Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which swiss resort?.....

Poster: A snowHead
am now thinking of taking the family before xmas for a week, switzerland as everything else is shut and have had to cancel new years trip..... i havent skied that much of switzerland so would appreciate any info people could give....

brief is 12-19th dec, snow sure, ideally ski in ski out, only need beginner slopes and decent nursery slopes, looking for self catering accommodation only...... is anyone knows any specific accommodation that would be great but really i am after a steer for resorts, i will be driving from calais

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.wengenapartments.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Whitegold, cheers about as far away as you can get from being ski in ski out.... great resort to go to in a car as well..... plank
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hotel Victoria Lauberhorn Wengen
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626, to br fair Zermatt can be ski in ski out . Hotel at 3100m gonergrat And at 2200 rifflealp . All academic the Swiss have says it’s locals only at Christmas along the same lines as Austrian announcement yesterday .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@vipul, no they haven’t. https://www.thelocal.ch/20201204/switzerland-adds-us-and-parts-of-austria-and-italy-to-mandatory-quarantine-list

Wengen is my pre-Xmas resort of choice and I also second the Victoria, great spa and good restaurant

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-12-20 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@vipul, ive skied it a few times and it’s not a resort that I would say it great for family going in a car with a 4 year old novice a 7 year old beginner....

I haven’t seen re the closures anywhere..... have you a link to the story?

Am ideally after self catering as youngest not great in restaurants Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ajc2260626, if you only need beginner slopes then somewhere like Flumserberg or Engelberg (but just Brunni) or Meiringen would be good

Not ski in ski out but you’re beginners so that’s unlikely to work easily.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, yep want kids with their skis on immediately rather than me carrying them.... Madeye-Smiley but will check them out
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or Sattel is a lovely LITTLE station - great for kids but not really a resort. Plenty of different things to do nearby.

If you are driving MAKE SURE you do a big shop in France/ Germany depending on which side you are driving. It is eye watering for those coming from the UK. and anywhere else to be honest, so could dent the holiday budget
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ajc2260626, Melchsee Frutt is ski-in/ski-out. Not a huge area and pretty kid-friendly (or it looks it and they say it it is - I don’t have kids to judge properly!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Veysonnaz has this mix with accommodation around the lower end of piste. Effectively ski down to lift for quite a number of individual properties.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Or Sattel is a lovely LITTLE station - great for kids but not really a resort. Plenty of different things to do nearby.

If you are driving MAKE SURE you do a big shop in France/ Germany depending on which side you are driving. It is eye watering for those coming from the UK. and anywhere else to be honest, so could dent the holiday budget

Distant recall has somebody's grandparents "busted" crossing into CH with uncooked poultry and sausages one Christmas Very Happy fined with contraband confiscated if I remember correctly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski3, you’re allowed 1kg of meat per person - if you’re bringing a turkey then you would have to declare it and pay it. If you don’t declare it and get caught ‘hello big fine’. I have to remind EVERYONE we are not in the EU and for godsake please write GIFT on your packages so I don’t have to pay 25chf tax and handling for 3 pairs of pajamas...
latest report
Davos/Klosters
ski holidays
For a full list of the import restrictions, especially on food, see the Swiss Federal Customs Administration Guideline Pages. Yes, visitors can sometimes forget that the limits on food/drink imports are going to be quite low (to deter Swiss from spending all their CH in France). This doesn't stop us shopping at one of the smaller French supermarkets near the border before entering CH, but you just need to know what the limits are.

Well, I'm obviously going to suggest Verbier, which has a fairly large learner slope but is perhaps too much if you are trying to avoid Reds. An interesting one might be Ovronnaz, which is a combined spa and small ski station up in the mountains. But again, bar a small learner slope, mostly Red. Our own Verbier satellite of La Tzoumaz has more blues to suit novices, and a small swimming pool, but pre-Christmas, the issue is always going to be how much of the area is open. And I'm talking blues here, not learner slopes.

If you're after the option of a day's break from skiing, then a nearby drive is the Bains de Saillon - a more family-oriented spa as opposed to 5* luxury.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 5-12-20 17:48; edited 7 times in total
snow report
St Luc, Chandolin. Sannersloch (Gstaad) Lenk, Meiringen (Haslital) beautifully set up for children.
There are many options.
ski holidays
Quite a lot of Villars has easy blues running through it.
snow report
@ajc2260626, re places to shop en route. If your route takes you from Pontarlier or Champagnole to Lausanne, via the border at Creux (nr. Vallorbe) then there's an Atac en route, right next to the road, with easy parking, in Jougne (just after the roundabout, see GoogleEarth). This is at Calais+713kms, just before the Swiss border, easy to park, and is medium-sized i.e. fairly quick to get 'round but big enough to have most of what you want.

I think that you can get groceries at a reasonable price in Switzerland as long as you go to one of the valley superstores. Obviously, prices are going to be much higher up the mountain in the resort. Somewhere like the Co-Op superstore just off the A1 Autoroute between Geneva and Lausanne at Jct.14 (Aubonne) has a pretty wide range and budget offers. Or the Migros in Martigny just off the A9 at Jct.21 (Martigny-Fully). These would be my suggestions if you were en route to Verbier, but obvioiusly it depends on your destiination.

We usually drive to our place in the 4 Vallées and recently, have tended to take a lot more with us from the UK i.e. do a shop/delivery here to get most of the staples. Then we'll stop at Jougne as above to get coffee and filters (much cheaper in France), wine and beer, milk, meat and cheese, and fresh bread for the evening meal. But we'll take enough to be OK, if for some reason we can't stop en route. The alternative is to stop at the massive E.Leclerc at Reims-Champfleury, around Calais+270kms just off the A4 at Jct.17 which also has discount petrol. ALso not a bad place if you want to pick up some coffee and eats.
latest report
A further addendum is resort needs to be open..... just heard from Nendaz and they aren’t open next week.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy