Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The end of the bacon sandwich on the drive to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Perty wrote:
Make your bolognese with Irish beef and then really confuse 'em!

It won't confuse them, you still won't be allowed to re-import it to the EU.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy wrote:
May as well just be done with it and open a chippy in Chamonix and Berni Inn in Morzine Wink

Well I gather there are quite a few eating places on the Spanish Costas adopting that business model and offering traditional British cooking....... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

and offering traditional British cooking.

Cafe culture at it's finest Laughing

andy wrote: open a Berni Inn.... you're showing your age.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@sasha320, @johnE, So the sole benefit of Brexit to date is that law-breakers will not be punished!

I think that was the reason Boris was so keen to keep Britain out of the European Arrest Warrent scheme.

I will be sad not to take a litre of milk with me. We drive overnight and get to the apartment about 6 in the morning desperate for a cup of tea. Getting milk in the middle of the night in France can be a bit of a challenge. And I will not even consider soya milk.

Which raises another point. Will we be able to have milk in our flask of coffee for the journey.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, If you think of it like you were entering Australia , would they allow you to have a bag of seeds in your bag for when you transit through? Similar concept I assume.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Well I gather there are quite a few eating places on the Spanish Costas adopting that business model and offering traditional British cooking.......

Not just Spain, but I have seen advertisements for "tradditional english breakfasts" in Jeslo di Lido as well and a curry house in Andora.

I once thought it would be a good idea to open a curry house in one of the "English towns" in the Alps such as Meribel or Val d'Isere. Now I realise that since the French lost their colony in Bengal over 300 years ago getting cooks might prove a tad difficult.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@johnE, If you think of it like you were entering Australia , would they allow you to have a bag of seeds in your bag for when you transit through? Similar concept I assume.

The concept may be similar but by the time I've driven to Austrialia I suspect the milk will have gone off.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE,
Quote:

I once thought it would be a good idea to open a curry house in one of the "English towns" in the Alps such as Meribel or Val d'Isere. Now I realise that since the French lost their colony in Bengal over 300 years ago getting cooks might prove a tad difficult.

A few years back when we were at the UCPA in Argentierre there was "Curry" for dinner one night. The cooks had obviously never had a proper curry, as it was exactly like 1970s school dinner curry - complete with sultanas. That said in parts of Spain popular with Brits there are very good curry houses and Chinese restaurants, as well as British cooking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My son was snowboarding in Andorra when he was younger. He still says that the best thing about the place was a Kebab shop on the piste! Perfect hangover snack.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:

It may surprise you, but for the last few years Wengen has had a curry house! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

@sasha320, @johnE, So the sole benefit of Brexit to date is that law-breakers will not be punished!

I think that was the reason Boris was so keen to keep Britain out of the European Arrest Warrent scheme.

I will be sad not to take a litre of milk with me. We drive overnight and get to the apartment about 6 in the morning desperate for a cup of tea. Getting milk in the middle of the night in France can be a bit of a challenge. And I will not even consider soya milk.

Which raises another point. Will we be able to have milk in our flask of coffee for the journey.

But you can buy milk when you stop at a service station for petrol or the loo?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

you can buy milk when you stop at a service station for petrol or the loo?

But that will be nasty foreign milk.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I confess we once smuggled a frozen curry from our excellent local restaurant into the USA, when Mr P jnr was working a season in Squaw Valley and desperate for a decent Indian meal. It was in the ski bag. Our timing couldn’t have been better, as we were in the arrivals queue st San Francisco at the same time as a flight from Delhi.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Only ever seen UHT at a service station in France.

My usual overnight stop going out is next to a supermarket so I suppose I can shop there then go back to the hotel for breakfast, will probably mean hitting the road half an hour later.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Horrid UHT stuff at the petrol station, although most supermarchés will have fresh stuff too. Blue lid, but not the Marguerite brand which is indeed vile. The Own brand ones are fine.
ski holidays
UHT is also a problem in Belguim : Supermarkets have a vast expanse of UHT/long life milk and a tiny amount of 'Fresh'.... Sad
latest report
Another problem is finding a service station that has more than the window open to take the payment for fuel. After a lot of discussion I had one attendent push a 50cl carton of pasturised milk through the payment slot.
ski holidays
@johnE,
Quote:

unfortunately, I have a feeling that someone has beat you to it, I am pretty sure that on the old Merinet website there was an Indian restaurant in Meribel.

I had the same idea when I finished my seasons in Meribel over 20 years ago, i am pretty sure there used to be one in moutiers at the time, but we never ventured out of Meribel to get one.
I even had a name for it "3valley vindaloo", my business plan was to combine this with a flexible hostel type accommodation, as the cheap airlines were just starting to boom, and accommodation options have never really taken this into account, certainly not in the 3valleys.

unfortunately, my business plan did not factor in that I had no money to finance the venture, could have done with appearing on dragons den Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy am pretty sure peter jones is a skier!!
latest report
Quote:

am pretty sure peter jones is a skier!!

pretty sure he doesn't stay in hostel type accommodation....
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
For those that drive to the Alps it looks like the end of frozen, ready-made Bolognese in a coolbox, for consumption on arrival night. Sad

Go vegan (for that meal). No meat, no dairy, no issues.
snow conditions
@pam w, no, but he may have seen the value in the proposition, anyway I doubt I would be able to get a bed to fit him, the bloke is a giant Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
andy wrote:
As for food... they do have food and supermarkets in mainland EU. I find it kind of funny, all the Brits going to a foreign place to experience what they have there but not back home, but then take everything British. May as well just be done with it and open a chippy in Chamonix and Berni Inn in Morzine Wink

Morzine actually has a really good chippy, Mamma's, that's better than most of the ones where I live in the UK. Changed hands last year but didn't seem to effect the quality any.

Now I'm sure some people will be itching to type "But your in France, the home of great food! How can you eat fish and chips!" - but these are people who have clearly never:
a) Eaten the slops that come out the kitchen at the self service 'restaurant' at the top of the Pleney. Eat there and then tell me how good the food is in France (over you're half-eaten plate and between stomach cramps and rushed trips to the toilets).
b) Hit the French mountain food hard at the start of the week (from one of the many very good village and mountain restaurants), to the point you're now sweating cheese fat and need a break!
latest report
Mjit wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
For those that drive to the Alps it looks like the end of frozen, ready-made Bolognese in a coolbox, for consumption on arrival night. Sad

How do you prove to customs that a frozen lump of stuff is vegan ?
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
johnE wrote:

It may surprise you, but for the last few years Wengen has had a curry house! Madeye-Smiley

Le Nawab in Crans Montana is also a decent curry house...complete with authentic Indian music!!!
ski holidays
@Goliard, ah, but does it have flock wallpaper?
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
@Goliard, ah, but does it have flock wallpaper?

Of course...totally authentic!
snow conditions
Quote:

ah, but does it have flock wallpaper?

And pictures of Tigers?
latest report
Mjit wrote:

b) Hit the French mountain food hard at the start of the week (from one of the many very good village and mountain restaurants), to the point you're now sweating cheese fat and need a break!

Yep.....the annual cheese and chaucuterie overdose. I remember one year we went with TO. Having not skied for a few years my wife and I asked the TO on their night of where was the best raclette restaurant and were duly pointed in that direction. We learnt a valuable lesson about not ordering a baked camembert starter followed by a raclette main.......amazing food, but there is such a thing as too much cheese!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All we usually take with us is stuff to eat on the journey on day 1, and food for the hounds. On a few EOSB trips I've taken other stuff that is less likely to be available in France. Stuff for my Rendang night usually. We take more when we go in the campervan, as we stock the fridge for a couple of days, but it is not a huge problem. I'm not planning a trip to Burger King at Eurotunnel just because I can't have my pork pies and chicken leg lunch on the train though. A French resto or supermarket will benefit instead. I'm more concerned about food for the hounds, but it won't be unsurmountable I suppose.
latest report
terrygasson wrote:
@johnE,
Quote:

unfortunately, I have a feeling that someone has beat you to it, I am pretty sure that on the old Merinet website there was an Indian restaurant in Meribel.

I had the same idea when I finished my seasons in Meribel over 20 years ago, i am pretty sure there used to be one in moutiers at the time, but we never ventured out of Meribel to get one.
I even had a name for it "3valley vindaloo", my business plan was to combine this with a flexible hostel type accommodation, as the cheap airlines were just starting to boom, and accommodation options have never really taken this into account, certainly not in the 3valleys.

unfortunately, my business plan did not factor in that I had no money to finance the venture, could have done with appearing on dragons den Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy am pretty sure peter jones is a skier!!

That was always my BS business plan for a ski business in US and Canada. Resort based Princess Di theme pubs with a proper curry house on the side. Or a mobile pie/pasty business in the alps.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Mjit wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

How do you prove to customs that a frozen lump of stuff is vegan ?

Great question!

I reckon that lump would be confiscated rolling eyes
ski holidays
Buy some vegan rubbish. Empty the packet and throw tasteless nutrition-free "thing" in the bin.

Wrap genuine tasty, meaty, juicy, tasty (did I already say tasty), product in said wrapper.

Crack on.
latest report
Would that be a meaty, tasty, pasty? Puzzled wink
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, food for the pooch is still my main headache.

Had a reply back from the manufacturer confirming they don't ship to EU and have no resellers. They suggest other online resellers but I don't think they understand the whole export thing.

I tried to understand the logistics of the export paperwork and quickly gave up on that idea.

Haven't been able to find similar in France either. Anyone know of any quality wet food that comes in 400g trays similar to Forthglade?
snow report
Timc wrote:
Would that be a meaty, tasty, pasty? Puzzled wink

*Sigh*

No. It was "tasty", with something in between, followed by a repeat "tasty", followed by a recognition that I had already said "tasty", as a play on the fact the in the meat/vegetarian debate, meat is, ya know. tasty.

That's why it's made out of meat.

Tasty meat. Mmmmmm.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Travel times to the Alps have been slashed by virtue of the European Cross Border Directive now not applying to UK drivers in Europe, which in turn means no points on your licence should you be caught speeding on the Continent.

Thank you for this post. I've been racking my brain for ages trying to find a single benefit in leaving the EU and now you have provided it. However, sadly, though you were fined and the fine chased you back to the UK for speeding you didn't actually get points on your licence.

4uck!!!? You mean I slowed down for a few years and didn’t need to! Jeez I missed that trick!
latest report
Quote:
I will be sad not to take a litre of milk with me. We drive overnight and get to the apartment about 6 in the morning desperate for a cup of tea. Getting milk in the middle of the night in France can be a bit of a challenge
Powdered milk would do the job? Presumably it's allowed?

Or powdered white tea ('QT' by Typhoo), which we've used for years in thermos flasks for skiing, hiking & biking.
snow report
@mountainaddict, standards dear boy, standards.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

Hmm. I'm not allow to take milk across the border, so I'll just take this white powder instead...
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I will be sad not to take a litre of milk with me. We drive overnight and get to the apartment about 6 in the morning desperate for a cup of tea. Getting milk in the middle of the night in France can be a bit of a challenge

Or powdered white tea ('QT' by Typhoo), which we've used for years in thermos flasks for skiing, hiking & biking.

Powdered milk is a marvel! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy