Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR - Zermatt, Snowheads global

Poster: A snowHead
I’m making my way from Sweden to Zermatt to meet up with @MancSkier (Dubai) and @AndreSilva (The Netherlands). We all met in July for a Warren Smith academy course in Cervinia/Zermatt on the glacier. Normal ski season so far from Sweden, the Netherlands and Dubai apparently Toofy Grin

We are staying close to the Talstation as I that’s the one which is running up to the open slopes. @AndreSilva and I are staying in Apartments Striya and @MancSkier in Apartments Telemark.

Nowadays with limited flight options, I booked my flights just a few days ago. Price was pretty normal. Nothing direct from Stockholm - Geneva so flew via Amsterdam with KLM. First leg was full, second leg maybe seventy percent full. To avoid an extremely early start or very late arrival, I decided to take the relaxing option and stay in the Ibis hotel, Geneva airport last night and am now on a pretty much empty train with a thermos of English tea travelling through the Swiss countryside and mountains.

Didn’t have chance to look much at what’s open or the conditions, apart from the WhatsApp messages that were exchanged between us. Limited amount of lifts/slopes open last week but more expected to open on Saturday. Forecast for snow and low-light, and some pretty bracingly cold temperatures. But as long as some lifts are running I’ll be happy!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How exciting, @Themasterpiece. The rest of us can enjoy a vicarious trip.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There'll be many a snowhead green with envy! Enjoy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is this part of the famous Zermatt ski test?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Enjoy the fresh snow and wrap up warm!!! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Themasterpiece, you lucky, lucky barsteward.

Tell us all about it. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s snowing in the village so that must be a good sign.

@BobinCH, I dug out my old insulated ski pants that I haven’t worn in years when I saw those temperatures!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Already 20cm up the mountain by the looks of it! Zoom in to find Zermatt
https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation/measured-values.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good first day. Flat light with no contrast, and a bit cold this morning. But quite a few of the lifts and slopes open. Enough for the first day anyway. Restaurants are doing takeaway only, which means you can’t stop for a coffee to warm up. A huddle in the lift building to eat an expensive sandwich is as good as it gets (at least so far).

This was what’s open today:

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I couldn't see sh*t today on the slopes Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Restaurants are doing takeaway only, which means you can’t stop for a coffee to warm up. A huddle in the lift building to eat an expensive sandwich is as good as it gets (at least so far).

Harden up lads, you’re there to ski not eat fondue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very very jealous of you guys! Enjoy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a great time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A very spicy dinner cooked by MancSkier and quite a lot of Jägermeister Manifest consumed (which is a lot better than the standard stuff) so let’s see how that affects things tomorrow Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great start today. Just a few slopes open in the morning but fantastic snow and the sun came out (at least enough to see what you’re skiing on). Clouds came in a bit in the afternoon, but quite a lot opened up including the glacier. Some pretty tough conditions towards the end of the day with moguled up pistes and no visibility.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 6-12-20 19:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

ski holidays

latest report
Not envious. Not one little bit. Honest.
Keep it coming Very Happy
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:

I remember taking those Old skool lunch stops. Did you Make your own baguette in the morning? snowHead
snow report
@AL9000, squashed ham and cheese croissants Smile

snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
@AL9000, squashed ham and cheese croissants Smile

The best kind Very Happy
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, Nice. I used to nab croissants at brekky. Those wafer biscuits are good too.
ski holidays
Summary of today - cold! Said -15C but ‘feels like’ -22C. It was a choice between having the buff up over the cheeks and nose, and steamed up goggles then turning into ice inside, or a frozen face.

Started out cloudy and snowing. Glacier area was open so started there in the morning with 20cm of snow on the pistes. A little later the sun came out and we had some pretty amazing conditions.

As more lifts and slopes have opened, the slopes have been very quiet. Usually possible for your group to have their own chair or gondola.
snow conditions

ski holidays

latest report

latest report
@AndreSilva left this morning and missed the best day yet Toofy Grin An almost blue bird day, and whilst cold it was great to see clearly and have an uninterrupted view of the Matterhorn.

I skied today then took a train this evening, leaving the Dubai crowd to carry on for their final three days.

The thermos was put to use for a pot noddle lunch Smile

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 9-12-20 8:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, I have been especially enjoying your mountain lunch photos!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@diaphon, thanks Smile The fork was given to me by the Ibis hotel at Geneva airport where I bought that pot noddle from. Very nice of them. I’m staying in the Nash Airport Hotel tonight which is next door, and I‘ll pass by the Ibis on the walk to the terminal tomorrow and will return it (not required, but it’s the right thing to do).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 9-12-20 8:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Enjoying reading these updates, heading to Zermatt next Saturday Very Happy
latest report
@BenW_86, we heard all the restaurants and bars will be open from next week. Whilst it would it have been nice to sit down for a coffee and warm up, as well as have a beer in a bar after skiing, I guess I saved a lot of a money bring my own lunch and making dinner in the apartment!

Snow on the pistes was great. Some offpiste tracks, but although everything is white the covering is pretty thin in some areas so big risk to hit hidden rocks in guess. Main variable was the visibility, but more so the contrast.

Have a great time!
snow conditions
Mmmm...hot spicy noodles. Razz
latest report
Sounds great.

Thanks for the heads up about the off piste, trashed my board doing in early season off piste last year!
snow conditions
@BenW_86, if I’d had my offpiste skis I would have done it anyway and taken some ptex Wink But the group was piste skiers, so we just blasted around trying to hone our skills.
ski holidays
Themasterpiece, Thanks for taking the time to post these updates. Have enjoyed reading and of course the lunch pictures.
Pleased you managed to get some good skiing in too Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The latest twist is being delayed at the gate on the Amsterdam-Stockholm flight and being quickly removed from the plane whilst being told to leave all personal belongings on the plane. Flight is cancelled, so let’s see how late it is before getting home.

https://nltimes.nl/2020/12/09/bomb-threat-prompts-aircraft-evacuation-schiphol-one-arrested

I knew I should have called in sick and stayed to ski Smile
latest report
@Themasterpiece thanks for the updates. I am considering booking Zermatt Christmas week. Eagerly reading anything I can to get a sense of the likelihood that it will be possible. Had the rug pulled out from under me for a few trips away this year. Did you get any insider info (or just a gut feel) of how the Zermatt locals are viewing their chances of remaining open?
I have to push the button on booking this by 17/12 so that I can let work know when I am expected to be back.

Tom
ski holidays
@Tom H, no insider info I’m afraid. The only interaction with locals was the apartment house owner, who seemed pleased we were there. I really hope they can lay on a normal-ish ski season.
snow report
Thanks...hopefully you are now home or not far off.
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, Thanks for these reports. Glad you enjoyed yourself. I hope you get home OK.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy