Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-schedule our flights ? OR book a Swiss resort ?

Poster: A snowHead
I am so confused as to what to do:

We have Easyjet flights booked to Geneva for 21st December, we have a hotel booked in Morzine (no deposit taken as yet), but, as the French ski resorts will not be opening, I am considering the following:

- Re-schedule our flights to February half term
OR
- Book a Swiss resort ie Grindelwald/Wengen/Saas-Fee....as the Swiss resorts seem to be opening in December, but, maybe risky as could change.
My concern is, if for example the Swiss resorts close the opening of ski stations in 2/3 weeks time, the flights for February half term will no longer be affordable.

Many thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I don’t think the situation will be much different in February than now, so I’d try and make a trip happen in December with the current flights. Unfortunately, it’s all a bit of a gamble at the moment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mummytwo, If the inevitable worry about the ever changing situation is going to make you anxious I advise a 3rd option.

Re-schedule flights to Easter
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mummytwo, Have you checked that your Easyjet flight hasn't been cancelled, they seem to be cancelling a lot of flights for December/January at the moment? Maybe worthwhile going into "Manage Your Booking" on the Easyjet website and check the status if you haven't done so recently...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Mummytwo, Have you checked that your Easyjet flight hasn't been cancelled, they seem to be cancelling a lot of flights for December/January at the moment? Maybe worthwhile going into "Manage Your Booking" on the Easyjet website and check the status if you haven't done so recently...

Thank you for your reply - they did re-schedule our outgoing flight (just changed to a later time), so, we do have the option of a voucher or re-scheduling to another flight. If I was to book for February I guess I would have to book a flexi fare to enable me to re-schedule flights etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditch Morzine & rebook Switzerland and go at Xmas. You should be able to find something there with a decent cancellation policy this year. If Switzerland and/or flights tank or then move flights to Easter.

I wish I had flights to Geneva at Xmas, I reckon the slopes will be dead.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you not think if Switzerland is the only place you can ski, every man and his dog will heading there ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thunderer wrote:
Do you not think if Switzerland is the only place you can ski, every man and his dog will heading there ?

Yep if France, Austria and Italy are shut it doesn't hold well for CH even if only localish skiers make the trip let alone the tourist population of Northern Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mummytwo, all bookings are still with a charge of £0 to reschedule outside of 14 days before. At the weekend we made the call to reschedule our Christmas flights to Austria. I have changed to Southampton to Geneva flights for half term. Half expecting to be rescheduling them again.... but fingers are crossed. All other routes would have cost me significantly more that route wasn’t too much extra.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thunderer wrote:

Ordinarily yes but this isn’t ordinary. I reckon most skiers wont ski this year: fear; quarantines after travel; economic uncertainty; and relative expense if Switzerland (albeit a generalisation) is the option, or stay local as best they can (not really an option if here). So if you are determined to go and can get to Switzerland I think it will be quiet compared to a normal Xmas-NY.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the French and/or Italians can get across the border I fear it will be busy. If it’s just Swiss it won’t be
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mummytwo wrote:

My concern is, if for example the Swiss resorts close the opening of ski stations in 2/3 weeks time, the flights for February half term will no longer be affordable.

You're gambling. There's no safe options. The risk of half term being "no longer affordable" is probably the least of the risks you're taking on
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If all close, I would’nt be so sure about CH either.
Pressure might be too high
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The infection rates are reducing slowly in CH but for head of population they are still double that of the UK. Last week the Guardian reported there were very few ICU beds available thanks to covid patients. Only you can weigh up the risks. There are very few policies for health cover and covid, I suspect FCO advice will advice will be against travel to CH for some time longer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look at the Swiss Covid case trends. This wave is so obviously past its peak that any time in December will be ok now. There’s more chance of wave 3 taking out Feb or Easter.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
If the French and/or Italians can get across the border I fear it will be busy. If it’s just Swiss it won’t be
If they do stay open I think there will be restrictions on use, ie residents, hotel guests, season ticket holders etc. Can see people turning up in Chatel FR en masse with the expectation of nipping across the border to Morgins CH for their daily ski. Cant think either FRgov or CHgov will let that happen.
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
If they do stay open I think there will be restrictions on use, ie residents, hotel guests, season ticket holders etc. Can see people turning up in Chatel FR en masse with the expectation of nipping across the border to Morgins CH for their daily ski. Cant think either FRgov or CHgov will let that happen.

Several resorts are already open and there are currently no entry restrictions or quarantine measures in CH. Cases are coming down and Swiss cantons have just announced easing of confinement measures from 14th December in Valais ie restaurants can open again. Vaud is 10th December.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
So if you are determined to go and can get to Switzerland I think it will be quiet compared to a normal Xmas-NY.

I am unconvinced. For example, UK beach resorts had a very busy summer. Many people will go whenever and wherever they can.
latest report
Is there anything in the Italian or French confinement measures stopping Chamoniards coming over the border or similar for Milanese from mid-December?

This us the latest Swiss announcement
https://www.vd.ch/toutes-les-actualites/news/13825i-covid-19-reouverture-des-restaurants-le-10-decembre-dispositif-de-protection-adapte-pour-les-fetes/
snow report
@BobinCH, I haven't been paying huge attention but I don't think so. We're certainly planning on doing so Happy
snow conditions
Check what Merkel has said yesterday: she wants no skiing until January 10., Europe-wide.
That’s not ‘EU-wide’
The Swiss like to think they are independant, but they will follow. They do so 99% of the time.
(Britain will too)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 26-11-20 8:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

It had crossed my mind.......
latest report
I think it’ll depend on where it is in Switzerland. I can see on a nice day if the snow is good Verbier being busier than normal with day-trippers from Geneva, Lausanne etc. who might otherwise have gone into France.
snow report
hold_my_biere wrote:
I think it’ll depend on where it is in Switzerland. I can see on a nice day if the snow is good Verbier being busier than normal with day-trippers from Geneva, Lausanne etc. who might otherwise have gone into France.

If the French and Italians can get across, with all their resorts shut, it will be rammed like you’ve never seen before. This is what happened in March with the Milanese when Italy shut a week before Switzerland. No sign yet that Swiss resorts will close but we’re headed for Armageddon if they stay open and surrounding countries do not.
ski holidays
Quote:

If the French and Italians can get across, with all their resorts shut, it will be rammed like you’ve never seen before. This is what happened in March with the Milanese when Italy shut a week before Switzerland. No sign yet that Swiss resorts will close but we’re headed for Armageddon if they stay open and surrounding countries do not.

Indeed. There's a post on the Chamonix FB group in which someone has deduced that even under the current French lockdown rules, if you reside <20km from the Swiss border you can legally cross and ski in Switzerland.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Check what Merkel has said yesterday: she wants no skiing until January 10., Europe-wide.
That’s not ‘EU-wide’
The Swiss like to think they are independant, but they will follow. They do so 99% of the time.
(Britain will too)

I disagree. From today's BBC comments she "seeks EU deal" to close resorts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55081476

She has no jurisdiction over non-EU countries but I could understand Switzerland shutting for their own safety & overcrowding. Surely Britain will make its own decisions?

If we were still in the EU, I'd offer to take Herr Merkel on a guided tour to explain the subtle (?) differences between UK and EU resorts.
We'll start with a venison burger & cuppa in a windswept Glencoe carpark, then I'll treat her to some flask-flavoured coffee if she carries our skis up to Yad Moss.......
Great days out, but no Ischgl wink
snow report
Assume France, Italy, Germany would have to close their borders to CH to all but essential workers like they did during lockdown 1. Wouldn’t be a good look for the Swiss though, and even more embarrassing if it creates a ski resort cluster Covid outbreak straight after Xmas... I just can’t see people not travelling and celebrating in large numbers at Xmas if the resorts are open.
ski holidays
@Mummytwo, Switzerland will be open. Lots of rental agencies are offering free cancellation, e.g. https://www.wengenapartments.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fighting talk from the President of Canton Valais...

“Closing is simply not an option,” said Christophe Darbellay, president of Valais canton, home to resorts such as Verbier, Crans Montana and Zermatt. “People will be skiiing and eating in our resorts at Christmas.” Restaurants in the canton should be open again by mid-December, Darbellay said.
ski holidays
Mummytwo wrote:

We have Easyjet flights booked to Geneva for 21st December, we have a hotel booked in Morzine (no deposit taken as yet), but, as the French ski resorts will not be opening, I am considering the following:

OR
- Book a Swiss resort ie Grindelwald/Wengen/Saas-Fee....as the Swiss resorts seem to be opening in December, but, maybe risky as could change.

Many thanks in advance.

If you go to Switzerland would you and your family self isolate for 10-14 days when you get back?
snow conditions
Thats the French out of the picture for Swiss skiiing at Xmas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55157175
snow conditions
On the rocks wrote:
Mummytwo wrote:

OR

Many thanks in advance.

If you go to Switzerland would you and your family self isolate for 10-14 days when you get back?

Just 5 days if tested as negative on arrival home e.g. at Gatwick.
snow report
France is closed, Italy is closed. Flying to Geneva in Switzerland anyway - I’d say the least risk is just to switch to a Swiss resort for the same flights. No border crossing complications and the Swiss resorts are just as likely to be open at Xmas as they are in February, maybe more so.
ski holidays
so as Switzerland is the only gig in town for the next 4 weeks does this mean that we can drive through france to get to to or do we have to go belgium / germany etc?
snow report
You can transit France
snow report
In case anyone is still looking for accommodation in Switzerland check out Lovell International Camps Offering B&B style accommodation with ensuite rooms and the option to add ski lessons with extremely competitive rates. https://www.facebook.com/lovellcamps or https://lovellcamps.ch/
ski holidays
At the moment, having looked at the French Embassy and Interior Ministry sites today (3.12.20), I'd say that no, you can't transit through France as part of a holiday, even if you're not staying in France. This may change after 15th Dec.

The last lockdown yes, you could, and in September we did. All we needed were self-completed, standard Déclaration and Attestation statements. But this doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. Unlike in August, I can't seem to find any reference to being allowed to transit the country (other than special cases of essential work or covid support).
ski holidays
A mate came out from the UK to CH by car at the weekend. No one asked him anything
ski holidays
@LaForet, is that the case for all nationalities?

Ps has anywhere got snow? Smile
latest report
Verbier just announced La Chaux (pic below) area opening on Saturday and hopefully more snow this weekend - although a lot more a bit further east by the looks of it (Andermatt / Saas Fee)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy