Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French resorts move to ban ski touring

Poster: A snowHead
@Ed_sec, Mine are all hosted on Flickr. Looking at the others they are also hosted elsewhere, not on Snowheads. More flexibility I guess.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Claude B wrote:
@Ed_sec, Mine are all hosted on Flickr. Looking at the others they are also hosted elsewhere. More flexibility I guess.

Thanks. Admin's thing worked but the pic didn't come out where I expected. Not a very informative pic so not vital this time. Looks like you've got a bit more snow where you are too, Grrr.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

But as the photo below shows that face in front under the gasex can go

@Weathercam,

You'd have thought that could be filed under "no poo-poo Sherlock" wouldn't you?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ed_sec, that bit further south I guess. We had a big dump on Saturday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude_B Looks like it. Even friends up in St. Jean D'Arves seem to have a fair bit more. I'll head south next time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hamilton wrote:
@davidof, indeed a lovely photo - would be interested in some of exposure details if you have them - did you under-expose much? curious as to the colour - it looks quite yellow on my laptop - only seen that in Africa, not europe.

You are going way beyond any knowledge I have of photography. I have tried to be interested in the subject but anything involving numbers sends me to sleep. I suspect the yellow is all the sulphur in the Grenoble winter atmosphere. I put my smartphone on HDR to capture the colours and it does its magic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crans Montana today. Found a couple of patches of powder on the way down, but it was just great to be in the mountains again

[Sorry, can't work out how to drop an image in. Some posted here]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here, Monetier and Puy St Vincent have banned ski touring in-resort..........
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sad from memory there is a good cross country ski track at Puy St Vincent. Is that allowed?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I saw online they have opened a piste for professionnels, athlètes de haut niveau et les mineurs des clubs de la FFS.

Went up here yesterday and there was a fair sized group from Alpe d'huez up there with a couple of ESF guys. Talking to a french guy who like me had slogged up there we agreed they only fitted into that interpretation extremely loosely Evil or Very Mad

We've had ski clubs training here from all over. Even saw a minibus from pyrenees2000. Taking the wee wee driving all the way across France imo Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So yesterday on FaceBook ESF Chantermerle https://www.facebook.com/esf.chantemerle/ posted a series of photos of them making a ski tour skinning track.

Traçage d’un nouvel itinéraire de ski de randonnée par l’ Esf Serre-chevalier Chantemerle - Chantemerle - Col du Prorel dans la forêt de mélèzes avec 1200 m de dénivelé.

Then there was a Press Release sent out by Serre Che Tourist Office yesterday,

Pour faire rimer s'amuser avec sécurité, les professionnels de la montagne seront là pour vous accompagner et vous encadrer dans la découverte des activités qui vous font rêver : ski de randonnée, sorties en raquettes, snowkite, ski nordique, ski joering... Accompagné d'un guide ou d'un moniteur, c'est l'occasion rêvée de prendre le temps d'apprendre les bonnes bases et les règles de sécurité pour glisser en toute sérénité !

La descente magique sur les pentes vierges ne pourra se faire qu'après une belle montée en peau de phoques dans la forêt. Les guides sont disponibles pour accompagner les néophytes et les former aux bases de la pratique ainsi qu'aux règles de sécurité indispensables avant de partir en montagne. L'accès aux pistes du domaine skiable est interdit.

So OH asked the Press Office again what the situation is/was .

Their reply below.

Indeed, access to the slopes is prohibited, so no one can ski or ski tour on the ski area at all.

So reading between the lines would seem that the Tourist Office are unaware of this move by the ESF that you can only ski tour in the domain with an instructor or guide, and if you re-read it, then you also need an instructor for other activities as well Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I read it as that you can tour in the forest, but not on the pistes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ecureuil, these are skin tracks that they are preparing in the forest (in between the pistes), similar to others that exist and then you ski down the pistes.

There's no way they'll have people skiing down in the forest, would be carnage Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They're being very sensible here. 2 touring routes, one on each side of town with a pisted run to descend if preferred. Plenty of walking and snowshoeing tracks too.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Claude B, and it's the same fecking company !!!!
ski holidays
I really hope they're not going to run the lifts though. They have this week, for "ski clubs". It would be very insensitive and wee wee people off, it has me already Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, not any more, we're SATA now.
latest report
@Claude B, same in Serre

On some days during the Christmas school holidays, two ski lifts in Chantemerle will be open exclusively for use by Ski Club members under the age of 18 (sports club affiliated to the FFS, supervised by State or Federal trainers, decree n ° 2020 -1519 paragraph 3 article 1Cool.
snow report
@Weathercam, Serre Chevalier ski club have been here, Montgenevre too, plus many others. Biggest pisstake imo was Pyrenees2000 driving here from the other side of France
snow conditions
An interesting number of people skinning up in Monetier, looking at the webcam and timings I think it's groups that must have left at 09:00 - I'm not too sure if now you can only skin up with a Guide / Instructor or not Puzzled

latest report
Saw a lot of ski tourers walking back from the bottom of the Aravet lift this lunchtime, not a guide or instructor in sight.....
snow conditions
Saw a few people touring at St. Sorlin d'Arves Yesterday. Some were experienced and doing classic nearby routes like col de la croix de fer. Others had clearly hired the kit and were going up and down the pistes. No instructors or guides except one teaching some kids on piste.
snow report
Arrived in Serre Chevalier yesterday, and having driven all day and being on my lonesome hit the sack early, and awoke to circa 10cm of fresh, and not seriously hung-over, a first in circa 50 years.

So out by 09:00 after getting all my gear together and was surprised that there was only one person ski touring in front along with a couple of snow-shoers.

I could see from various tracks elsewhere how many people had been out on the mountain previously, the piste had around 10cm of cold snow and was firm underneath.

I called it quits after circa 800m at the treeline as light beyond was very flat, plus could just feel a couple of hot spots developing.

On the way back down I was stunned at how many people had surfaced and were climbing up, and as I suspected most were only doing about 400m.

As the holidays end will be interesting to see how busy it will still be?

But the hire shops must have had a great time!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy