Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what would you do? (advice on cancellation)

Poster: A snowHead
as it stands I have a hotel booked through booking.com for mid January 2021, there is free cancellation until November 15th and from the 15th November until December 15th I lose 50% of my money if I cancel

Do I cancel now and then hopefully re-book the same hotel at the last minute?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSki wrote:
as it stands I have a hotel booked through booking.com for mid January 2021, there is free cancellation until November 15th and from the 15th November until December 15th I lose 50% of my money if I cancel

Sadly I would be very inclined to cancel. Then go last minute if allowed. Even in normal years mid Jan is very low season
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NewSki, What @NickyJ typed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSki wrote:

Cancelling and re-booking a few days (as late as possible) before travel is the only sensible way to ski this winter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cancel. When you do pay. Pay by credit card. You are far better protected
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NewSki, certainly, cancel now and if the ski season opens for mid January re-book. Best wait to see exactly what is going to happen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had to cancel by 1st November for full refund and did just that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cancel.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cancel, and then email/call the hotel direct and see what their COVID terms are. Many hotels these days are offering very generous terms, even up to full cancellation and refund the day the booking starts; or a pro rata refund if you have to stop your holiday early.

And they may well agree to match the price online, or even better it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd play it safe and cancel, if it's the only element you booked. Too many downside risks this season to plan anything in advance.

Do you have any other bookings related to this trip...flights, transfers, car hire, channel crossings, etc?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote to cancel, unfortunately for resorts I can't see any shortage of accommodation this season. We have cancelled our NY trip
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cancel. There will be a glut of accommodation in January.

Even with a Euro wide vaccine (March at the earliest IMHO for non key workers in good health). Plus a lot of skiers around Europe won't be able to afford it having been on reduced pay.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would cancel. Then book directly with the hotel or through a UK tour op in January. you could also try contacting the hotel now and find out their terms if you were to book through them. Eg. they might have a better cancellation policy than booking.com.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hold it and hope!

...nah, just kidding.
ski holidays
Quote:

Imho, it's not worth risking. Either find a location that allows you to do last minute cancellations (think 3 days in advance, or even the day before) or just go ahead and book last minute. I doubt things will be at full capacity even in peak season - plenty of people that will want to stay home or will want to "wait and see".

My trip this week got torpedoed by the light lockdown in Austria. There was a gentleman renting out an apt on Airbnb, and he had similar rules for the cancellation - 100% refund, 50% x days before (it was a 2-weeks before booking). I ask him "What if they announce a lockdown the day before I arrive, will I be able to cancel?". His answer was "of course, but don't worry, everything will stay open". Now here's the kicker - if you read Airbnb's rules, the advertised form of cancellation takes precedence even if you're surprised by a lockdown. So the guy had no reason to refund me, so he was just baiting me into a booking. (By comparison, another owner told me to wait until the last minute so I'm safe)

Point of that story is: plenty of people looking to make money off these changing rules and then shrugging their shoulders if something goes wrong. Take care of yourself, and be cautious with your own money, cause nobody else will be.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy