Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Innsbruck avoiding France (other than Coquelles/ Calais)

Poster: A snowHead
Do any snowHead have tried and tested routes for driving to Innsbruck from the Channel Tunnel but avoiding France as much as possible - Belgium- Luxembourg - Germany - Innsbruck, looks doable but does anyone have routes and a stopover to recommend on the outward journey probably just after Stuttgart and on the return possibly around Charleroi (depending on route recommended)? With thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have often stayed at the best western just off the eastern end turning for Pforzeim. Then it would be about five hours to Innsbruck from there. Best Western Queens Hotel Pforzheim-Niefern

We always do Dunkerque, Namur, Lux, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart

On the return leg, weve stayed at Ypres a couple of times. A little further, but good for an early start the next day

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 28-10-20 17:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowsartre, Normally I would recommend going via Luxembourg and Bregenz but at the moment going up to Aachen is probably better as closer to Calais. Some people here have done the Luxembourg route and stayed near Saarbrücken on the way home to keep to the UK regs. However Germany is going to be pretty much closed for any sort of leisure travel at least until the end of November which would preclude you staying in a hotel or similar. Unless things change driving via Germany for leisure purposes is not going to be possible for the time being.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, thank you - hope to be travelling at Easter so things may be more fluid in Germany at that time...... maybe..!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, as per what @jafa, said and took previous advice from @munich_irish, so info is all good. Eurotunnel Calais - Lille - Namur - Luxembourg - Saarbrucken - Pirmasens, stopped in a Ibis Styles in Ettlingen which is a lovely German town with some great buildings and a fine Brewery !
A8 down to Munich and then a choice of Garmisch and drop down into Innsbruck or taking the Autobahn to Kufstein and onwards.
Try to avoid a Friday as the A8 is horrendous, and is no better on a Saturday.

Did the return and there is another reasonably priced Ibis Budget near the airport at Charleroi, easy to get to off the Motorway. Also stayed in a few Ibis's around Lille (as you can see we think Ibis Hotels are good!)

Don't forget to get your coffee (Beans & Powder) which is cheaper in Luxembourg and cheaper fuel (last time we went Jan 2020, it was 87cents per litre for diesel)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, assuming the whole situation has improved then yes I would suggest going via Luxembourg the drive is easier and cheap petrol (& coffee for some odd reason). The best place to stop for petrol are the places at Schengen just before the bridge over the Moselle crossing into Germany (no queues unlike the services on the motorways and generally more pleasant). Various routes from then, I would say go via the B10 between Pirmasens & Landau (not autobahn, deliberately not well signed and, I guess, not favoured by sat navs) as it is quicker. Also head for Bregenz and the Arlberg rather than Munich & Kufstein, dont be distracted by suggestions of the Fernpass. I would say it is perfectly doable in a days drive but know that does not work for everyone.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Driving through Germany may be a lot more difficult as Germany is to introduce a one-month partial lockdown from Monday November 2nd. Amongst the changes of significance for any people considering travelling to/through Germany:

Restaurants and bars will close, except for take-away
Large events will be canceled again
Unnecessary travel is discouraged
and of particular importance: Overnight stays in hotels, except for in emergency situations, is banned
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We live in Brussels so do Brussels - Luxembourg - Stuttgart (overnight) - Ulm - Munich - Achenkirk - Innsbruck. Cheap fuel in Luxembourg...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowsartre, Our COVID route is the same as @Simon94, we also stay at the Ibis Styles Karlsruhe/Ettlingen and eat at the hotel as it's convenient an you can eat till late (depending on the current rules) will make more effort to explore the brewery next time Very Happy

Our return we stopped in Saarbrucken, Hotel Am Triller, it's a suburban location but a nice hotel and they brew their own delicious beer, friends stayed at the Mercure Sud and weren't too impressed.

We did Saarbrucken to the tunnel, without a toilet stop only stopping to change drivers so as to comply with the UK transit rules, as Austria wasn't on the quarantine list and Belgium and France are.

As others have commented things are changing at the moment who knows what it will be like by Easter
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is the reason for avoiding France going to Austria?? Two regions are on the red list: - https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Travellers from the following "safe countries" do not need to show a negative COVID-19 test or commit to quarantine: Belgium, France (except Île-de-France (Paris), Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur), Germany......Luxembourg...

I was looking at UK to Hintertux via Tunnel at end Nov. German advice was well contorted with no mention of stay in Germany after non stop crossing of FR A25, into BE and then Lux. Only 3rd country transits across Germany as quickly as possible. After a query, I received an email with lots of departments to contact and wouldn't answer the question. Sent a further email asking for clarification - no reply yet.
No wonder people aren't bothering to follow the rules.
My plan was to stop in Lux at Bivange after fuelling at Berchem, and then cross Germany in one go into Austria.
So as stopping in D has been overtaken by lock down events, I would still do that.
Then on 30 Nov to VdI, but that has just been scuppered till at least 1 Dec.
Sit and wait. Next 2 weeks will be telling.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowsartre Just checking youknow what French documentation you need to complete for transit through France? It's all listed on the thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4655074&highlight=#4655074

The caveat is the usual one that the list may change by the time you travel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just finished 14 day weekend after coming back from France after 2 months on our barge. Just brilliant. No C19 where we were bimbling about, good French lunches and proper discipline. €135 fine, then remind you!! None of Boris' whiff whaff piffle poffle!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurdy,
Quote:

Munich - Achenkirk - Innsbruck

Not easier to go Ulm Memmingen, Bregenz, IBK rather than hitting MUC traffic and then off-piste via Achenkirch to IBK? We normally just batter it down the Rhine, from Brussels east to Aachen/ Koeln and go Stuttgart Ulm Bregenz. Your route looks good. Do you go via Namur or Liege, then down to Saarbruecken via Lux, and onto Stuttgart? Belgian roads OK? I normally try to get off them asap.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurdy, we do sometimes use the Achenpass as it is the shortest way between the east of Munich (where the A99 ring road runs) and the Inntal. However it is very time of day dependent, basically you need to be through the Tegernsee area before 07:00 otherwise it just gets clogged up with the usual town traffic (far worse at weekends and other peak times for visitors), once you get past the towns at the south end of the lake the road is generally clear all the way to the autobahn junction at the head of the Zillertal. Much better than the Fernpass route which is regularly a slow moving (stopped in bad weather) queue of traffic. Also best option on peak summer weekends when the autobahn is solid all the way from Munich to points east and south, just means leaving home shortly after 05:00!

@colinstone, all leisure travel is being discouraged in Germany, it will not be possible to stay in hotels except in an emergency. Yes you could transit across the country but pretty much all the neighbouring countries have similar restrictions. If you do decide to drive anyway, the petrol stations at Schengen (directly opposite the exits) are a better option than the services on the motorway (possibly a bit cheaper too). However it now seems likely that the Austrian ski lifts will be shut in November, announcement due this weekend. Looks like Verbier or Zermatt might be only real options (no quarantine either from UK in Switzerland)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We go via the Achenpass enroute to Achenkirk or Buchau. There are two Kinderhotels we have used. Innsbruck is just a short drive. This year we are off to the Pitzal so will be going a different route.
latest report
Petrol in Lux is same every where - by law. Used to go off autoroute but now don't bother.
I know Germany emergency only, hence my comment "So as stopping in D has been overtaken by lock down events,....."

10 days Q in Switzerland from UK until yesterday - now off list!!! I was planning 10 days Q when I arrive Lauterbrunnen 31 Dec and discussing with Landlady.

This is what the old list looked like:

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20201948/index.html

UK at the bottom.

Ho hum. Looks like my traditional 2-3 weeks pre Christmas ski will be off. More time to crack car sim racing and money to spend on bits!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-10-20 19:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
colinstone wrote:
Petrol in Lux is same every where - by law. Used to go off autoroute but now don't bother.

I wasn't aware of that! So there's the same fixed price everywhere in Luxembourg for a given grade of fuel e.g 95 Octane?
ski holidays
Yup.
ski holidays
@colinstone, Thanks for that, like you I'd previously turned off the motorway in Luxembourg to go to a local filling station assuming the prices would be cheaper there than on the motorway, from what you say I needn't bother doing that and can just use one of the motorway filling stations. Smile
snow report
@colinstone, not looking to travel to Innsbruck until April so hoping things may be a little less locked down by then. I am looking to avoid paying the French péages an arm and a leg to sit in queues for hours hence my question. I remember the ski trip coaches used to always refuel in Luxembourg back in the days before I could do independent travel!

@LaForet, thanks for sharing the link to the bureaucratie how I miss it!

And general thanks to everyone for the detailed routes, should be a blast!
snow report
Quote:

I am looking to avoid paying the French péages an arm and a leg to sit in queues for hours hence my question.

Tricky to do both. The big queues are in Germany and around the Brussels ring road. Paying the tolls only saves you from Belgium.
ski holidays
@johnE, I think the queues are inevitable I just hate paying to park!
latest report
@Hurdy, can you come back to me re my question above pls?
snow report
@johnE, The autoroute between Calais and Lille is free, you don't need to go near Brussels.
snow report
And to BE border - A25/A21. But a dog leg up to Dunkirk to get on A25. Extra 20 mins. €7.50 for the A26 to Lens. Go to Douai on A21 a lot - barge there!!
snow conditions
Travelling west to east the last motorway services in Luxembourg are at Berchem, it's another 20 minutes only to Schengen. Peeling off the motorway for Schengen gives three different filling stations (with shops!) just across from the traffic lights. They are a pleasure to visit with very few trucks (even if the fuel price is the same as at the motorway services).

However, it's a bit like "use the Fern Pass" or "do not use the Fern Pass" - everyone has their own preferences. I've only had one bad experience using the Fern Pass route and that was whist the new road around Heiterwang was being built - horrendous queues!
latest report
Have done it for the last few years.. I usually go via Lille down to Lux.. Did an overnight in Pirmasens and then onwards.. The Fern Pass can be difficult but I have found it quicker via Munich and Garmisch this misses the Austrian road toll
snow conditions
If you go via Lille there are no tolls on the Autoroute (lots of speed cameras around Lille). Lille can get busy but I dont believe anything like the Brussels ring road.

Perhaps it is different in the summer but I found the queues at the services on the Luxembourg autoroutes pretty boring, overflowing with mainly Dutch folk, then equally long queues for the toilets etc, Schengen much quicker and generally more pleasant (assumes driving into Germany not France).

As to the Fernpass I used to use it regularly (via Garmisch) on way to and from the Arlberg & Ischgl and got fed up with the number of times stuck in queues and a couple of times blocked by a snow storm. In recent years when I have driven on the odd occasion (prefer the train these days) I have gone via the Inntal autobahn, longer but most times quicker. Used to avoid paying the vignette by coming off at either Pettneu or Landeck West to avoid the police/camera van at the St Anton/Paznauntal exits which really is not advised as the fine is not cheap!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria has put parts of the UK back onto the high risk list (as of 00.00 on 31st October) requiring that on arrival in Austria a negative PCR test must be presented, less than 72 hours old, or 10 day quarantine to be started, and covid test to be taken within 48 hours, and if negative, quarantine can end. The parts of the UK currently on the high risk list are North East, East Midlands, Yorkshire and Humber. https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/reiseplanung/coronavirus-reiseinfos-36904404#einreise-oesterreich-37426960

latest report

latest report
Quote:

I think the queues are inevitable I just hate paying to park!

The German motorways are free as is the Fern Pass.
ski holidays
I always go A16 from Calais onto the A18 and A10 in Belgium (E40) as far as the Brussells ring road, and then turn south onto the Ring Road (RO) (E19) until the junction with the RO (the junction after junction 22), turning left towards Waterloo. Continue to junction 26 with the N5, turning south to the N25, turning east to the A4 (E411) and head south to Luxembourg. Most jams on the Ring Road are on the northern section around passed the Airport and going the above way avoids all these (although it's always worth checking with Google maps as you approach Brussels as it may be that the northern route is moving fast). The French alternative is A16, A25, A27, into Belgium continuing as the A8, A16 and A15, and then right onto the A4 (E411) towards Luxembourg. Both routes are toll free. Again, I would always check each route whilst on the train through the tunnel/ferry and see what times Google gives.
snow conditions
Most jams on the Brussels ring road are indeed around the airport as you have three major motorways linking the south, east and north of the country hitting the ring road within about 5 miles of each other.
snow conditions
Dover
Calais
Bruxelles
Aachen
Wurzberg <----- Possible stopover.
Nurenburg
Munchen
Worgl
Innsbruck
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy