Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I odd because i tend to ski in the same place every year?

Poster: A snowHead
I think some people are overestimating the risk of not enjoying a new resort. Firstly assuming you are not just throwing a dart at a map you can make a pretty educated guess using a wealth of information online which resorts are going to suit your needs. Secondly, even if it's not quite as good as your favourite resort, that doesn't mean you are going to have a terrible time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boarder2020, I guess some people are just happy where they are. There is no FOMO for them. Could be an age thing.

Although I have a hankering for Niseko, Zermatt, Wengen, Heavenly, I’m quite content and very happy with my regular resort and the mates I meet there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

There is no FOMO for them.

I'd say it is FOMO. Just the fear is missing out on your regular resort. If somebody says I've been to a few resorts, worked out what I like/don't like, now I keep going back to one place because I think it's the best resort for my needs that's fair enough. The idea that "I might like that other resort just as much/more, but I'm worried i won't so will stick with what I have" is quite a negative way to look at things imo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
obviously with having a place I have to go to the same resort but even if i didn't I cant be arsed looking about, I am only there for a short time & I don't want to waste it looking for things.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I cant be arsed looking about, I am only there for a short time & I don't want to waste it looking for things

What does that even mean? Fancy going to that new Indian restaurant? Nah can't be bothered looking at a new menu, waste of time. Let's just go to the old place and order the same thing we do everytime snowHead

I personally think there is a nice balance to be struck somewhere in the middle. It's interesting hearing some of the people on the extremes of either end though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 things, how would you know about the new Indian if you haven't been there before, where as if you do go you will know what's new.
I wouldn't call everyone who has bought an extremists, just settled. Someone said it earlier but I do think it is an age thing.
Older & wiser or Older & lazier take your pick
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I accept having bought to somewhere you are somewhat tied to a resort. Nothing wrong with that, it's understandable. My Indian restaurant comment was a bit tongue in cheek in regards to your "I don't want to waste time looking for things", which seems like a reason to never do anything new ever again. Maybe just how you phrased it, but it seems like quite an extreme and negative mindset.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maybe my phrasing but I don't think anyone who knows me would ever describe me as negative or closed. Perhaps some people of a certain age after some 100 plus holidays have just had their best holiday ever & thought, "I've tried lots & this is the best, the odds of bettering this are slim. i am going to stick"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Perhaps some people of a certain age after some 100 plus holidays have just had their best holiday ever & thought, "I've tried lots & this is the best, the odds of bettering this are slim. i am going to stick"

^^^
This.
It is certainly an age and experience thing. You go through a phase when you’re researching what the world of skiing has to offer. After spending years (normally) sampling some of the reputedly best resorts, you discover one than ticks all the boxes (for you, subjectively), so you become a returning/regular visitor, and it soon starts to feel like a second home.
After reaching that stage, you may be mildly curious about other ski resorts, but not enough to drag you away from a place that supplies all your needs - especially if you have a season pass, and especially if you have a limited amount of holiday.
I only really question this when I hear of someone who has decided that a particular resort is “the best”, and I know that they could have done a lot better, because I’ve been there myself, and I know that it can be bettered in many important respects, without even looking much further afield.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we have to take in mind, that skiing holidays is something special...is not e.g. like city tour weekends or something similar
the main purpose is usually skiing as much as possible. Not exploring a new area...
If the idea is exploring something new, then, ok, but if the mein idea is skiing to the best, then (unfortunately or not) coming again and again to the same resort is maybe the best option
As many already mentioned, knowing where to go, when to go, how to go etc , which slopes are at the best and when, etc etc is a big advantage....when someone has all these, plus some choices for accommodation, eating, accesibility etc which pass to him, then there is no reason to go somewhere else

PS o yeah..i forgot how to write at English...WTF
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It is certainly an age and experience thing. You go through a phase when you’re researching what the world of skiing has to offer. After spending years (normally) sampling some of the reputedly best resorts, you discover one than ticks all the boxes (for you, subjectively), so you become a returning/regular visitor, and it soon starts to feel like a second home.
After reaching that stage, you may be mildly curious about other ski resorts, but not enough to drag you away from a place that supplies all your needs - especially if you have a season pass, and especially if you have a limited amount of holiday.

I agree completely up to the last sentence. I've found the resort that ticks the boxes for me and expect I will spend numerous seasons there (have already done 2 and plan to go back for 21/22 season). But there are still other places I want to visit and fully expect to in future. Not necessarily because they are better (although I'm sure they will be great), but just to experience them. I'd be quite disappointed if I got to the point where I was no longer excited about visiting places I'd never been - there are too many great exciting places out there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boarder2020, now try equating what you’ve just said to a relationship, and you sound like a wanton philanderer wink

Seriously though, I think that many, if not most, human beings are predisposed to exploring and sussing out life’s possibilities up to a certain age and stage of development. Then the wanderlust tends to be replaced by a more settled contentment with what one already has and is happy to commit to, believing that it outshines any other realistic options.
For some the wanderlust persists, which is why we have so many skiers wanting to keep trying different resorts, and why we have such a high divorce rate.
In a further attempt to be serious, there is generally a yin and yang. I have found that, in sacrificing exploration of different resorts, there are many compensations, but, if I spelt them out, I would probably be repeating what I said in a previous post.
Conversely, a persistent quest for “pastures new” involves risks, hassles, hurdles and inconveniences that are thankfully a distant memory for those who have carved a niche, or established a home from home, in their favourite ski resort.
I imagine that there must be plenty, who fall into the latter category, who have gone off on French frolics, only to return with their tails between their legs, pleading for forgiveness.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we have skied many different places and while I have done the three valleys quite a few times due to the company we went with at the time having chalets in most of the different parts of it, its not often we have gone back to the same resort without a few years break, we love learning about and seeing somewhere new but last year we went to st gervais for the first time and for 8 weeks, we loved it and personally would be happy if we never skied anywhere else, its so convenient for geneva to collect family and friends and is a proper village, we even got hooked on going to see the ice hockey. I guess its each to their own, and if you never go anywhere new you risk missing somewhere wonderful
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robs1, it’s a top town & agree on the ice hockey
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robs1, agreed; it’s only by playing the field for maybe 20 years or more that you can recognise perfection when you find it. Applies to many things in life, ski resorts included. Glad you found yours.
snow report
@tatmanstours I have my "favourite" resort where I expect to spend most of my snowboarding time. So I'm totally not against that. It's reaching the point of saying "that's it for me the rest of my life I'm only skiing here" that seems quite a depressing thought. Perhaps I've just not reached that age, or perhaps there are differences in psychology of different people. I suspect the 1 week a year skier who just likes to cruise some pistes for a couple of relaxed hours and enjoy some nice restaurants is much more happy to return to the same place year after year than the backcountry aficionado looking to find challenging lines and push themselves.

@tatmantours I prefer a car analogy. I have a car that fits my needs, it's reliable and efficient, and works perfectly day to day. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't take up the offer of driving a sports car sometime! That's really how I see my snowboarding. I have the main resort that works perfectly, but I have some "bucket list" resorts and destinations that I want to visit too. Would I want to do multiple seasons somewhere like gulmarg, or la grave? Probably not, but I definitely want to at least visit once.
snow conditions
I was quite late to skiing and hit on here, Les Deux Alpes, quite early on. My routine was for several years Tignes in December, somewhere with my daughter in February half term (Zermatt, St Anton, Laax plus others) and here with my daughter at Easter. Also fitted in several other trips to various french resorts, Norway, Canada, Pyrenees, Italy. When I decided to settle down though here was the obvious choice, I knew the place well and had friends here. However I still manage other places covered by my season pass regularly, Alpe d'huez, Serre Chevalier, Sestriere, La Grave, Montgenevre, Puy St Vincent plus some of the other smaller local resorts.
latest report
Harrow lady wrote:
We take two ski trips a year, January is always the Dolomites , March is a new resort. The years were we could go only once it was always the Dolomites, we love the area , the people , the food and infrastructure.

I've only ever been to the Dolomites in the summer. But I've been watching a few videos on YT of skiing the Sella Ronda and I must admit to getting a bit excited. Problem will be convincing Mrs DD that she will be OK walking there. Also, it's a whole day job skiing around the SR and I wouldn't be able to meet up with her for lunch! So needs a lot of research.
snow conditions
@boarder2020, yes, it’s very subjective. All one can really say is that there is a correlation between propensity to habitually ski in one resort, and age, extent of experience of other resorts, and extent of social network in that one resort.

Speaking for myself, I had a pretty good look around France and Switzerland, plus a few resorts in Italy, Austria and Spain. Very few resorts remain on any “bucket list” that I might conceive - certainly the Dolomites, but I struggle to think of any others.
I concede that I might have some regrets if I’d never been to places like the 3Vs, EK, Zermatt, Verbier, St A.
Regarding places further afield and more exotic, I think that I’d rather visit them in summer. To some extent, the physical skiing experience and mountain scenery is similar wherever you go. There may be more differences between navigating the same run on two different days, than between two runs in different resorts or different countries. The more marked differences are between culture, food, service, language, etc.
Also, if one’s perception is of already driving a Ferrari, then what?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-12-20 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
...... I have the main resort that works perfectly, but I have some "bucket list" resorts and destinations that I want to visit too. Would I want to do multiple seasons somewhere like gulmarg, or la grave? Probably not, but I definitely want to at least visit once.
I use the sports car as a daily driver, but otherwise that's pretty much my algorithm, albeit I have one more bit of spin.....

It depends on the snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

To some extent, the physical skiing experience and mountain scenery is similar wherever you go.

If you are sticking to pistes I would agree. Personally that's why I prefer n America to Europe - controlled inbounds off-piste means a much different skiing experience to in Europe. I get the feel backcountry in n America is also much more remote feel than backcountry in Europe - which tends to be more slack country around resorts (Norway seems to be an exception). Lower population density probably helps in that regard.

Quote:

3Vs, EK, Zermatt, Verbier, St A

Interesting to hear what resorts people want to visit. I've been to EK and 3 valleys. Can't say Europe has too much appeal for me now other than Chamonix and la grave. In USA I'd love to visit Jackson hole and squaw. I guess to me those 4 are kind of iconic resorts I would like to visit at least once to see in person the lines I've seen in so many films. I would be the first to say the other more exotic places I want to visit are very much niche backcountry kind of places or trips (i.e. boogaboos traverse, haute route etc.), rather than traditional resorts. In fact I kind of agree that there is probably not that much difference between many resorts.

Quote:

Also, if one’s perception is of already driving a Ferrari, then what?

Even if you have a Ferrari you would probably enjoy a day in a Bugatti too wink I guess my idea of Ferrari is something like bugaboos traverse, haute route, classic off piste lines in Chamonix. Probably not the thing you want to be doing every day for the whole season.
ski holidays
@enduroaid, Where are your favorite places in the Zillertal? When the COVID travel restrictions are lifted I am keen to book some ski trips in the Alps. I am very interested in the Zillertal (as well as other places). Thank you! snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 20-12-20 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I’ve always wanted to ski in the Arlberg, are there any specific places you would recommend? My first order of business after the COVID travel restrictions is to ski in the Alps. Thank you. snowHead
snow report
Being relatively new to skiing still (started in 2015) the OH and I are trying to experience as many different resorts/places as possible. So far we have done L2A, Montgenvre, La Plagne, La Tania, Saalbach, Val Di Fassa and Champrey.

All have had reasons to go back and I'm sure one day we will, but I have so many resorts I want to tick off. New places to experience, new vistas to gawk at. Tignes, ADH, Serre, Zermatt, Verbier, Madonna, Are, Soldeu, Baqueira, St Anton, Ischgul, Mayrhofen to name a few! And that's just Europe.....

I certainly get the appeal of going back to the same place. We have friends that return to the same hotel in Val Gardena every year. They love it. But they have been skiing for 40+ years.

That being said, I don't mind going to a different part of an area. So for example I only spent a day in Les Arcs when we went to La Plagne so would happily go there for a trip. Same with Val Thoren or Chatel.
snow report
Fridge03 wrote:
Being relatively new to skiing still (started in 2015) the OH and I are trying to experience as many different resorts/places as possible. So far we have done L2A, Montgenvre, La Plagne, La Tania, Saalbach, Val Di Fassa and Champrey.

All have had reasons to go back and I'm sure one day we will, but I have so many resorts I want to tick off. New places to experience, new vistas to gawk at. Tignes, ADH, Serre, Zermatt, Verbier, Madonna, Are, Soldeu, Baqueira, St Anton, Ischgul, Mayrhofen to name a few! And that's just Europe.....

I certainly get the appeal of going back to the same place. We have friends that return to the same hotel in Val Gardena every year. They love it. But they have been skiing for 40+ years.

That being said, I don't mind going to a different part of an area. So for example I only spent a day in Les Arcs when we went to La Plagne so would happily go there for a trip. Same with Val Thoren or Chatel.

We know a couple who not only go to the same resort and hotel each year but insist on the same room and when it was decorated and new furniture put in hex went mad, now that is taking it to extremes
snow report
I’m sure I’ve told my tale before but if not this is my ski holiday history.
Learnt to ski on dry slope with school in the 80’s but due to teachers strike school trip to Alps never happened & skiing slid off my radar.
Roll forward 30 years & kids learning now, determined to make sure history doesn’t repeat itself I took it upon myself to take them, but where I’ve never been to the alps?
I’ve no idea how we stumbled across StG but I can remember that to go there in October half term was cheaper than to go to centre parcs, so off we went with a view to drive to resorts to see where we will take them.
Returned from that week with a offer on the table for an apartment that we never went to buy, never mind I’d never skied the area, I’d actually never skied on snow.
We are a spontaneous couple and it’s worked out for us. 5 years later & I’ve still never had the itch to try somewhere else.

I do not recommend this approach but it’s how I got here
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy