Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying to decide between laax/Flims, Verbier and davos?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’m flying to Geneva on Saturday for a week and trying to decide on the following resorts.
I suppose the most important aspect is where has the most snow so far or where is due the most while I’m there .... anyone have any info on that at all?

I’m a relatively experienced boarder and mostly like the backcountry/off piste so would like to visit Verbier but thinking there might not be deep enough snow to do much off piste there. Also if doing Verbier I’d prob have stay in a satellite village and not sure if there’s enough snow for connections?
If so then maybe laax would be better for the parks & also heard davos is meant to be good.

Any advice much appreciated thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just the fact that you are landing in Geneva suggest that Verbier might be the place of those you have suggested. Davos is at the other side of Switzerland and it would take a long time to take a train from Geneva to Davos. Laax/Flims are also in eastern Switzerland, although if you like train trips, the trip from Visp to Laax is very scenic if you take the southern route.

In Verbier, you can stay in Le Chable or even in Martigny if you dont mind a short train trip each morning and afternoon.

I dont know anything about the park situation in Verbier at the moment, but would be surprised if they have been able to build anything yet.

If you like parks, maybe Saas Fee or Zermatt is better at this time of the season. They are open more or less the whole year and guess the parks are maintained also in the fall. You can here also live further down the valley and take a short train/bus ride each morning. And they are both closer to Geneva than your two other options.

Hope you will have a nice trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at these snow maps linked below for an idea of snow depths. It’s too early for Verbier off piste this year. Go East or better Central from GVA. In your shoes I would split my week across Andermatt and Engelberg which have great freeride terrain and got pummeled with snow last weekend. Check out ski lodge Engelberg for accom. Some recent footage from Hedwig Wessel here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CIdbqMNH7QQ/?igshid=1liog6qf3n6gl

https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 8-12-20 14:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm taking my daughter to Engelberg for a few days from 18th - looking a pretty good option. We're flying to Zurich and hopping on the train
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster wrote:
I'm taking my daughter to Engelberg for a few days from 18th - looking a pretty good option. We're flying to Zurich and hopping on the train

That's a really good option - which I've done several times. Train straight from the airport railway station to Lucerne and then plenty of time to change comfortably for the Engelberg Express (not that quick and not really an express but an interesting journey nonetheless). Some of the fun of the journey has disappeared with the new tunnel from Grafenort - the old rack-and-pinion steep, steep climb into Engelberg was a little bit thrilling!

Conditions looking much improved although the glacier slopes and lifts were closed yesterday and today.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - I drove the last time I went thinking it was faster but if you add the car hire desk and the hassle the train looks a better option. Anyway trains are nice Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, Verbier would surely be the easiest transit? Get on the train in the airport, change at Martigny for the short hop to Le Chable, then 50m walk from the train to the télécabine up into central Verbier, or the PostBus if it's in the evening. See the SBB timetable from Genève-Aéroport to Verbier (télécabine). Check to see if there are Supersaver tickets available.

How much of the area - wherever you go - is open is likely to be variable pre-Christmas. Even if conditions are excellent resorts can decide to preserve the snow for the Christmas/New Year peak by not running all the lifts. So be prepared for any resort to be a bit more limited than the piste map suggests.

If you're after accommodation at short notice, then it may be useful to see what response you get now from the Tourist Office - perhaps it's worth a quick email now to see what's on offer?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Engelberg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don’t forget Andermatt. Less crowded than Engelberg at weekends, great terrain off the Gemsstock and gets even more snow
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgDy_KDZY_/?igshid=2vyzfeyz5mid
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy