Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damaged Thule 757 Rack Foot - thoughts? (Thule Saga, Part the Deuxieme)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Deja vu or something. You'd think I'd learn.

We're not even 2 years on since my last Thule nonsense.

If you're interested, and read this far, I'm sure you can guess what's gone wrong, again. Differences being that this has been over a not very damp summer and there was frequent and routine application of industrial quantities of silicon grease. And it happened over a few short weeks.

The good - the foot, most bizarrely - has seized not quite closed, so I can lever the rack off the car and get the foot off the rack. The poor vehicle has been used to transport a hefty old volume of plaster and other boards over the summer, so it is possible that the mechanism has just become overloaded/tightened/etc.

The pricey, but we at least have a solution, solution, ordered Sunday, arrived today, a new foot. Still in wrapping, in case.

The probably about to be bad, in the absence in the next 24 hours of SHs genius alternatives, I'll try forcing the issue and if I just break the thing, well, I've paid for the replacement.

Anyone have any idea where I might have put the locks' master key for removal and refitting??

No?

Me neither.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kicks the can down the road but replacement keys are available:

https://www.roofracks.co.uk/master-key/p/2448
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Me neither, but my stuff usually ends up round the back of my coffee machine. Laughing

You'd be better off using something like Duckhams Keenol (used to be available but no longer made, I keep a contraband like illicit stash of it) as it used zinc oxide, I believe, as sacrificial element to avoid galvanic corrosion from electrolyte ambient conditions.

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Ramonol/White-Grease-500g/G9C seems to be offered as alternative, or you could try Sudocream if you want to experiment.

Silicon works well on some materials but it may be helping those in your structure scavenge one of the components.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DJL, yeah, but, impatience. Tomorrow in the cold light, I shall have a better root around the garage as I cannot believe we've thrown away the box the new feet came in (it being France and all) and they are probably in there.

@ski3, could be. Pretty sure Thule recc silicon, but, yep. I am liking the look of Ramonol Universal Grease? Anyway, no idea where I'd get that locally. Although I have had a bright idea, presumably ski bindings need some sort of greasey lubricant every now and then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski binding components (the mild steel bits) are usually zinc plated, yellow passivate, that gives the gold-ish colour if you look at the components. This does the same job, it's ultimately sacrificial, and so can use a "normal" grease. Same interaction though as I see it.

You may get marine grease supplies over Annecy way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, I think there may be a chandlery or two in Geneva ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, oops forgot about that one rolling eyes

Probably because I'm fixated on driving past Lake Annecy on my way to the Tarantaise, struck by it's beauty and the enigmatic pollarded lime trees along the shore Very Happy it always reminds me of my first visit to the Alps, absolutely lovely.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely if you cant fix it (or anything) with wd40 or gaffer tape, then its time to buy new Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Surely if you cant fix it (or anything) with wd40 or gaffer tape, then its time to buy new Puzzled

I was viewing more as previous measures failed to make it last long, so suggestion is looking toward what could you improve for helping it's replacement live a long and fruitful life.

We may get to find out in 2022 Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ACF50 Fab stuff, might be a bit late but put it on the new stuff...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ski3, @harrim51, yep, thanks both. The more I think about it I think it's been mechanical damage. Esp. as it has locked in a not complete position.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy