Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you see northern light at Banff Sunshine?

Poster: A snowHead
A promotional email from the Ski Big 3 claims that you can watch northern light at Banff.
Has anyone been able to?
Watching northern light with my own eyes is on my bucket list, and what better way to do it than combining it with my favorite sport.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've been to Banff a few times and never seen them - bear in mind it’s on a similar latitude to Stonehenge, and I’m not convinced the altitude makes up for that. Could be wrong.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@New Daddy, can’t answer the question but having lived in Sweden for 12 years and never seen the northern lights, despite plenty of travel to the north, I’ve come to the conclusion that a Hurtigruten northern lights trip is the best way (not done it though).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen the Northern Lights in Yorkshire and Hamburg. Very lucky both times, quite rare at those latitudes. But by far the best view of the Northern Lights was in Iceland.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes you can, you can notice them often although seeing very bright ones is rather rare. It happens tho. If you travel north the national park you get better chances. Like on the way to jasper. Mainly because is there is no city lights at all around there I guess.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this is my mates picture in lake minnewanka. Just outside banff town
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you head over to Canada to ski, one part of the trip where you have a great chance of seeing the northern lights is on the flight back from Calgary or Vancouver. I've seen them on both my return flights the last two years. Book a seat by the window on the left side....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw them while flying to Calgary on the way to Banff. The plane flies right up by Iceland and Greenland. We had a great view.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Banff is too far south, seen them only 3 or 4 times in northern scotland in my 50 years, once was half decent but not amazing, other times were fairly faint.

Get a little annoyed at the endless facebook posts round here of 'how they were the other night with these images full of bright green', either digitally altered and/or long camera exposures for night shooting embellish what the eye can't even see.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As others have said Banff is possible, but by no means likely as it's too far south.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I guess @New Daddy is asking because we wants to go to a fantastic ski destination while being able to see some lights (I might be wrong).

So my answer would be: yes, maybe Puzzled if you are very very lucky you will see some lights waving in the sky... as other people mentioned it is too far south to be a likely, this means that if you go for a week period chances are you won't see anything. Is not that rare to see very discreet ones though, which is better than nothing I guess, specially if you've never seen them you would be happy (my first time seeing a little bit of a sparkle in the sky I was blown away).

I lived in Banff for two seasons and I got to see decent lights only twice, there is indeed a lot of misleading information and false advertising, and yes everything is filtered ( that happens with almost every single picture of nature these days)

My friend Jayden is from Yellowknife he told me that once he got to see them so bright that it was possible to read a book. He also told me that that only happened once in his 35 years of living in the Yukon (NT actually). I don't know what my point with this story, it is just kind of interesting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcs44 wrote:
If you head over to Canada to ski, one part of the trip where you have a great chance of seeing the northern lights is on the flight back from Calgary or Vancouver. I've seen them on both my return flights the last two years. Book a seat by the window on the left side....

Oh, yes, I had forgotten about that - on one of our (5) ski holidays in Canada they were visible from the plane, but I was asleep, so missed it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aren't Northern Lights strongest around mid/end January?

I adore Banff, but skiing there end of Jan - wrap up well!

Also agree that it probably doesn't help to be reasonably developed, thus you have light pollution from nearby towns.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I adore Banff, but skiing there end of Jan - wrap up well!

I was skiing in sunshine one day, ski patrol told us to go to the Lodge. Because it was getting too cold to the systems that run the chairs to properly work, and too cold for anyone to be outside for that matter. It was -45 °C. haha
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went to Banff a few times, in my ancient padded salopettes, with the usual fleece trousers and thermals underneath, and my 4 layers on top including heavy jacket. Once the instructor said "come on let's get out of the wind down there and let's all keep moving, it's so cold." I couldn't understand how a Canadian instructor could be cold and I wasn't.

Last time I went, it was in my fancy new "race" pants, only room for thermals underneath, same heavy jacket but probably without the thick fleece underneath. One morning it was bitterly cold, I had to hide in a cafe nursing a Large hot chocolate for an hour or more trying to defrost, I love skiing but I really didn't want to leave that room. Temp reading was somewhere around -15C.

Wrap up well Smile
latest report
They are certainly visible around Banff if the conditions are right but you'd have to be lucky and pretty committed to long nights out in the cold! And it helps to learn to understand the science and spot the signs of potential Aurora (spaceweather.com is a good resource to learn) - certainly no guarantees. I haven't seen them in 2 trips to Banff and 1 to Jasper, even with setting alarms through the night to check the stats (and cloud cover!) but my quest continues. I follow a group of Alberta aurora watchers and generally the Aurora has made an appearance as soon as I've got home to blighty rolling eyes ...
Northern Finland offers more likely opportunities but the skiing is just OK
latest report
marcs44 wrote:

So seats on the right going from UK to Calgary and on the left coming back? I’ll remember that when we go next year.
snow conditions
We saw them on Finland ski holiday. Pretty unspectacular - more just a green haze - but nice to have seen all the same.
ski holidays
bambionskiis, No need to worry about the seating going out, as flights to Calgary generally land during the day wink
Its the flight home, when they fly through the night you need to be sat on the left Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Bones wrote:
bambionskiis, No need to worry about the seating going out, as flights to Calgary generally land during the day wink
Its the flight home, when they fly through the night you need to be sat on the left Madeye-Smiley

Fair point bones!! I’m being thick here l know but is that left when stood in the cockpit looking up the aisle? Don’t laugh Very Happy
latest report
bambionskiis wrote:
Bones wrote:

Fair point bones!! I’m being thick here l know but is that left when stood in the cockpit looking up the aisle? Don’t laugh Very Happy

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Nope, left ( port side ) is the other - its as you look to the front of the plane.
Basically you need seats A and B Cool

you sure you've not met my Sig. Other Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Got you thanks.

Sad to say in this sort of thing I conform to my gender stereotype!! Drives my husband mad.
latest report
marcs44 wrote:
I concur, stunning show if skies are clear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy