Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
And yet the UK delivered over half a million on Wednesday and again on Thursday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also half a million given in France on Friday
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@iainm, yeah, France do seem to be picking up.

In my complaining above, I will confess that I often forget just how weirdly distributed the French population is with 12 million of the 60 million in the Paris area, and the rest over a very large area. Which must bring its own challenges.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PARIS, April 11 (Reuters) - France will lengthen the period between the first and second shots of mRNA anti-COVID vaccines to six weeks from four weeks as of April 14 to accelerate the inoculation campaign, Health Minister Olivier Veran told the JDD newspaper on Sunday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:
PARIS, April 11 (Reuters) - France will lengthen the period between the first and second shots of mRNA anti-COVID vaccines to six weeks from four weeks as of April 14 to accelerate the inoculation campaign, Health Minister Olivier Veran told the JDD newspaper on Sunday.

Expect Rayscoops along shortly to tell us this is unproven "cod science"...............
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Daily cases in France still circa 35-40k

CONFIRMED: End of lockdown in France set for May 3
France’s government spokesman said today that the deadlines set out by the president in his speech on March 31 will be respected

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/CONFIRMED-End-of-lockdown-in-France-set-for-May-3

France is set to lift its partial lockdown on May 3, four weeks after it was introduced. However, the 19:00 to 06:00 curfew will remain in place.

It will mean an end to the ban on interdepartmental travel and an end to staying within 10km of your home except for essential reasons. It will also mean an end to exemption forms (attestations de déplacement) during the day.

Mr Attal said that this stage of the reopening may be carried out geographically, based on where the pandemic is most under control.

A press conference will be held April 22 where the return to schools will be addressed as well as the progression of the Covid-19 epidemic in France and the country’s vaccination campaign.

President Macron is expected to announce the reopening of the currently closed public establishments himself, but no date has yet been set for this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GreenDay wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Expect Rayscoops along shortly to tell us this is unproven "cod science"...............

Not at all, 6-8 weeks is as advised by many regulatory authorities, WHO etc. and backed by studies that prove antibodies etc hang around quite nicely until then

Very sensible decision supported by the science and experts and not a gamble at all
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, case numbers a decreasingly important observation.

99% of EHPAD occupants vaccinated.

ICUs generally under much less stress.

Deaths stable...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems very quick to let people free again, however we would like to get over at the very beginning of july for the tour so that looks a bit more possible, wont book anything till the very last minute
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robs1 wrote:
Seems very quick to let people free again, however we would like to get over at the very beginning of july for the tour so that looks a bit more possible, wont book anything till the very last minute

Beware when that last min happens it's going to be a mad rush.

I currently have NO guiding work at the moment, but when the floodgates open I expect to be tripple booked in an instant
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I agree with the case numbers not being the big issue now France has got the Vax programme underway. But I am interested in your line on ICUS being less stressed. The figures on 'reanimation' here suggest that ICU occupation has plateaued in the last week, but not declined, still within a spit of 6k. I believe 5k was a marker in the sand for drastic action.

https://dashboard.covid19.data.gouv.fr/vue-d-ensemble?location=FRA

Of course, it could be less sick folks are filling those beds?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, in fairness (to me hee hee) I was partially (over-?)extrapolating from conversations here re the Savoies and an article about Western France ... I think we peaked a few weeks ago at 7,000 (!) in ICU and Macron promised 3,000 additional ICU beds.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BBC reporting lockdown lifting plan for France

Full details in french here https://www.europe1.fr/politique/information-europe-1-les-ultimes-arbitrages-du-deconfinement-sur-la-table-a-lelysee-4041780#utm_medium=Social&xtor=CS1-15&utm_source=Facebook&Echobox=1619697566

May 19: Curfew moves from 19:00 to 21:00. Shops, museums, cinemas, terraces, outdoor sports venues can reopen. Gatherings of more than ten people are prohibited.

June 9: Curfew extended to 23:00. Cafes and restaurants can reopen inside with tables of up to six people.

June 30: Curfew comes to an end.(Restaurants etc back to normal “depending on local healthcare situation”)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, as just announced on Riviera Radio, same thing. 3rd of May inter-regionale freedom nice for us as we just booked flights down to Nice ... Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like a punchy approach compared to England. For sure beers on a terrace or a pavement but watching some dodgy play by Sartre in a sweaty airless theatre, no Ta.

Macron is playing a high stakes game.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, agreed. Definitely punchy compared to the UK but I guess that given they are two months behind in terms of vaccination, they can’t afford to lose another summer season so need to take the risk.
In terms of risk appetite, People will make their personal decisions based on what they perceive to be their own personal risk. About time too...with a virus where illness and death is hugely age dependent, we’ve been treated as a homogeneous block for too long.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, a good point, but are Sartre's plays all about audience participation? I would expect fairly quiet behaviour and not so much swearing at the stage.
snow report
Has macron said he is happy for the bodies to pile up ? He is taking a big risk, can imagine the UK press having a lot to say if we had shut down for such a short time, he certainly isnt following the science
latest report
@under a new name, Don't know, to be fair I had to Google French playwrights!
ski holidays
It's a crazy scenario only yesterday when we were getting tested in the pharmacy where it's an interseason desert town she'd had three cases the day before, I asked her about the local town, Briancon and she let a huge guffaw out and Gallic shrug.

And I think schools open next week?

Remember when the magic figure was 5k ?

I think Macron just can't abide how well the UK is doing hence his irrational decisions as it's all about his second term which the French Medja are questioning evidently according to French friends.

That said he just might get away with it.

And ads already appearing on Social Medja

Bonjour à tous , en espérant que les restaurants puissent ouvrir très vite , je cherche toujours un chef de cuisine !
Merci de passer le mot.....
06 85 63
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:
Has macron said he is happy for the bodies to pile up ? He is taking a big risk, can imagine the UK press having a lot to say if we had shut down for such a short time, he certainly isnt following the science

Exactly this. If the French open up now, they're screwed.
ski holidays
Quote:

if we had shut down for such a short time

Is 7 months short?
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Is 7 months short?

Exactly.

Doesn't feel like it to me.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Is 7 months short?

But most of it has been a farce and it certainly hasnt worked has it, numbers are higher now than three months ago, jan 7 day average was 9,000 its now 27,000, thats ten times ours and we are testing a million a day
latest report
I said it before but I'm still struggling to see France as a viable destination for next ski season let alone this summer.
latest report
esaw1 wrote:
I said it before but I'm still struggling to see France as a viable destination for next ski season let alone this summer.

Dont say that, I have already booked for next year...............
ski holidays
@GreenDay, I take it all back.
snow conditions
esaw1 wrote:

When things were far more positive last summer and with the vaccine on the horizon, we booked a holiday to France for this summer. I agree with you that it’s looking less and less likely. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robs1 wrote:
numbers are higher now than three months ago, jan 7 day average was 9,000 its now 27,000, thats ten times ours and we are testing a million a day

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=false&Align+outbreaks=false&country=~FRA&Metric=Confirmed+cases

At no point in Jan were numbers 9,000 ...

Cases in ICU seem pretty stable.

Current NPI measures in place are relatively weak - essentially, if you let kids go to school, then you lose a key pillar of NPI. So gradual relaxation, provided ICU beds aren't overwhelmed is reasonably judicious against a background of a fatigued and fractious populaton.
ski holidays
How is France doing with vaccinations? There was talk a few weeks back from a government minister (I think) that they were going to accelerate past the UK because of the UK's 2nd dose strategy. Surely if they are doing that, then the summer must be looking more promising?
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
How is France doing with vaccinations? There was talk a few weeks back from a government minister (I think) that they were going to accelerate past the UK because of the UK's 2nd dose strategy. Surely if they are doing that, then the summer must be looking more promising?

About 23% of adult population done. 550000 jabs yesterday. All care home residents have been vaccinated.
ski holidays
Well that sounds promising. Looks like they have got their act together.
latest report
@ringingmaster, it's vaccinating at about two-thirds of the rate that the UK is delivering.

France also still has very high test positivity (10%) suggesting its case count is heavily under-represented. IIRC the WHO cutoff for having things under control is 5%.

The Times was suggesting this morning that by end June France might make it onto the Green list, indicating that a key threshold will be 40% vaccination in the target country (France currently 22%, adding c. 0.3%/day, so 2 months = 40%).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 30-04-21 11:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Is that 23% with both doses?
snow report
@breeze11, no, 9% with both
snow conditions
Quote:

stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Is 7 months short?

But most of it has been a farce and it certainly hasnt worked has it,

Hardly. Bars, restaurants, sports facilities, chairlifts(!), cinemas, theatres, stadiums, etc. have all been shut since last October. There has also been an evening curfew since the end of strict lockdown in mid-December. I can't speak for the whole country, but round here this has all been broadly well-respected.

A key part of the French strategy throughout this time has been to keep the kids in school. This inevitably means higher cases than if kids are kept locked-down but it is hard to argue against it given all of the obvious social and economic benefits. The key figure has been ICU occupancy. This stayed manageable at around 80% throughout the winter. The more recent impact of the "English" variant has resulted in a spike in ICU occupancy, to which there has been a swift response in imposing stricter lockdown rules. Covid deaths have been stable or trending downwards since Christmas and are currently at (or very near) their lowest level since last summer.

My personal opinion is that France's underlying strategy is to try to keep things ticking over at manageable levels until the summer. By then, the anticipated drop-off in virus numbers due to the warmer weather, combined with the impact of the vaccine should see very low figures over the summer. By the time they start to climb again in the autumn, the vaccine coverage should be at a point where there is no significant resurgence. That strategy is certainly open to criticism, but it may well work.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Is 7 months short?

But most of it has been a farce and it certainly hasnt worked has it,

Hardly. Bars, restaurants, sports facilities, chairlifts(!), cinemas, theatres, stadiums, etc. have all been shut since last October. There has also been an evening curfew since the end of strict lockdown in mid-December. I can't speak for the whole country, but round here this has all been broadly well-respected.

A key part of the French strategy throughout this time has been to keep the kids in school. This inevitably means higher cases than if kids are kept locked-down but it is hard to argue against it given all of the obvious social and economic benefits. The key figure has been ICU occupancy. This stayed manageable at around 80% throughout the winter. The more recent impact of the "English" variant has resulted in a spike in ICU occupancy, to which there has been a swift response in imposing stricter lockdown rules. Covid deaths have been stable or trending downwards since Christmas and are currently at (or very near) their lowest level since last summer.

My personal opinion is that France's underlying strategy is to try to keep things ticking over at manageable levels until the summer. By then, the anticipated drop-off in virus numbers due to the warmer weather, combined with the impact of the vaccine should see very low figures over the summer. By the time they start to climb again in the autumn, the vaccine coverage should be at a point where there is no significant resurgence. That strategy is certainly open to criticism, but it may well work.

According to world stats french 7 day average as of 28th april was 291 deaths thats the same level as 29 oct and only a few times has it gone below that average, compare the numbers we are at now of around 20 average a day over 7 days I think the French are risking a large rise in deaths, of course with better weather cases may not rise, at the moment they are still as high as they were in Oct .
Time will tell who had the best strategy
latest report
robs1 wrote:

True, but even then it depends on how you choose to measure it. Covid deaths at least can be measured on the same basis everywhere by excess over the past average, and there are some numerical measurements of economic activity. But how do you compare the impact on children, the five-year-olds who get their educational basics (and socialisation skills) at school and cannot meaningfully get the same online, the GCSE and A level years whose actual educational attainment (as opposed to grades assigned by some cobbled together process) will struggle to be made up? And the life quality of the elderly generation which normally revolves around visiting friends for tea and seeing grandchildren - all lost in the UK for best part of a year?
latest report
https://covidtracker.fr/covidtracker-france/
If you scroll down towards the bottom of the webpage there's a graph for deaths from all causes. You'll hopefully notice that the death rate for 2021 is almost identical to 2019 and far less than 2018 and (of course) 2020.
snow report
j b wrote:
robs1 wrote:

True, but even then it depends on how you choose to measure it. Covid deaths at least can be measured on the same basis everywhere by excess over the past average, and there are some numerical measurements of economic activity. But how do you compare the impact on children, the five-year-olds who get their educational basics (and socialisation skills) at school and cannot meaningfully get the same online, the GCSE and A level years whose actual educational attainment (as opposed to grades assigned by some cobbled together process) will struggle to be made up? And the life quality of the elderly generation which normally revolves around visiting friends for tea and seeing grandchildren - all lost in the UK for best part of a year?

It's a very hard balancing act, not helped by the media who are full of great ideas, in hindsight of course and seem intent on causing issues, 24 hour news creation not reporting
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy