Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier for a family?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having a free lift pass for verbier, would it be suitable for a family with 3 weeks experience for the week before xmas. I am limited from booking from a list of accommodations. Any tips inc transfers much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.

Rent car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Train transfer from Geneva Airport is very straighforward. Lovely scenic ride too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the moment the long range forecast looks poor so the trip is on back burner at the moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WASHOUT wrote:
At the moment the long range forecast looks poor so the trip is on back burner at the moment.

Forecast us looking pretty good to us Puzzled

Currently making do with old snow and sunshine. Looks like the snow and cold temps are coming with a vengeance this weekend which should setup December nicely. Shouldn’t be busy the week before Xmas and plenty of options to keep you interested if you can manage a red run.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to encourage @WASHOUT here's a shot of the Savoleyres sector a couple of years ago, pre-Christmas:

and, yes, it was that quiet. Perhaps a little busier in Verbier. As BobInCH says, the forecast is positive. If you want a reliable forecast then go to the Swiss Meterological Office website and enter 'Verbier' into the local forecast or, better, get the official MeteoSwiss app from your appstore. Any other site is just going to be an intermediary that's re-working the MetéoSwiss data anyway, and sometimes not doing that very well.

Train transfer to Verbier from inside Geneva Airport is also very easy, and often less stressful than the usual car hire pickup and return circus. Go to the Swiss travel timetable website SBB and enter from'Genève-Aéroport' to 'Verbier (télécabine)' to see an integrated train/télécabine/PostBus timetable and prices. Look out for supersaver and discounted pre-booked ticket offers. The station is inside the airport complex. You'd normally catch a train bound for Brig and get off at Martigny for the short train hop to Le Chable. The station at Le Chable is in the same building as the télécabine up to central Verbier, and there's also a PostBus as well.

However, if you're arriving late, and/or can't get the discounted train tickets, car hire may be preferable. Make sure your accommodation has parking available because if not, you'll be paying a hefty charge to park in the limited public car parking in Verbier. The best place to start for prices is the Geneva Airport Car Hire landing page. Yu will need a Swiss autoroute vignette and winter tyres and chains. The companies listed n the GVA site are the only ones at the airport, so if you use an intermediary be certain they're not quoting a bargain price by omitting vignette, winters or chains, and/or getting you to pickup/return the car via Ferney Voltaire in France. A pickup at the airport doesn't necessarily exclude a return to Ferney, so be certain of both locations before you click.

Useful apps to download at home before you go are the SBB Mobile train one above, the MeteoSwiss one for weather, and the Geneva Airport one GVApp for useful flight notifications. There's also one for Verbier, Verbier4Vallées which isn't great but is a quick way to display the various webcams on the mountain, which can be useful.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will be a last minute so will keep eye on forecast (cheers for tip with weather app). I tend to avoid Switzerland after I was burned hundred euros for 2x cheese toasties and 2x tins of cola in crans montana but been open and having lift passes it's on the cards for a cheeky pre xmas trip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WASHOUT wrote:
It will be a last minute so will keep eye on forecast (cheers for tip with weather app). I tend to avoid Switzerland after I was burned hundred euros for 2x cheese toasties and 2x tins of cola in crans montana but been open and having lift passes it's on the cards for a cheeky pre xmas trip.

You can avoid that with a bit of local knowledge. Self-service at Olympiques Omelettes, Giant Burgers, saucisses de Veaux 10-15chf (19 with chips), sandwiches 6-8chf, drinks 4-5chf.

Dahu self-service similar with crepes 8-12chf. That’s where our kids go.

For table service, Mayentzet restaurant has (basic) 3 course lunch for 20chf. La Vache or Dahu sit down 23-30chf for big, top quality, oven fired pizzas, wines start at 5chf a glass (1DL), large beer 7-8chf.

Coffee and croissant from the bottom kiosk is 5chf if you missed breakfast.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for that. If we manage to pull it off, I will give you a message for more local info. When I am skiing myself or with friends it is so easy just to wing it but it's a different story with kids (neices).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WASHOUT Looks like it's snowing today (Tues 1.12.20) - see the Webcams

If you find yourself in the Savoleyres ski area: the café in the Savoleyres télécabine station is reasonably priced, self-service, 'mass' catering. The two on-piste café/restaurants of Croix de Coeur (next to the heli/altiport) and Chez Simon are more up-market sit-down places, although we love the eponymous Monsieur Simon's freshly-baked tarte aux pommes and a vin chaud as an afternoon stop. Some people take a lunch break at the La Tzoumaz base andgo to one of the places opposite the télécabine building, like the T-Bar or Le Blanc.

Just a tip with youngsters: we take a snack and drink with us, just in case. Just some fresh bread, smoked meat and cheese. Gives a boost if someone is feeling a bit low on energy, and takes the pressure off if for some reason the café is rammed. If they don't eat it on piste, they'll usually polish it off when they get home.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-12-20 16:56; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LaForet, the tarte aux pommes at Chez Simon is:

The Best In The World
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Whatever is second best is not in contention.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rungsp my daughter introduced me to the appealing Bombardino coffee there, as well (although it's a bit more generic).

I just take an extra cholesterol pill ......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
does anyone know when the nursery slopes open down in verbier les esserts etc as according to the interactive map they are shut at the mo.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajc2260626, Les Esserts could have opened last weekend, but probably not enough snow. Le Rouge won't open before Saturday and the current snowfall probably means all the nursery areas will open then.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy