Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack for boot + clothing + gear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys.

I'm looking for a backpack to carry my boot + clothing(ski pants/midlayer/jacket) + gloves + helmet.
Not so difficult to find, but I would like one that I could use as hand luggage. I know that most of the backpacks won't fit in the maximum size capacite for hand luggage, but as long as they are not hard case, I think I can squeeze them if it is not too full.

I'm interested in the Dakine Boot locker 70L: https://www.dakine.com/collections/ski-travel-bags/products/boot-locker-dlx-70l?variant=29226112319568

Does anyone have this model or something similar ? If so, do you think it would be possible to use as hand luggage for European flights ?

They have two other variants:
75L, maybe too big: https://www.dakine.com/collections/ski-travel-bags/products/boot-pack-dlx-75l
50L, maybe too small to fit clothing: https://www.dakine.com/collections/ski-travel-bags/products/boot-pack-50l
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The theoretical maximum capacity of a bag that fits the BA hand carry allowance (64x45x25cm) is 63L, assuming infinitely thin material. To my knowledge, no major airline in Europe (or the US) allows larger bags than BA, and many are smaller.

I have a BA-max roller bag which IIRC has a 54L capacity (allowing for wheels, handles, frame etc.) and looks very large. I can easily travel for 10 days with it, and even did a 1 week work trip with ski boots in it as well as work kit.

A 75L bag is definitely going to breach the size limits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Checkout Douchebags - have been using an older version - It is the classic Hugger (35l) the new 30L do not fit ski boots well at least larger boots!
https://www.theski-shop.co.uk/7511/products/douchebag-the-hugger-35l-ski-boot-bag.aspx

the douchebag fits my ski boots inside and everything I need for 2/3 days skiing if I pack it properly and also pack items inside the boots Very Happy Its hand luggage size compliant and then I carry the helmet in my hand.

Also worth checking any of these out:
https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/ski-luggage-backpacks-c10/ski-boot-bags-c39/atomic-rs-45l-pack-red-bright-red-p2848
https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-race-c6/race-luggage-backpacks-c94/race-ski-boot-bags-c97/lange-backpack-bootbag-p17284
https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-race-c6/race-luggage-backpacks-c94/race-ski-boot-bags-c97/tecnica-firebird-race-bag-70l-p16853
https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/extend-go-to-snow-gearbag.html#color=19714

It all depends on how many additional pieces of clothes you plan to take with you - if youre happy staying in the same shoes, jeans and jumper you travelled in and just need to change your underwear / t shirts and socks you dont need much space at all!

snowdave wrote:
A 75L bag is definitely going to breach the size limits.

it is only going to breach the limits if packed to the brim - backpacks unlike rollers / hard suitcases can compress down.

My experience is that you are far more likely going to be pulled to have your roller bag checked than a backpack, BA are very generous with the weight allowance while other airlines are not.

Douchebag with 29.5mondo boots inside and space to spare above for ski pants, thermals, change of clothes etc.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 1-12-20 14:58; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreSilva, I have that bag and there is no way I would think of taking it on as hand luggage. I'm not sure it would fit overhead bins, especially on busy flights where you would be "that guy rolling eyes ". I only use mine if I'm driving.

snowdave wrote:
The theoretical maximum capacity of a bag that fits the BA hand carry allowance (64x45x25cm) is 63L

I think it's 56 x 45 x 25 = 63L and does that mean I win a prize?

I wish airlines would get strict enforcing this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You want something as close as possible to the airline dimensions, e.g. easyjet 56x45x25. The Douche above appears more of that shape that a dakine ones which aren't optimised for

Do you defo need backpack style?
I use a normal cabin bag, and pack it like extremerob says above and carry my helmet (glasses wearer so take visor helmet with me). if you go premium/speedy board with a small carry on bag in addition, that easy covers some change of clothes for the evening, ipad etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use Snokart boot Airliners for my boots (with things stuffed inside them), which then fit nicely into a carry on bag - I usually go for a 'cabinmax' branded bag (backpack style - just ordered my second, 1st died after 4 years and a LOT of flights), as they're cheap and durable enough for my purposes, and generally a good amount of capacity within allowed dimensions.

https://www.snokart.com/products/boot-airliner?variant=842574107

Edit: (new) skiboots inside my new cabinmax backpack. Airliners are buried in a box somewhere but take up no room. Plenty of space left in this bag (though not sure how clear that is in the photo). A helmet did (just) fit in my old bag, but haven't got one at the minute to demo. I preferred to clip it to the outside anyway though.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-12-20 15:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pruman wrote:
@AndreSilva, I have that bag and there is no way I would think of taking it on as hand luggage. I'm not sure it would fit overhead bins, especially on busy flights where you would be "that guy rolling eyes ". I only use mine if I'm driving.

snowdave wrote:
The theoretical maximum capacity of a bag that fits the BA hand carry allowance (64x45x25cm) is 63L

I think it's 56 x 45 x 25 = 63L and does that mean I win a prize?

Yes, and for the next question, do I blame my maths, my reading, or my typing?!

The only time I've seen BA try and enforce this was when I had a 75L Golite rucsac (no frame or structure at all) with 2 down jackets in it. I was pulled out of the queue by the GVA desk staff, who were very surprised by the easy with which it fitted into the sizer.

However, unless it's with fluffy stuff like down jackets, then buying a 75L backpack and putting <50L of stuff in it risks stuff moving around, making it an awkward carry, and possibly not fitting the sizer if the boots are now lying the wrong way round.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Yes, It amazes me how some people try to get oversized bags onto the plane.

I thought the size of carry on bags was determined by the aircraft not the airline ie will it actually fit. There are also design constraints on the strength of the overhead locker though clearly some airlines do want the weight reduced for ecconomic reasons.

Personnaly I don't really like carry on luggage and woud prefer it if everything went in the hold.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pruman wrote:

That sucks, I really liked the fact that the boots stay separated from the rest, as usually I ski on the day I'm going back, so the wet boots don't touch the clothes Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
... I thought the size of carry on bags was determined by the aircraft not the airline ie will it actually fit...
Personnaly I don't really like carry on luggage and woud prefer it if everything went in the hold.
No, that's not how it works. It doesn't even work that way for hold baggage!

Many people who fly a lot (like me) prefer to keep hard-to-replace gear in hand baggage, even if carrying boards in the hold.
Boards can be rented, boots/ my bindings are often not available. This is more than twice as important if your trip has
more than one segment. I do not get in anyone's way.

I have a Mammut 50L bag which I use for this. Other brands exist and are likely just as good; they're always changing the
details. I've used this one extensively for snowboard and surf trips around the world on a variety of airlines, all without any hassle.
I do check their dimensions / weight rules. There are minor dimension differences especially with some "budget" airlines, but this
one can be squeezed into all. I would not go bigger.

I'm not a huge fan of dedicated "ski" gear, although Dakine stuff is generally good (and they have a 20% sale in the US)
and I've used their photo bags for a long time.

For snowboarding the Mammut takes my boots plus other breakable/ expensive stuff without a problem.
The key feature for me is that the bag needs to look like a bag (not a back-pack),
but it should also have backpack straps as when fully loaded I need to distribute the weight. The Mammut bag has a
separate section for dirty knickers, but not for wet boots, for which you'd want a tesco carrier bag or two.
There are compression straps and also internal straps so the thing works well if not fully loaded and
the boots don't move around. Mine came with a separate laptop carrier which is handy for more discretely carrying
a machine to the beach. I don't like too many "features" in bags, but this has matching pockets at each end
which actually work well for stuff you need to access when you're schlepping around airports and hire cars.

Oh yeah, at half the weight of plastic, Carbon Fibre boots rule if you're taking them in hand baggage.

Knickers aside I don't really carry clothing in my carry on: that can be borrowed or rented, so I just stuff that
in my board bag for snowboarding trips. For ordinary trips I don't have the boots, so clothing goes in here just fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

usually I ski on the day I'm going back, so the wet boots don't touch the clothes

Airliners - I really cannot recommend them enough. Separate your boots, keep everything else dry, and take up very little room (and handy to carry boots around in general outside of bags). Just saw they are on sale for less than £20 on absolute snow: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/SnoKart_Boot_AirLiner_SkiSnowboard_Boot_Bag_Grey-(32514)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i think rob@rar uses and likes this (or a similar model)

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/extend-go-to-snow-gearbag.html#color=19714
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This has been superb

https://media.ekosport.fr/INTERSHOP/static/WFS/EKO-FR-Site/-/EKO/fr_FR/Product/600/redster_boot_backpack_AL5001008_02.jpg

Its great for hand baggage as the top part is a fold-out stetchy net to hold the helmet, so it doesn't use up valuable space inside (no problems at all with security or flights on multiple trips). Ski boots can be clipped to the side also if you want to use the bag to and from the slopes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

I got a bag made by the local sail maker to maximize BA and easy jet (old policy) cabin baggage. It was big! Biggest problem it had no strength to hold its shape but if you persevered you could reinforce it with something. I now just use a antler pull along maxed to 56x45x25cm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've some older versions of this https://www.stoeckli.ch/usen/shop/bags/wrt-line-ski-boot-back-pack-70l that have worked well, unsure of sizing with respect to carry on though.
snow report
I use a North Face medium Duffel as a carry-on with boots, etc in it. Max it out and it's too big for carry-on, but I think I'd need to take multiple changes of clothes/day to actually fill it, so it always comes out well under and I'd have no trouble squidging it in to one of those bag size check frames if I was ever asked. If you're worried and a light packer you'd probably get away with a small duffel.

I usually fly BA, either burning work air miles or OptionTown vouchers, and have never had to actually carry the duffel on to plane. My skis in a Sportube go as my checked bag and every time if I haven't been asked "Would you like to check you carry-on bag for free?" I've just said "Can I check my carry-on bag too, I've got to wait for the skis to come around the carousel anyway and it frees up space in the cabin for other passengers?". Every time that's had a cheery "No problem." response, 2 bags checked in to the hold and just my little day pack ("...and a laptop bag/handbag") to walk around the airport with.
snow report
I use a 50l RAB kit bag https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-kit-bag-ii-50l-E2314458.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CWO-UK-PERF-ONG-PR-TXT-NB-DSA-catch_all-BOFU&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOcbGBlYaeBvJb8A8Hk54muKDom2LDBKZByxN7Ice56H55qhbPTiP68aAvm8EALw_wcB

It is slightly too long but since it will compress it will be fine.
snow report
Also there is a samsonite wheeled trolley I used in the =past that can take 2 boots and it is 20cm wide but expandable to 25cm. The 2 wheeled can take boots but the 4 wheel doesn't

https://www.goplaces.co.uk/products/samsonite-spark-sng-55cm-2-wheel-expandable-cabin-case?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=shopping+feed+kelkoo&variant=43094968661&sfdr_ptcid=10672_100_95742639&sfdr_hash=3569d4cf204a45bd934d569492697545&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOcX13zgqO0qzn4Ig6bNdqDFPHyMRzN2a7l81Yu6WG_I6ctgLZqAvtwaAjfoEALw_wcB
snow conditions
AndreSilva wrote:
usually I ski on the day I'm going back, so the wet boots don't touch the clothes Confused

Those airliner things look very snazzy but, umm, you could always just use a couple of plastic bags. Puzzled

If I'm going for a weekend I tend to use my Thule ski boot bag (similar to one linked below, but different design). There's a separate compartment for ski boots, but to maximise packing I tend to have stuff in there. On the way back that's usually only shovel, probe and salopettes...stuff I don't mind getting wet (but to be honest, on the way back I don't mind most of it getting wet - I don't need my dirty kit to stay dry). I can fit enough kit for 2-3 days in there, although if it's going in hand luggage then I normally end up a bit squeezed.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/sport-travel-bags-and-cases/ski-snowboard-bags/thule-roundtrip-boot-backpack-45l-_-3204355
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
usually I ski on the day I'm going back, so the wet boots don't touch the clothes Confused

...on the way back I don't mind most of it getting wet - I don't need my dirty kit to stay dry

That's the approach I've always taken too. Boots off, knock off the loose snow, put on last clean change of clothes, then a wipe with a dirty base layer to get any water off before they go in the bag with all the dirty clothes that will be going straight in the washing machine when I get home...usually about 10min before the transfer bus is due to pick me up.
ski holidays
get a "start bag" which is the type of rucksack that people who race use to take to races. Boots, helmet, ski gear all in nicey. Acually you can get boots and ski gear and a weeks clothes in if you are careful. And they fit (at least they used ) to fit esayjet's cabin bag size exactly.

e.g.
https://skiracing.co.uk/product/lange-racing-boot-backpack/
snow report
Very interesting - I'm looking for something similar myself.

I'm looking for something which wont be too obtrusive on my back for a days skiing. Pretty much empty apart from the shoes I walked to the lift in and a layer or two.

Are the above suggestions mainly used for schlepping through the airport..or does anyone use them as I intend, ie. to carry boots to the lift and back and wear the backpack for the day on the slopes..?

Cheers
snow report
For me the North Face duffel's just for schlepping through the airport (and the 8 mile walk from the terminal to the transfer bus at Geneva) and to/from the hotel in resort. I then have a small 10/15L day pack that for flying can either be the bag I actually carry on (if check-in have let me check the duffel for free) or easilly shoved inside the duffel if not. Once checked in it's the day pack that actually goes out on the mountain (Usually with my passport and Kindle in it for the first day or two, till I realise I've forgotten to take them out. Again.).

That pack wouldn't be bigenough to fit ski boots to walk to the lifts though, so may not be the combo for you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy