Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The stairs as a Piste

Have you ever consider a flight of stairs to be a plausible piste?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 36 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Unable to cope with binary responses
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Voted : 55
Total Votes : 55

Poster: A snowHead
I just have this inkling that most snowHeads have cast an eye at their staircase as a potential 'route'... snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a 'no', despite living in a three-story house. However, the road my office is on would make a splendid red run in the right conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=15389 answer your question? Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately there is a wall about 4 feet from the bottom of my stairs, but the very steep road around the corner is a definate possibility
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unfortunately our staircase is unacceptable for this proposition, being only 3 with a sharp left hand 90-degree angle, followed by another 4. Although we did consider planning application for a dry ski slope in our garden. NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stairs hmmmm....

There is a film with Guillaume Depardieu (son of) called les Apprentis where Guillaume skis the flight of stairs in their Paris appartment - worth watching just for that. Guillaume, who did the stunt himself due to lack of budget, has since lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. The main problem, in my limited experiences, is that once engaged in the staircase you have to ride it to the end as you cannot turn and you pick up speed very quickly. Not good unless you have some kind of run-out.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sharkymark, I wanted to see if it was a more general 'problem', I know I've thought it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unfortunately our staircase goes round many times (6 floors up), so muliple wall events would mark the descent. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good to see the vote thingy is working again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've watched a ski instructor ski down the entire 3 flights of metal steps outside the Maison du Ski in La Rosiere. Produced a fantastic display of sparks as the edges were worn down to virtually nothing. (They were an ex-rental pair of skis destined for the bin BTW).

/WiRED
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have considered it but decided against. However as a child I saw a comic turn done by some ski teachers in a hotel in Lech. They pretended to be a ski class with representatives of several nationalities and skied down a wide flight of stairs onto the dance floor. The chief buffoon was the "English" skier who had tiny skis and enormously long sticks. Of course he fell and had to have a "broken" leg splinted.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
xx

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 4-05-06 14:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw someone (an Austrian I think) ski down some concrete stairs in Saalbach this year. Lots of sparks!! We made him do it 3 times and fortunately he didn't fall once.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not on skis but I did use my own stairs as a 'toboggan' run using a camping mat. Several of us tried it and all went swimmingly until we tried two people on the same 'toboggan'. This resulted in a broken foot for me.
Before you ask, beer was involved. However, the planning was carried out when sober Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just for a change, I saw a French guy ski UP a flight of about 6 - 8 steps outside a bar in Les Saisies. He got enough speed up down the pavement (illegal, and dodging pedestrians) to get very noisily up the stairs and stop right outside the bar. It was quite impressive but I tried not to look impressed because he was obviously a plonker.
snow conditions
Two words: Rental Skis Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Two words: Rental Skis Laughing

Are you swearing to yourself?
snow conditions
Yes, I've skiied the "Grand Marlborough Gardens Coulior."

Funnily enough it was a Friday night at about 1 in the morning, conditions weren't good but I did ski it responsibly with a guide (my equally drunk brother). I remember it being a very narrow chute with little space to stop. It was the sort of run that you do once and once only!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson,

Quote:
TRY THIS AT HOME: Stand side on to the stairs, look down and imagine it is a run and you are about to turn works best in a Victorian terrace with v steep stairs, but probably a buzz anywhere!

Yup ~ most mornings!!!!!!

My skis are still leaning up the stairs as I just haven't got the heart to put them away yet (and keep giving them a little pat as I go by Embarassed )...

However, I have managed to resist temptation of actually attempting the double black diamond that is my stairs on skis... I can just feel the pain.

An alternative is stair-diving [similar to tobogganing but head first and on your front] ~ you must first drink far too much with like-minded mates and then think it would be a great laugh to launch yourself head first from the top stair. It works best where you have a reasonable run off, but is particularly challenging where a glass front door is only a metre or so from the bottom of the stairs.

The best is "combo stair-diving" if you can persuade a bloke to be the 'sled' ~ you get all the fun and excitement of the dive without the excruciating carpet burns Cool Twisted Evil
He has to be really really p!ssed to think a second run is a good idea, though.

However, be warned, if you have rather nice widely-spaced wooden spindles on your staircase you may lose one or two as the evening progresses ~ all in the name of sport, though, so that's OK Very Happy
ski holidays
I considered it as a child but not in recent years
snow conditions
I had this topic covered as long ago as early 2005.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=123412&highlight=stairs+competition#123412
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=234498&highlight=stairs+competition#234498

Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa, Ah the best ones always come round again!

Annehillskiing, Yes, have to admit it was probably, ooh, at least 5 years ago I last attempted it ~ but only last June when my mate's newly done spindles were wrecked by some lads (read men) re-living their youth ~ who really should have known better and attempt to hold down quite sensible, 'proper' jobs when they are not stair diving... rolling eyes
snow report
Scarpa, but I'm collecting hard data, which could be used as a random filler on the BBC or some other well regarded news channel. wink

"Researchers at global ski community, snowHeads, have discovered - through painstaking and difficult research..."
snow report
I personally haven't but manage to stop my son sledging down them Shocked when the snow had disappeared this year.
snow conditions
SkiBod wrote:
, An alternative is stair-diving [similar to tobogganing but head first and on your front]
Now that would bring back some EOSB memories! rolling eyes (And it's a victorian terrace too)
For the complete effect, I would then need to stand in the kitchen and have a scouser run into me from the living room Very Happy
snow conditions
Jerry, bitch Wink
snow report
Charlatanefc, But now you're a legend mate! Very Happy Don'tcha love it, it's like being back in the bar Laughing
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, Jerry,

I know it's mean, but every time I think of that I just can't help laughing to myself ~ got a bit of an odd look on the bus today as I chortled away at the memory of the Human Skittle Team in full technicolour action, complete with chuffing-heck-me-duck-fookin-whippets-up-my-ferret-b"gger-me-sideways-with-coal-scuttle-tut-tut-boogger-iiiittttt!!!!!! sound effects!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiBod, pity no-one was taking a vid at the time Wink
snow conditions
SkiBod wrote:
chuffing-heck-me-duck-fookin-whippets-up-my-ferret-b"gger-me-sideways-with-coal-scuttle
That's a good night out in Barnsley... Laughing
snow report
Try and get that line on a T-shirt and you'll be a babe magnet.
ski holidays
"be" ?? wink
snow conditions
If anyone's ever been to Portsmouth and seen the Guildhall... we used to use the steps as a toboggan run, using bread-trays nicked from round the back of the guildhall... until one of my mates hit one of the bins in the square and broke his leg ! Owch, big big owch ! Shocked
snow conditions
austin7, My brother and I used to do something similar with tea-trays when we were little but it was a bit of a sod getting round the bend halfway down rolling eyes
snow report
Linds wrote:
...when we were little...

ahem
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, snigger Wink
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, and I thought you were a nice bloke, your just as bad as FenlandSkier, rolling eyes
latest report
Toofy Grin
snow report
Linds, sorry dearie. Just leave me in the mist next time you find me tired and lost Wink
snow report
Charlatanefc, As if I would do such a thing to you Little Angel Now if it was FenlandSkier, that would be a different matter rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy