Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maximum Edge Angle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does maximum edge angle coincide with maximum pressure? I guess it should, which is why I thought it was just after the fall line?? Probably me engaging and releasing the edges too late! Geeky but interesting and it's thinking about small increments in things like this which will deliver improvements. Also, not having to concentrate on loads of different things is more enjoyable.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coming to this more from a mechanics than a ski instructor perspective (as I'm not a ski instructor), I'd equate maximum edge angle with maximum pressure, assuming you're making the ski carve. Though as a pedant I'd say maximum force rather than pressure. That said, I'm happy for anyone to tell me otherwise
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see edge angle and pressure as independent. I'm trying to keep the pressure that I apply to the skis fairly constant until I get to the apex of the turn in the fall line, reduce pressure after that to avoid the skis juddering.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, curious, pressure modulates only as function of gravity and acceleration, in long quasi static turns, how do you control it other then by edge angle changes?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, agreed... but you need to be skilful to apply that.
@viv, That is usually the case but as rjs says not always, force vs pressure could be a whole nother nerdy thread Wink
@under a new name, by flexing/extending the joints, think bump skiing..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
I see edge angle and pressure as independent. I'm trying to keep the pressure that I apply to the skis fairly constant until I get to the apex of the turn in the fall line, reduce pressure after that to avoid the skis juddering.
Yes, they can be managed independently to a certain extent, but there is still a relationship between turn radius (which is is part determined by edge angle) and the forces being generated. So we can absorb excess pressure after the fall line by using our natural suspension, but there are limits to this.

This circles back to my point about the skill of the skier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimottaret, but my point is that that's either very subtle (which is fine but nuanced) or transient. And definitely not a skill demonstrated by your average skier. (Actually, neither is knowing what edges do, I guess).

Oh, I see, reading on, what @rob@rar, said.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, modulating pressure is certainly very subtle and skillful
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skimottaret, doh! re-reading @rjs, comment (sorree!) now I see what @rjs, means. [/dimwit] In my defence, I was thinking really, really long turns ... SG stylee ... not entirely sure why I fixated on that Puzzled my bad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, the best SG skiers tend to be the best at pressure control Wink when training GS we sometimes set SG radius (w/o jumps) to get used to speed and to give yourself more time to manage pressure and edge..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on the terrain but you could be holding max edge angle for about 50+% of the turn in some cases
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
Do you "finish" the turn by having max edge angles? Cant speak for other instructors but I teach tipping the skis early to start the turn, increasing edge angle till the fall line and then releasing and flattening the skis by projecting the hip along the line of momentum to set up and transition into a new turn.

The confusion could be that intermediates/early advanced skiers never really find grip/edge angle in the fall line, let alone above it so instructors incorrectly (IMV) talk about "finishing" the turn by trying to find some grip.. In that case I usually talk about "rounding" the turn off but focus on trying to find edges earlier to start the turn earlier and get the hard work done above the fall line...

As one progresses the skier finds edge and grip earlier and earlier in the turn..

It's interesting to contrast how snowboarding is taught, where a beginner starts with edge which then flattens in the fall line as they transition from edge to edge. As they progress that changes along with the transition point.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy