Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ireland Snow Conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Unfortunately the lack of any serious elevation and our maritime climate means we don't get much snow in Ireland. In saying that, the odd cold winter (2010) does deliver the goods. My farm is at 40m amsl and I have managed to ski here a few years. My preferred spot is Slieveanorra, a 500m hill in the Antrim Plateau which has good road access and I can normally get up there a few times a winter for some skiing/ sledging with the kids.

First chill of winter this evening and we may get a light sprinkling over the tops of the Sperrins.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This may be the most optimistic thread on snowheads, but I nonetheless await with bated breath!

I did sledge down Djouce one year, it was great craic and there was proper skiing to be done for sure, but that was like, maybe one in 6 in terms of the amount of snow?

Very tempted to pick up a pair of cheap second hand touring skis for the fun just in case

Hoping to cycle the Sperrins at some point I believe they're pretty and underrated
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@8611, Yes, it is optimistic, but experience has shown me if you know where to look, you can find (deep) snow in most winters. 2009/2010 was amazing with probably 30 days of snow on my farm. With no Alpine skiing this winter I want to make the most of what is on my doorstep, even if it means hiking in!

Yes, the Sperrins are beautiful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was up the Mournes one year with snow too and it was class, I think there's videos of lads skiing Donard on Youtube. Seriously steep there so if there was enough snow it could be pretty dramatic

Edit: there are loads - google skiing mournes, and they look good

http://youtube.com/v/AFWS3R1ZFlw
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As good as anywhere with that light
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That doggy loved it too Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@8611, Great video. Took a drive through the Sperrins yesterday and walked to the summit of Mullaghcarn (541m). 2 C at the top, but not even a dusting yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well you've got me thinking and I'm now in process of sourcing a cheap pair of second hand skis so update if any developments. No point holding our breath unfortunately.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing with dogs - not without it's issues !

I'd love to ski the Irish back country, but may have to make do with the Shropshire Hills instead. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, great video. I've skied Dublin/Wicklow mountains in right conditions. Kippure, the highest point in Co Dublin at 750m can have snow loaded in gullies although a bit of a hike in. Tonlagee on the Wicklow Gap near Glendalough in Co Wicklow is much more accessible with road to about 450m that is normally ploughed and hill to over 800m. Have had some decent runs on steeper west side of this hill the last few snowy periods.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Deadly. There's an amazing video of some really good powder skiing somewhere near Luggala on line too.

Can I ask, do you use skins or just hike up, and if you hike do you do it in ski boots or hiking boots and carry the skis? I assume the return is very small for the amount of effort of climbing, but probably still worth it for the novelty / fitness?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...and no 14 day quaranteen coming back to UK. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy