Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts with more chairs than bubbles

Poster: A snowHead
I guess I am not the first skier to figure the safest way to get a fix of skiing without a dose of covid, is to self drive, via the tunnel and stay in self catering (provided the borders are open).  But cable cars and bubble lifts seem a sure fire way to catch some covid breath, while chairlifts and drag lifts seem a relatively safer bet. Driving to Scotland or heliskiing are two options already rejected
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at this thread:https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127047
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Enolfa Kerr, welcome to SnowHeads.

The vast majority of medium to large ski areas in France, Austria and Italy have more chairlifts and draglifts than gondolas/bubbles/cable cars. Many are difficult or impossible to explore fully without using enclosed lifts occasionally though.

If you prefer to avoid enclosed lifts then a couple of areas in France you might want to consider. Les Sybelles (Maurienne Valley) and Espace Diamant (Les Saisies, Flumet,etc).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, plenty of options there to investigate, I will get googling. Ta muchly!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can see what lifts a resort has here and also pick resorts with certain type of lifts

https://www.skiresort.info/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In general it's only really 'real village' resorts where you're required to use a gondola, as the farmers who would have settled the village originally would have picked somewhere close to their summer pastures but that didn't spend the whole winter snowed in. As a result you should find most purpose build, mountain top resorts - you'll just need to check the piste map to make sure the run you're thinking of taking doesn't end at a bubble.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mjit, Yip go high. Just look at lifts from the villages in Espace Killy (ignoring village lifts)
Tignes Les Brev - Bubble
Tignes Les Boisses - Bubble
Val D'Isere all villages - 2 Bubbles, 1 Train, 1 cable car, 1 big gondola, 1 4 man chair, 1 6 man chair.
Tignes 2100 - 1 Bubble, 1 Train, 1 x 4 man chair, 6 x 6 man chairs (and the Chardonnet emasculator drag!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It'd be useful to know what sort of ski level you're comfortable with, as being able to do the occasional black or more challenging red will increase the choice available to you. Plus how many of you there are skiing, as a group of 4 will obviously get a 4-person gondola to themselves, and perhaps in some locations, a 6-person one.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Just look at lifts from the villages in Espace Killy (ignoring village lifts)
It's possible to cover a big chunk of Espace Killy using only chairs...Though you could be stuck at the bottom of Face on the way back to Tignes from Val D...??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster that is a really useful website, literally a couple of clicks and you have a summary of all the lift types in resort!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LaForet, Just my better half and I, happy on reds and the occasional black.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, Bellvarde Express, across Face to Loyes Express, down Diebold to Tommeuses. But I expect, unlike normally the BE will be v busy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, - good suggestions, I think a plan is coming together!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serre Chevalier can be done all on chairs. The only exception being skiing down or coming up from Briancon.

If we can get away this year, it'll be our destination more than likely. It's been on our hit list for a while anyway.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Small to medium sized resorts in France stand a better chance of being gondola free. Use the "skiresort" filter to limit to 140km or so and you will find dozens of places with only chairs and drags, mostly in Southern Alps and Pyrenees.
These sort of places aren't for everyone but the right sort of 50km resort will do me for a week.
snow report
If you endup in a tram or bubble, open them slidey windows to the max.

Poke yer head or nose out the window.

Fresh air blows away the plague.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
It's possible to cover a big chunk of Espace Killy using only chairs...Though you could be stuck at the bottom of Face on the way back to Tignes from Val D...??

It is possible to go up La Face using 2 chairlifts (Bellevarde Express/Loyes Express) which arrives at the same point as the Olympique gondola.
ski holidays
froomie wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

It is possible to go up La Face using 2 chairlifts (Bellevarde Express/Loyes Express) which arrives at the same point as the Olympique gondola.

But not if the Face is being used for racing.
snow report
Thanks for all the suggestions. At the moment Espace Diamant and Flaine are my front runners as they have relatively short drives from the Tunnel. But February is a long way off, so I will have to see what level of lockdown both UK and France have closer to that time.

A few seasons ago I was chatting to a vet who said they always organised 'Continuing Professional Development' courses that coincidentally were in ski resorts. I wonder if that counts as business travel....
ski holidays
@Enolfa Kerr, I think that has just about come to a stop these days. Jollies are not encouraged in all walks of professional life.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, there's a symposium of doctors in Val each year, Tignes gets the anaesthetic guys, can't remember if they made it last year, but at least one sH will spill the beans wink
ski holidays
La Thuile in Italy is an excellent option. There is a bubble up from the resort, but even that is easily avoided. Other than that, you have around 150 km of pistes, including links over to La Rosiere in France, all on chairlifts or buttons.
snow conditions
Quote:

At the moment Espace Diamant and Flaine are my front runners as they have relatively short drives from the Tunnel.

Bear in mind that the closest Espace Diamant base to Geneva (Praz sur Arly) is also quite low. But it does have the advantage of a fast chair to the top, from whence good access to the rest of the area and generally much shorter queues than Les Saisies. There is also a big free car park at the base of the lifts, so if you have a car you can find cheaper accommodation a little way from the "front de neige". There's also a picnic room in the car park (or was, I've not been there for a few years) which might be a good spot for eating your own lunches. In French resorts at half term the mountain restaurants (there are couple of lovely ones in Pras s Arly) will tend to be very crowded. That's why lunch time is the best time to ski....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy