Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost of driving to the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if i have posted this in the right place, but what the hell...

Im in the process of trying to perswade one of my flatemates to come skiing in Tignes with me and a group of mates (and other assorted student randoms) for the first week of july, however cost is a major issue.
as the cost of getting 2 flights is rapidly approaching 200 quid (once i include carrage for the skis) we have been looking closer at driving out.
First off I have allready caculated the fule bill (acording to multimap Tignes is about 840 miles away, so thats a 1700mile round trip, fortunatly that works out at only having to buy 3 tanks of fuel (which will cost at english prices about a hundred quid for the lot (less if we take gerry cans from the farm with us),
I basicly have 2 questions I need to find answers for before i can finish pricing the trip, first off, what sort of price per litre do you usually pay in france, and how much should I budget on paying for tolls.

finally, any where he can hire skis in La Lac that wont break the bank would be handy.

Cheers
Rich
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the_fatadder, I have a little idea for the Payéage, i'll drop you a P.M. I hope your not KARMA driven. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the_fatadder, The tolls work out at about £50 each way (if I recall correctly). Breakeven (compared to flying) is 3 or 4 per car. You'll find lots of ski hire places in Val Claret....not sure about Lac in the summer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also have a look at www.tignes.net (of you've not already done so !)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the_fatadder,
Price per litre of Petrol in France is a bit cheaper than here but not much. Similarly its a bit cheaper again off the motorway but not much. Tolls are about £45.00 each way.
You will probably make the best saving by getting a Nationwide credit card which does the foreign exchange rate and doesn't charge you a commission or fee for each transaction. Use it to buy petrol and pay all the tolls. (remember not to loose it)
You won't have space for Gerry cans! Plus both the Tunnel and ferries don't like 'loose fuel' for safety reasons! (anyway you'll need space for the beer for the week you will buy at cheap prices in the Hypermarche in Chambery!)
Don't forget you WILL need snowchains (but not in July wink ) (it is illegal to drive in the mountains in winter without them in the car!)
and also depending on where you are going you may need to pay to park the car for the week!

and don't forget to check that your UK car insurance covers you and with the same protection whilst in Europe. You may have to pay extra for the trip.

Use the search facility here and you will find loads of info on driving to the Alps. Start here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=202256&highlight=boggart#202256

Just weed out the bits that don't apply in July Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 2-05-06 19:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I drove out to Val Thorens last week and petrol was more expensive than here. Was just a about a pound a litre. 1.37 euros a litre.
Trip cost us about 250 euro each way from Calais to Val Thorens with pertrol and tolls.

Thats £182 each way. Plus the petrol we put in from Swansea and on the M4 on way back.

We paid 52 euro to park the car.

Paid £24 to ensure another driver both ways

Paid £17 to upgrade my insurance

Hope thats a help

Gareth
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Petrol from supermarkets was about 1.24 euros a litre two weeks ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Don't forget you WILL need snowchains (it is illegal to drive in the mountains without them in the car!)

In July Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Driving there is part of the holiday and its cheaper and more of a laugh than flying
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, oops! Embarassed Well, you never know Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.autoroutes.fr/voyage/itineraires.php?lng=2

is a good website for working out costs of trips as well as maps and 'pictures' of the signs you will see at the various road changes.

But it is in French...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the help, thankfully my mates car will do about 550 miles on a tank, and the first tank is free (well borrowed from his parents farm...)

boredsurfin, Idea was to drive to dover and then poor all the extra deisel in there (and convinently leave the emptys round the back of one of dads shops for collection on the way home), then fill the car with drink in calais (thus reducing the drinks bill for the week, and opertunity to flog any spaire to everyone who flew out....

I do think that driving out would be a good laugh (particually seeing as there was talk of another car from Cardiff driving out, and would proberbly meet up with people from other unis at dover.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the_fatadder, Ah! Diesel is cheaper than Petrol in France! According to this website 17% cheaper!
http://www.day-tripper.net/pricespetrol.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_fatadder, if you do,buy walkie talkies so that you can chat while driving to each other and save the money on the mobiles.(can also be useful on the slopes !)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
the_fatadder, Ah! Diesel is cheaper than Petrol in France! According to this website 17% cheaper!
http://www.day-tripper.net/pricespetrol.html
Which makes the current price premium over petrol in this country all the more infuriating Mad
ski holidays
Have a think about driving across northern France and into Luxembourg. Luxembourg used to have the cheapest petrol in Europe and I think it still does (I used to live there). Then take the autoroute to Nancy (it's free) then go down through the Vosges via Epinal, Luxeil, Vesoul. They are secondary roads but they are good and uncrowded. I have used them a number of times in winter.

There you have it - cheap fuel, no tolls and good scenery.

Try the route on multimap and I think you will find that it is not too much further.
latest report
Quote:

petrol was more expensive than here. Was just a about a pound a litre. 1.37 euros a litre.

That's cheaper in fact, at current exchange rates.
snow conditions
Having come back that way a few weeks ago, I can confirm that Luxembourg still has the cheapest diesel (compared with France, Belguim, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, & UK).

Did the Epinal route to PdS last year and it was fine, but it did take quite a bit longer. Be aware that there are long-term major roadworks on the motorway from Belguim to Luxembourg which last year (in early April) delayed us by at least two hours, although this year we were hardly held up at all. Seemed to me that the French autoroutes seem to be better that the Belgian/Luxembourg/German ones: i.e. less traffic and better maintained - but you do pay for it via the tolls!
latest report
I haven't dared work out my bills from driving last month....but petrol was a lot cheaper in Austria and Switzerland than in Germany, France and Belgium.
snow report
I'll get you the prices round here for fuel today - will check in Auchan at lunch - I think it's about €1.28 for 95 unleaded.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Can you post the diesel price as well. Ta
latest report
boredsurfin, sure
snow conditions
Any other prices you'd like?

A maxi thon is €3 at most shops, or €3.30 at Paul (but it's worth the extra).
Nokia N90 is €492 without a contract.
Pinot Noir is €7.95 for a reasonable bottle...
snow report
It's definitely cheaper to buy fuel in France, (not as much as previously, but still) but never on the motorways. Most towns are not very far from a motorway and the petrol's about 5-10cents per litre cheaper, sometimes more. I usually pay about 65 euros in tolls e.w. if that's any help. Speedferries are usually the cheapest cross channel ferry, followed by Norfolk Lines to dunkirk.

But fatadder why Tignes? LDA has much more life in summer - well, all year round really, and is only about 15 miles further, and is generally much cheaper. Laughing
snow report
easiski wrote:
But fatadder why Tignes? LDA has much more life in summer - well, all year round really, and is only about 15 miles further, and is generally much cheaper. Laughing

And superb instructors wink
ski holidays
The toll from Calais to Albertville via Reims-Dijon-Lyon-Chambery is 134 euros return, = £94 at ~1.4 exchange rate.
snow conditions
Dont forget head lamp deflectors, first aid kit, spare bulbs and safety triangle. All of which are legally required when driving in france. Also remember that getting cought speeding on the otherside will get you points on your licence. Have fun, driving beats flying every time.
snow report
well i didnt know that about speeding over there, thought you just had to pay the fine Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PP, I thought you were now legally obliged to have all that stuff in Europe? Not just France - GB is in Europe BTW .... wink
snow report
And if you are driing in Italy, you need the Hi-vis jackets in case of standing road-side
ski holidays
and if anyone's got a speed detector (active or passive) it's an arrestable offense and a HUGE fine.
latest report
JimW, and it also has to be inside the car, not in the boot.
snow report
Masque wrote:
and if anyone's got a speed detector (active or passive) it's an arrestable offense and a HUGE fine.

If you have a sat nav take the instruction manual with you Shocked
You may need to prove it is NOT a radar detector.
Possesion is an offence NOT use Shocked
latest report
Elizabeth B, for 3 Valleys trips we usually get away without having to get any petrol in France Smile

JimW, the high-vis jacket is also required in Austria now, I believe
ski holidays
I have heard that sometimes the Gendarmerie will check the time on your ticket at the "Peage" to make sure your average speed over the section has not exceeded the national speed limit. I have never come across this personally, but anecdotely have heard of cases.

I have also heard that the police are active nortbound around 50 miles from Calais waiting to snare UK motorists rushing to catch a ferry/shuttle. Not been caught yet but keep a weather eye open, as much as possible.

Personally I always travel no more than 130/140kph on the French autoroute system. Over a 550/600 mile journey to the Alps an extra 10/20 kph and the the risk it entails are not worth worrying about really
snow report
DAVID SNELL, By way marker 38.6 a Gendarme and a car and a handheld radar. Toofy Grin
Pay your fines (speed no GB sticker no headlamp deflectors etc etc) in the office at the side of the Peage Sad

Why does anyone need to drive at more than 130kph?
snow conditions
boredsurfin, 38.6 eh -I'll put that in the memory bank wink
latest report
DAVID SNELL, they were there as we travelled north on the 21st April,not long before the toll station.The gendarmes were then at the peage station to stop the offending vehicles. Fortunately we weren't one of them.
ski holidays
Only once in all my trips this winter were they not there! Sad
ski holidays
Sorry for the delay - skipped lunch for a couple of days. The current prices at Auchan, just off junction 5 of the A35 are:
Unleaded 95: 1.30.9
Diesel: 1.09.9
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy