Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 Adaptive

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm interested to know if anyone on here has completed or attempted the above course and how they found it.

Is it something that needs training in advance or can you just turn up and get on with it?

Apparently it's possible to go straight to adaptive 2 if you've already done another level 2 course, is that correct?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-11-20 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boobleblooble, note that BASI have cancelled all the indoor L1 indoor (and there were non scheduled on dry slopes) courses that they were going to run for the moment due the incompatibility with social distancing.

You can go straight to the L2 if you already hold another L2 qualification not just attended the course.

I started the L1 last year, but could not complete after I suffered a serious accident coincidental with the course. What I did was very good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boobleblooble, excellent course and well worth doing for your second discipline, you will learn a lot of useful teaching strategies useful for general ski teaching. Get the manual beforehand as a lot to digest. beef up your quads before the course as snowploughing with a sit ski can take it out of you !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you everyone, that's helpful. What did you do to prepare though, or is being a BASI 2 alpine enough to turn up on day one and pass?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, good course. On my course there were some people who had done some adaptive training/ volunteering before, and some people who had never even seen the equipment before. Some people with alpine quals and some with none. Some people who had learned the booklet inside out and some who hadn't even opened it. Those that found the course toughest were those that turned up cold without having done any of those things. With L2 alpine under your belt, and if you do learn the booklet you should be in a good place even without adaptive experience. The bi-ski stuff (esp fixed riggers) is probably the most difficult to learn) I don't think any alpine L2 would find the stand up skiing (with tethers) challenging.
I considered the L2 adaptive direct entry, but to learn 6 disciplines in 10 days from a standing start with the expense of being in resort seemed a step too far. If you're specifically doing it just for L3 2nd discipline then you might not want to shell out on a two week course that you could come away with nothing from.
I made flashcards using Anki for the disabilities in the book,and found that really helped me. You don't need the stress of learning that in the exam week!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tubaski, thanks that's very helpful. As regards L2 adaptive: yes it means two weeks in the Alps when I'd rather be doing my own skiing and more expensive too. I'd rather just do it in a dome over the summer and have it over with.

@skimottaret, I've had a play with one of the toboggans that the pisteurs use and that was hard enough! Thanks for the warning.

@Ski lots, thanks that's reassuring. I doubt I'll use it that much if at all, but doing something for a disability charity for a warm, fuzzy feeling might be nice.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy