Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
Claude B wrote:
But when France is in lockdown I can't go further than 1km for 1 hour. Not in lockdown atm but 6 to 6 curfew.

None of this night skiing miles from home which we see in Scotland doing at the moment. A 6pm curfew certainly means you have to think about being back at home in time. Also more discipline about wearing masks than the English have shown.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dunc999 wrote:
I do wonder if any enterprising locals with a skidoo are offering lifts up the mountain?

I saw a video of a piste basher dragging two ropes, with about 50 people hanging off each, up a slope recently!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, Personal observation, but I've seen very few people not wearing masks since well before Xmas. Was a reluctance initially but last time in local big Tesco I saw no-one unmasked. Back in October it would have been 15-20 people
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boris, but that's indoors, presumably, not in the street?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But in France it's outside too. In Isère in any town with a population of more than 5K.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 16-02-21 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, Yes indoors - hard to make a like for like comparison for compliance outdoors, as there is no legal requirement to wear masks outdoors in UK (unless I've missed it!!!)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
French boomers are demanding a "vaccination passport" so they can get back to their lives of whooping it up in restaurants, cruises, holidays, dogging sessions etc. Not much solidarity with those less concerned with the virus who've been locked down and denied their downhill skiing and gone to the back of the queue for vaccinations and who actually pay the boomers pensions.

At the same time I guess you want to get on with life in later years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dunc999 wrote:
I do wonder if any enterprising locals with a skidoo are offering lifts up the mountain?

Certainly on sunday there was a skidoo at the top of the second bettex car and quite a few kids there, would have been a fair effort for them to get up there
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Claude B wrote:
But when France is in lockdown I can't go further than 1km for 1 hour. Not in lockdown atm but 6 to 6 curfew.

None of this night skiing miles from home which we see in Scotland doing at the moment. A 6pm curfew certainly means you have to think about being back at home in time. Also more discipline about wearing masks than the English have shown.

Eh?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, so there I was, me and the dogs atop La Gardiole at 2,753m yesterday, and the whole sector devoid of people, except for these four "young" ski tourers slowly making the way up to the summit and on arrival they were four Brits over from your neck of the woods, all living there, one an instructor with his Mrs, for an Intl Ski school been there 7-8yrs not too sure about the other two, not a couple as she said her hubby was back in LDA.

They were all blown away but how empty it all was, and quite surprised too, to meet a Brit of a certain vintage with two Jacks Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah Alex (female instructor, hubby french pisteur), Ian, (instructor), Stine and Paul. I saw on FB they'd been over there. All doing a lot of touring atm.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Claude B, we were talking about GoPro Max 360 cameras and they'd just bought some or were going to?

So I was telling them about how best to mount the stick etc so if you get a chance could you post/send this link to them?

https://stylealtitude.com/gopro-max-360-skiing-how-to-film-and-mount-camera.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sure. That was probably Paul. He made a great video of that day. He owns the Polar Bear Pub here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got back here yesterday. A lot of cars and people about. Not as busy as a normal February, there were some parking spaces to be found, but not at all quiet. My building is fairly full too. I'm going to lay low I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When is the next French update from the government?
snow conditions
Tonight at 6pm
ski holidays
just back from a brief skate (all my skates are brief Embarassed NehNeh ). Very, very busy. Pleasing in that I actually had to do some overtaking.

Less pleasing; the three older ladies who decided to have a chat stopped on the narrowest part of the course, blocking it... Puzzled ; and children, just children in general. oh and the ESF instructor who blocked the track with two clients and himself perpendicular rolling eyes
snow report
@under a new name, what, you were surprised by a ski instructor in a horizontal position with their clients? I thought that was a perk of the job. Happy
snow conditions
@Alpinebear, Cant see any updates on the news sites?
ski holidays
@snowdave, titter Laughing Laughing ah, les pulls rouges.

An ESF chum, back in the day, was mortified when a lady client suggested some off piste action and he was wearing his "inter-season boxers" - somewhat frayed...
snow report
@Philip1972, it was Veran yesterday. Mostly an update on the situation, English and South African variants, schools, testing, curfew, etc.

Deployment of saliva tests in schools at the start of the school year

Considerable impact of anticipated curfews on the decline of the historical strain

Extension of the monitoring system in the event of contamination until June 1

Extension of the duration of isolation for all positive cases from 7 to 10 days

The AstraZeneca vaccine is effective in a large majority of cases. Uncertainties on the South African variant

No relief from the curfew system
latest report
@Claude B, Thank you. Desperate to come over to check the new house is OK, but I guess I will have to wait!
latest report
@under a new name, sounds about right......

The "hordes" on holiday wherever they might be are capable of pulling off the most idiotic things, especially when the environment is alien to them, best if at all possible is to stay well clear Laughing

My mate arrived flying into Nice yesterday, have not spoken to him about how much grief or not he was given at the airport etc
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I would be very interested to see why he put down as execeptional circumstances.
latest report
@Philip1972, he's a "Propriétaire d'une Entreprise Gerant" own's four or five apartments and it's High season etc

He just messaged me when I asked him how things were with travel etc

French side, they just checked my passport and covid test. No questions at all.
At BA checkin at Heathrow they just looked at my test and my kbis. I didn’t have to give a reason for travel.
It was the easiest crossing yet
ski holidays
Hmmm, don’t think my apartment and house would qualify.
snow report
Now that’s interesting isn’t it! Wonder if they are as relaxed at the tunnel!
snow report
@Philip1972, without kicking things off again........

If Boris were to relax restrictions on your side then as a French property owner you might well be able to travel in order to do emergency work on your property etc and the beauty about the tunnel is; if you were to get turned back it would be in the UK.

However, you then have the issue of three tests to get back to the UK, I have friends going back middle of next week and costing them a fair few pennies in tests.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, all good points. The tests are a pain but other than the cost, they are just an inconvenience. I guess a lot can change in a week or 3, so I will wait it out and then make a dash for it!

Thanks for the info.
ski holidays
If one has a (negative) test then it's hard for people to justify turning you back - or for any one of us criticizing.
ski holidays
Quote:

An ESF chum, back in the day, was mortified when a lady client suggested some off piste action and he was wearing his "inter-season boxers" - somewhat frayed...

It doesn't sound like she was likely to be too bothered about his underwear. Shocked
latest report
@pam w, but ... but ... Gallic pride! He was mortified - but naturellement not that mortified wink
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Lyon is similar tbh. Fairly big groups drinking outside bars or eating outside restaurants. Plus of course buses, metro and shopping areas. Masks are compulsory outside here but a lot of people ignoring that.

I wasnt the only one to notice, steps taken

I noticed too here that outdoor tables where people have been congregating have been taped up. Although talking to a mate he was out at 10 last night, seen by the gendarmes, who didn't even stop him.
snow report
Feck me they're flooding down the valley still Shocked
ski holidays
I see that Alpes Maritimes is likely to have some degree of lockdown imposed imminently. Due to concerns about the rapid spread of the English variant particularly around Nice
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
I see that Alpes Maritimes is likely to have some degree of lockdown imposed imminently. Due to concerns about the rapid spread of the English variant particularly around Nice

Weekend confinement. Allowed to go out for 1 hr / 5km.

Grenoble and Chambery hospitals have been asked to plan to postpone operations in 14 days time as a 3rd wave is expected locally due to the holiday traffic.
snow report
Some of the thinking really does worry me. As we're smaller than the Isère threshold of 5000 inhabitants masks aren't mandatory outdoors. Last week and this week with an influx of Parisiens, Lyonnais and Marseillais here perhaps 20000. But still no mandatory masks although it's in the maires powers to do that rolling eyes
ski holidays
With a third wave inevitable and a very relaxed attitude towards any sort of vaccination program next year's ski season is looking a bit doubtful. It's as if the French have hit the self destruct button.
latest report
Do we think UK folks will be able to get to the mountains this summer? Or will it be a case of UK will let you go but France won't let you in
snow report
@Jonny996, i would say 50/50 i think that the brits will be able to travel but the french may well still be having a nightmare, after macron slated astra zeneca jab they have even lower uptake than normal etc.....im afraid his political aspirations of another term have come back to haunt him as the data now out is making him look like a silly billy..... i think that Switzerland might be a safer bet currently. i would rather go to france personally but im afraid they are are as mad as a box frogs in these covid post brexit time which is sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy