Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Boots for Tall/Heavy Guy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, any advice appreciated! I'm 6'6"/196cm and 230lbs/104kg I wear around a US 14 size shoe and have narrow feet. I've found that Solomon and Brooks Narrow shoes at 14 fit the best. I'm getting back into skiing after 20 years away so that'd put me at a green and blue on midwestern hardpack. Is there anything out there under 300? What Flex should I be aiming for? Thanks so much.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mobyhex, you need to go to a good boot fitter - simple as.

While boots have a flex rating they are not reliable or reliably comparable. Another of the many reasons to use a good i.e., recommended, boot fitter.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-12-20 8:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, good fitters not universally available ...

@mobyhex, my own opinion is that you probs want 100-120 marked flex. And then you really want to make sure you don’t get boots that are too big. They can always be made bigger. They really can’t be made smaller.

Where you based? Where you skiing? “Mid West” doesn’t really resonate with the majority UK/European audience round here Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mobyhex, there are some US-based folk on here, but for boots you want a good fitter, as @Layne said so you might get more relevant local advice on one of the US-based sites. Maybe Pugski (or whatever it's now called, skitalk?); TGR can be a little rough.

You'll no doubt get good advice on here, but we'll all be fitting by internet and that's not worth very much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mobyhex, certainly worth asking on skitalk a US based version of this type of forum, but be aware the advice will almost universally be the same split... 20% of people telling you that you must buy X brand and 80% of the people giving the only sensible advice which is go and see a good boot fitter. the best question to possible ask is " who is the best ski boot fitter in my area

with your height and weight you have long levers so anything softer than a 120 flex is probably just going to collapse under you, that siad everyone has different sensations in different boots, when you find the fitter please don't be too fixated on brand, Salomon make a narrow boot (the S Max) but it stops at size 29.5 so probably too small unless you are wearing shoes too big (and their running shoe sizing is so off the wall i wouldn't want to comment)
so find the good fitter, get assessed and measured and see what they suggest

in terms of under $300 highly unlikely, boots that size are rare, narrow boots that size are rarer and narrow boots that size and in stiffer flexes are rarer still, and unfortunately aren't cheap
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy