Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A solo weekend in Engelberg 4-7th December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Long time lurker breaking cover at last!

Seeing as the slopes have closed today due to the half metre plus that they received overnight, I thought I'd share some thoughts about this little breakout.

First, the skiing. There is none today, and only a limited area on Titlis was open yesterday, Brunni was completely closed. Looking across the valley, the snow cover was patchy.

The lady in the rental shop warned me "if you are a beginner, you will not enjoy it" and she was right. The first runs of the winter always feel steeper than they are, and I spent about three runs feeling my way back in. Felt confident enough to tackle the black, which reverted to red halfway down, and it was a narrow, steep, polished drop. A tough baby.

However, I then went up to the glacier. Wide open pisted reds with a couple of centimetres of windblown powder on the top and a real extension of the gorgeous views. The light got better (it had been quite flat to start with), and it was wonderful. Had them to myself for three whizzy runs, arcing like I'd never been away. Then I had maybe four people at a time. Much more space than tthe Trubsee slopes lower down. Liftie on the t-bar reminded me to pull my snood up once, but that was all. Skied the rocky Rotegg in knee deep powder to get some soup, then headed back up to do it all again. Flattening light and cloud stopped play a bit early, but I was tiring so didn't mind too much. The runs were bumping up.

Good skiing, sun (through thin cloud) and a beer at the end of the day. Mission accomplished.

The town is quite pleasant, nowhere more than 10mins walk from the station. Cafes and bars are open, provided you wear a face covering until you sit down. The Swiss are being firm but polite about that sort of thing. Otherwise, they're very hospitable. Also, whilst there's provision for tourists, most seem to come from Lucerne or Zurich, at least this early in the season, and so the town feels quite quiet and earnest. People seem to come here to ski, as evidenced by the large groups skinning up the mountain with avalanche backpacks today.

So, would I come back? Not alone, and I'd plan it around some guiding/ski touring. There is enough piste for a weekend, but it's steep and demanding. I talked to a chap from Luxembourg on the lift, and we agreed that this is not a place for beginners at all.

Secondly, it is expensive. Things like meals,ski rental, lift passes are probably 10-20% more than in Austria and in many French resorts. I could have done certain things more cheaply, and I'll chalk them up to experience.

However, Engelberg, unlike France, Austria, and Italy, was open to me and guaranteed snow. Even if just pootling around on the glacier runs. I like to be pushed as a skier, and I was. The views are absolutely superb, and the lifts were good, with few queues.

Finally a word on the present time. I had planned this months ago, but talked myself out of it. When the Swiss reopened, I kept my ears up, and last Monday arranged everything. I did so because I think it likely we will not be allowed to travel in January (Lockdown 3) when I would normally go for a week. So, I went for a little adventure, visited Switzerland for the first time, and I'm very glad I did so.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(I have War and Peace with me and am procrastinating by posting on the interwebs)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Headengel2020, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Nice that someone is enjoying the snow.

(Although I don't believe the War and Peace bit! Laughing )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi wrote:
@Headengel2020, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Nice that someone is enjoying the snow.

It'll keep the OP occupied during their quarantine on return to the UK Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pics?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been there right at the end of the season a couple of times (mid-late April). Fantastic off-piste, and very quiet at that time of year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
Pics?

I may be the last Windows Phone user in snowland. I'll put them up tomorrow, once I've chiselled them out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugarmoma666 wrote:
maggi wrote:

It'll keep the OP occupied during their quarantine on return to the UK Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191352225@N06/50691588588/in/dateposted-public/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Headengel2020, wow, you really have the actual book! I apologise for doubting you and hope you enjoy it. I'm ashamed to say I've only seen it on TV.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy