowbray pork pies! Wink

I have two they could employ. Perhaps they can take their own dog food with them then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, when I've been to Singapore, I end up taking most of my luggage allowance in dog treats, as our friend who lives there has dogs and dog treats are phenomenally expensive there. And I can guarantee that whenever I get my luggage, it's always covered in dirty paw marks and been opened.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Richard_Sideways, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Just remembered that the UK also has internal restriction on the movement of some goods GB -> NI as a result of us leaving the EU, but that these rules do not apply NI -> EU.

Dumb as a bag of spanners.

Because there is no way that the EU would ever agree to meeting all three requirements:
# Freedom for the UK to set their own standards
# Complete freedom of movement between NI and GB
# Complete freedom of movement between NI and ROI

If Westminster want freedom from EU rules (the key message of the brexiteers) when producing goods, then those EU rules will have to be applied when the goods enter the EU. That applies whether it's a lorry full of goods or a bacon sandwich.

Clearly the history and geography of Northern Ireland ruled out setting up a proper international border between NI and ROI, so checks between GB and NI were the only possible way of giving the Brexiteers what they asked for. I expect the volume of trade between GB and NI will decrease over the coming years, especially if Westminster decides they want to diverge from EU standards (as they have already started to by allowing bee-killing pesticides).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thelem, yes, that’s right, so BoJo did what he said he would never do, and put a border in the Irish Sea.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
@thelem, yes, that’s right, so BoJo did what he said he would never do, and put a border in the Irish Sea.

Not quite. You don’t have to show your passport when travelling between GB & NI and there is free movement of labour between the two. The UK parliament still has jurisdiction (esp when NI politicians stop working together) and defence and foreign policy is UK based and NI still uses the GBP. So its not a border.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ster, you can dress it how you want, but you know as well as we do that the current situation is not what the government meant when they said that there would not be a border in the Irish Sea.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
... you can dress it how you want, but you know as well as we do that the current situation is not what the government meant when they said that there would not be a border in the Irish Sea.
They set out to break up the EU and ended up instead breaking up the UK. #ProjectFear
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I am not dressing it in anyway, I am stating a fact. It may or may not be what the government meant, but it is not a border.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As regards the confiscation of ham sandwiches on arrival of UK vehicles at the EU border we need a bit of lateral thinking; here's how to kill two birds with one stone.... Toofy Grin

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
... you can dress it how you want, but you know as well as we do that the current situation is not what the government meant when they said that there would not be a border in the Irish Sea.
They set out to break up the EU and ended up instead breaking up the UK. #ProjectFear

its breaking up anyway - The 'no' voters are predominantly elderly and are dying off and the younger voters 30% more 'yes' voters. I'm more than happy to rejoin the EU in an independent Scotland and change my pounds for euros.
Just hope they keep our seat in Brussels warm for us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ropetow, i hope you get a vote regardless of brexit as really you should be able to especially if you get a majority in the elections etc, if nothing else just to take sturgeon off the telly...... crikey now there's a lady who fell from the very top of the tree Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For those that drive to the Alps it looks like the end of frozen, ready-made Bolognese in a coolbox, for consumption on arrival night. Sad

We've not tried it, though I always thought it was a good idea.
ski holidays
I have no idea what everyone is moaning about?

Travel times to the Alps have been slashed by virtue of the European Cross Border Directive now not applying to UK drivers in Europe, which in turn means no points on your licence should you be caught speeding on the Continent.
ski holidays
We take a deep frozen Indian takeaway for 18 every year to have in our apartment, does anyone know anywhere in VT that does a decent chicken tikka balti bhuna....
latest report
@jonathancarty, just make your own ...
snow conditions
@jonathancarty, take jars of sauce and buy rotisserie chicken
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
For those that drive to the Alps it looks like the end of frozen, ready-made Bolognese in a coolbox, for consumption on arrival night. Sad

We've not tried it, though I always thought it was a good idea.
This is how we always travelled + frozen cheddar (I know but the kids love cheddar)...add n the poochie runny tummy woes and it will be a longgggg journey.
snow report
[quote="Cheesie168"]
Bergmeister wrote:
This is how we always travelled + frozen cheddar (I know but the kids love cheddar).

Their love inherited from your username? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
Cheesie168 wrote:

This is how we always travelled + frozen cheddar (I know but the kids love cheddar).

Their love inherited from your username? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Travel times to the Alps have been slashed by virtue of the European Cross Border Directive now not applying to UK drivers in Europe, which in turn means no points on your licence should you be caught speeding on the Continent.

Thank you for this post. I've been racking my brain for ages trying to find a single benefit in leaving the EU and now you have provided it. However, sadly, though you were fined and the fine chased you back to the UK for speeding you didn't actually get points on your licence.
latest report
Depends on country. No points on UK licence, but some countries do points on a central system which records which licence number points are assigned to. So yes you can get points in say Germany, and get enough and you're banned from driving there, but free to drive anywhere else. And a licence number is a licence number. Doesn't need to be a domestic one to record it on a computer.

As for food... they do have food and supermarkets in mainland EU. I find it kind of funny, all the Brits going to a foreign place to experience what they have there but not back home, but then take everything British. May as well just be done with it and open a chippy in Chamonix and Berni Inn in Morzine Wink
snow report
@sasha320, @johnE, So the sole benefit of Brexit to date is that law-breakers will not be punished!
ski holidays
To me the benefit of taking food when driving is the convenience. For EOSB I can pre shop in the UK, freeze a heap of meat for travel which then keeps 24 hours for the drive out without the need for a stop in a valley supermarche. Plus of course pork pies and sarnies for the journey..and the irreplaceable bacon supply even if it's Danish. It's not the biggest disaster but just another niggling example of how things are a little bit shitter under Brexit.
ski holidays
Quote:

@jonathancarty, take jars of sauce and buy rotisserie chicken

But it's not the same Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
@andy, given the cost of dining out in Val T a chilled coffin full of frozen delights prepared by our glamorous chefs and driven down was an essential part of the EoSB experience Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
"You cannot bring POAO (products of an animal origin) such as those containing meat or dairy into the EU."

@Yoda time to get some practice in as part of Vegan-uary then - maybe a tasty aubergine, courgette and yeast-flake lasagne?
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, imagine the French border guards checking a coffin full of frozen packages - but there are no animal products in here Officer - what? ce n'est pas possible! Laughing
ski holidays
@Yoda, Trying to explain vegan cheese to a customs official will be up there with trying to get a charged avi-pack canister through and airport.
snow report
I can't imagine French border control checking your average family car for cheese sarnies or a block of frozen bolognese, though maybe I'll be proved wrong. I think it will be honoured more in the breach than the observance. (Make your bolognese with Irish beef and then really confuse 'em!).
ski holidays
Quote:

For those that drive to the Alps it looks like the end of frozen, ready-made Bolognese in a coolbox, for consumption on arrival night.

I can't see why anyone would bother to prepare and take a frozen bolognaise. Bag of 3 minute Panzani pasta and a jar of Panzani bolognaise quicker and more convenient than defrosting.

Personally I don't worry about not being able to take food into France but I will be really upset if UK bans bringing food back from there. We always stock up with French bacon, jars of bolognaise sauce and cheese.
snow conditions
@Timc,
Quote:

"French bacon"

For why, pray tell?
ski holidays
Guess my days of “smuggling” vodka and kielbasa are over NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

ski holidays
@Perty, It'll go along the lines of "Bonjour, do you have any of the following items in your car, guns, bombs, illegal migrants, drugs, cheese, meat etc, etc" and it'll be up to you to tell them. *if* they then choose to search the car and find said contraband, remember to take your extra long cheque book.

In fairness, it's exactly the same going to other countries, and indeed coming into the UK. I *technically* shouldn't have brought back the several kilos of Bak kwa from Singapore, but i'm willing to do the time for good Bak Kwa...
latest report
extremerob wrote:
Guess my days of “smuggling” vodka and kielbasa are over NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

ANyone else really relieved that the img link is broken on that post... just in case.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, working for me Puzzled
ski holidays
@Yoda, I'm on the work laptop going via the work link - must be peril sensitive filter.
snow report
@under a new name,
Quote:

@Timc,
Quote:
"French bacon"
For why, pray tell?

Because it tastes so good. The "Poitrine fumée CARREFOUR le paquet de 4 tranches - 300g" is absolutely beautiful and has zero water content. To get anything like it in the UK I have to put in a special order to my local butcher and then wait until he does a cure.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy