Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
Up till now, the focus seemed to be just on France applying this closure, but it's also Italy as well and Germany......
Austria wants to buck the trend, but EU leaders are meeting to discuss this and should reveal the verdict in the next week or so....
Personally I'm gutted, but appreciate it's for the greater good in the long term, there's no snow on the horizon for the next couple of weeks anyhow!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KenX wrote:
Up till now, the focus seemed to be just on France applying this closure, but it's also Italy as well and Germany......
Austria wants to buck the trend, but EU leaders are meeting to discuss this and should reveal the verdict in the next week or so....
Personally I'm gutted, but appreciate it's for the greater good in the long term, there's no snow on the horizon for the next couple of weeks anyhow!

another step to federalism if so.. what about other EU countries with skiing? sweden, finland, poland, czechia, etc? I mean isnt that unfair competition?

good job we left
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, they are still arguing about it here in Bavaria, but it looks like it's going to be January earliest Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

EU leaders are meeting to discuss this

Does that include all the great Alpine nations like Belgium and the Netherlands?

I don’t think the EU is involved at all.

Anyhoo, do we need another thread?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BBC article about it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55081476
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Anyhoo, do we need another thread?

It seems to have been focused on France up till now, Italy and Austria are also important countries for the UK's skiers.....
The other threads seem to have degenerated into techie Covid and vaccine rants so would be nice to have a thread with current info for people that are actually interested in where/when they can go on a skiing holiday rather than venting about statistics etc......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, fair enough then. Maybe a more “directed” thread title? snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Suggestions?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From Norway - resorts will open, but with face mask rules (all areas of the resort, except when actually skiing). Some have already opened this week. The bigger places Hemsedal, Trysil etc are not open yet, but will within the next 2 weeks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KenX, could also be worth removing the word 'mid'? Unless I've missed something?

Both Italy and France have said that resorts won't open over Christmas, and Germany have asked the EU to agree to close ski resorts until early Jan. Macron mentioned 20th Jan in his 3 key timelines (which I think is where the mid Jan assumption has come from) but my understanding is that ski resorts sit outside this as he needs to liaise with his European partners for a consensus, and will update again in 10 days after talking with them.

(Don't get me wrong, it still might well end up being mid-Jan!!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@KenX, perhaps something like "European Resort Openings - Current Status/Updates Only! - no chit chat about bat flu" ??
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@KenX, perhaps something like "European Resort Openings - Current Status/Updates Only! - no chit chat about bat flu" ??

+1

tbf it would actually be good to have a thread that sticks to skiing and doesn't decend into a big argument on Covid stats etc etc
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, props to @KenX, I agree, it's a good idea.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are often discussing why resorts close when they do, when there is often some good snow left on perhaps 50% of the slopes. I know it is all about employment contracts but I do wonder if this late start will make them rethink that & stay open as long as they can, especially with Easter being a later Easter this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for me too!
snow conditions
@Jonny996, So now we're talking about closing in spite of the thread title. Didn't take long to drift.@under a new name, +1 big time.
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
We are often discussing why resorts close when they do, when there is often some good snow left on perhaps 50% of the slopes. I know it is all about employment contracts but I do wonder if this late start will make them rethink that & stay open as long as they can, especially with Easter being a later Easter this year.

Is it? Easter is April 4th - earlier than it has been for the past few years..
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Is it? Easter is April 4th - earlier than it has been for the past few years..

I know in parts of Austria and would presume this is similar in other areas that the operations stop and the pistes are cleared to allow the farmers access for livestock farming. I am sure someone on here has a better understanding of the agreements in place and can explain.

There actually was a great video on Youtube where I think it was Saalbach that explained all of this and the maintenance they have to do from day 1.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

But such a thread will still get filled with people's projected hopes, rumours and frustrations. And as we know the hard facts can change on the spot. Resorts don't control their own destiny, nor do regional governments. And on a national level worrying about people's holibobs is low on the agenda.

Unfortunately the crisis is one where lots of things have to align to get individuals an outcome they would like. In the interim you can always pay to stay in CH and ski with 10s of thousands of displaced wannabe skiers from other alpine destinations.
snow report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55081476?fbclid=IwAR2Gw9PkhJWKQdgb1qJ0IZ9Gd18j6LTtvorIyvGGRBBBroQDpRDHQY42yn8

Germany is seeking an agreement with EU countries to keep ski resorts closed until early January, in an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus.

"I will say this openly that it won't be easy, but we will try," Chancellor Angela Merkel said after speaking to Germany's regional leaders on Tuesday.
snow report
Oh turds, dingleberries and anal cysts. Very bad news indeed.
ski holidays
This is the dilemma. Can’t see the Swiss resorts closing without serious financial compensation.

"If Italy decided to shut down all its ski lifts without any support from France, Austria and the other countries, then Italian tourists would risk going abroad and taking the contagion back home," he told La7 TV earlier this week.
Many Italians head for the slopes over the Christmas and New Year break and the period is a vital part of the local economy for ski resorts across Europe.
President Emmanuel Macron made clear on Tuesday that ski resorts in France would stay shut until the New Year.
But Austria has voiced concern over an EU-wide plan, with Finance Minister Gernot Blümel saying that if the EU forced ski areas to remain closed, "then they will have to pay for it". Compensation would run into billions of euros.

Switzerland is not in the European Union and, unlike other Alpine destinations, its ski resorts are already open, so skiers unable to spend their winter breaks in neighbouring countries could head there instead.
Ski lifts are running, with a requirement to wear masks, prompting criticism from World Health Organization (WHO) Covid-19 envoy David Nabarro. "Once infection rates sink, and they will sink, then we can be as free as we want. But right now? Should ski resorts open? Under what conditions?"
latest report
I understand this suggestion comes from countries where skiing is irrelevant (Germany with those two sort of ski resorts, France, where majority of country has nothing do with skiing, Italy where it's same, and where it's actually bonus point if you can scre**wup Sud Tirol population), but I certainly hope Austria won't go for it. With a bit less then 10% of GDP coming directly from skiing, I doubt they would be too happy to close it down, just to make Merkel happy. Personally I think Austria will open after 6.12., and I really wish they will, so my season can finally start (I will get over the border Wink).
latest report
@primoz, Problem with that argument is the area of France where skiing dominates is about the size of Austria and the consequences on The 2 Savoies and others will be similar.

Given the Austrian resorts attracted loads of attention as super spreaders back in Mar they are going to come under pressure or perhaps they'll gang up with CH and just chase the money but reap the consequences later with another national lockdown.

There is a lot of lobbying going on in France to open, but quite a few businesses think it would be worth sacrificing Xmas and NY to ensure the rest of the season operates. The uncertainty created by the chance of a 3rd lockdown would stop a lot of people booking.
snow conditions
Maybe as the country with one of the best Covid stats other countries ought to pay attention to the German logic a bit. It's not what anyone wants but it feels unwise for Austria to welcome all of Europe in given its capacity for healthcare and the past catastrophuck around shutdown in major resorts.

Can see CH in a better position to resist political pressure from elsewhere but who knows if they are doing the right thing. Making themselves the only honeypot in Europe feels a bit risky.
snow conditions
@Pastorius,
Quote:
Very bad news indeed.
Why? @primoz, @BobinCH, have good points.

Although I would argue that as skiing makes up ~€10bn* out of France's ~€80bn tourism GDP and employs ~120,000 people - and that (*) xmas and NY represent ~25% of the winter turnover ... it should be rather more front and present in the government's thinking.

Hearsay, but I heard that a gov minister had been heard saying, "well, they go to the beaches with bars and restaurants closed, who not the mountains? Who needs ski lifts?", thus missing the point entirely.

Although @BobinCH quotes the BBC incorrectly attributing to Macron something he didn't actually say. And goes down their EU rabbit hole.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, totally agree. But for Paris, where this decisions are made, is pretty much irrelevant. I'm not saying it doesn't matter for people living there. I'm sure people in Garmisch are not really happy with this suggestion either. Same goes for Sud Tirol, Savoie etc. But in Austria, pretty much whole country depends on skiing, and pretty much whole country is involved with skiing. In Germany, it's few villages, in France it's one area, while 80% of country doesn't care about skiing. Italy is about same.
But for those people in those areas, where skiing is pretty much only survival thing, it's just as bad regardless if they are in Austria, France or Italy.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
It's not what anyone wants but it feels unwise for Austria to welcome all of Europe in given its capacity for healthcare and the past catastrophuck around shutdown in major resorts.

I'm not sure the proposal actually is to welcome the rest of Europe over Christmas! It's obviously linked due to the economics, but opening lifts doesn't necessarily mean opening (all) borders.

BobinCH wrote:
This is the dilemma. Can’t see the Swiss resorts closing without serious financial compensation.

"If Italy decided to shut down all its ski lifts without any support from France, Austria and the other countries, then Italian tourists would risk going abroad and taking the contagion back home," he told La7 TV earlier this week.

I still don't understand this bit. Italians aren't allowed to travel to Austria (for holidays at least) atm, and there's no reason why Austria opening lifts would change that..?

primoz wrote:
@chocksaway, totally agree. But for Paris, where this decisions are made, is pretty much irrelevant. I'm not saying it doesn't matter for people living there. I'm sure people in Garmisch are not really happy with this suggestion either. Same goes for Sud Tirol, Savoie etc. But in Austria, pretty much whole country depends on skiing, and pretty much whole country is involved with skiing. In Germany, it's few villages, in France it's one area, while 80% of country doesn't care about skiing. Italy is about same.
But for those people in those areas, where skiing is pretty much only survival thing, it's just as bad regardless if they are in Austria, France or Italy.

+1. It's not just the lifts and hotels, it's all the suppliers and manufacturers down the chain too. AND it's one of the most popular sports for much of the population, with (given apes ski os already off the agenda and locals don't stay in hotels and rarely eat in mountain restaurants) one of the safest from a COVID-transmission perspective (large capacity cable cars and funiculars excepted, I guess).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Maybe as the country with one of the best Covid stats other countries ought to pay attention to the German logic a bit. It's not what anyone wants but it feels unwise for Austria to welcome all of Europe in given its capacity for healthcare and the past catastrophuck around shutdown in major resorts.

Can see CH in a better position to resist political pressure from elsewhere but who knows if they are doing the right thing. Making themselves the only honeypot in Europe feels a bit risky.

Is Austria proposing to welcome all and sundry from Europe? It want to get its ski resorts open, but that could mean Austrians only, bring your own food with Hotels and restaurant not yet open until infection rates fall or vaccine available.

Switzerland I think has dropped its quarantine rules from UK & Schengen, although no doubt some may have to quarantine on the way back, so again its not a free for all for foreigners to pile into Swiss ski resorts, who have a reasonably high proportion of locals / Swiss visitors in normal times.
snow conditions
t4tomo wrote:

Switzerland I think has dropped its quarantine rules from UK & Schengen, although no doubt some may have to quarantine on the way back, so again its not a free for all for foreigners to pile into Swiss ski resorts, who have a reasonably high proportion of locals / Swiss visitors in normal times.

The big resorts are full of foreign visitors, especially at Xmas and New Year. And they will party like it’s 1999. I fear it will be a free for all...
snow report
Quote:

a free for all

@BobinCH,

In Switzerland? "free"? nooooo, never, an extremely expensive for all, perhaps... wink
ski holidays
@BobinCH, interesting, is this a rumour or confirmed? we are looking at ski road tripping but the minor "unknown" spots
----
edit: ***sigh*** completely misread @BobinCH, post.....question is, is it confirmed the big Swiss resorts are fully booked for this Xmas and NYE?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 26-11-20 13:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
LittleBullet wrote:
ski road tripping

Had a friend do this once thinking that there was enough snow on the road to ski down, but there wasn't, so he inevitably tripped over wink
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
LittleBullet wrote:
ski road tripping

Had a friend do this once thinking that there was enough snow on the road to ski down, but there wasn't, so he inevitably tripped over wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Pastorius,
Quote:
Very bad news indeed.
Why? @primoz, @BobinCH, have good points.

Oh just me moaning because it puts my trip in jeopardy, nothing more than that
ski holidays
Quote:

Finally a benefit of brexit : as Scottish resorts shall remain open in January wink

All joking aside - skiing itself is not a problem with regards covid.
However travel clearly is.
Thousands of people travelling from all over europe to resort (then back home).
ski holidays
Can I make the remark that there might as well be a decision soon? All this back and forth is just creating a lot of uncertainty. Plenty of people still trying to book or wondering if they're gonna lose money on their original booking, and just in general giving hope where there either shouldn't be any, or should be clear how it works.

All of these resorts that put in the effort to test daily staff, to come up with the right solutions and now they have to suffer the uncertainty of a bunch of figure heads playing a game of "will they/won't they?"

Geez.
snow report
First time posting here. Been reading all the posts regarding the guesswork of wether France will open or not.
Were booked for the 14th March for a week, for what will be our third time skiing in France, but this seems to be looking increasingly unlikely to go ahead. I know it's absolute pure speculation, but do we think that the projected opening in January sometime will be it open for the season, or for a few weeks to allow the French to ski on their half term break and the close again?

Also stupid question, but what does CH stand for?
latest report
@Kevin Loughran, Confoederatio Helvetica

The rest of your question has no definite answers

PS
Welcome to snowHead
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:

Finally a benefit of brexit : as Scottish resorts shall remain open in January wink

All joking aside - skiing itself is not a problem with regards covid.
However travel clearly is.
Thousands of people travelling from all over Europe to resort (then back home).

Travel is, first lift/gondola up for many resorts (until the crowds thin out across the resort) is, crowded hotels are and wild apres ski is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy