Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
Macron is on TV on Wednesday evening so I'm sure we can expect bad news.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Associated Press reports:

Quote:

The French government count of Covid-19 patients in ICUs and hospital surveillance units climbed to 4,872 on Sunday night. That is just short of the last high-point of 4,919 ICU cases on 16 November, when France was also gripped by a virus surge and was locked down in response.

With ICU admissions continuing to increase by double digits on a daily basis, that November peak could be overtaken within days. Doctors are increasingly sounding the alarm that they may have to start turning patients away for ICU care, particularly in the Paris region.

When the pandemic first hit France, hospitals ended up with more than 7,000 patients in intensive care, a high point reached in April 2020.

But during that initial tidal wave of infections, hospitals stopped treating many non-Covid-19 patients to avoid becoming completely overwhelmed.

This time, as was also the case last November, hospitals are not completely clearing their decks of non-virus cases. While some non-essential surgeries are again being postponed, hospitals are still treating Covid and non-Covid emergencies, putting some ICUs under intense and worsening pressure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Macron on at 8pm CET.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems in the last few days people have cleared out here in Serre Che very quiet, and others have noticed the same, don't know if it's Easter coming up, potential lock-down or there's no snow left Puzzled

It would be so much better if the exercise limit was 20km rather than 10km as the Lautaret is then doable on the bike etc but evidently
you can't drive to where you want to start the exercise so that rules out ski-touring up there?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Macron on at 8pm CET.

Starting at 8pm, finishing sometime Saturday prolly Very Happy

Anyway as a resident of an already locked down department, I have to say that so far this lockdown is much better than the last two. Hopefully the authorities have finally realised that penalizing people wanting to go outdoors is counterproductive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Being strictly observed in Lyon Shocked Last time I was there groups were congregating drinking on the quays and steps.

https://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/lyon-une-fete-sauvage-a-rassemble-300-personnes-sur-les-quais-31-03-2021-2M37ZYVC7NEEFDBROXXZOKSP4E.php
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, that's crazy, presume Lyon is not in lock-down (?) so are they having one last thrash in case lock-down happens?

The last time Castex was on we were watching him on France 24 which gives almost instantaneous translation, but the best was afterwards with their various commentators giving a very jaundiced (amusing) view of things.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, Been in lockdown since last weekend. That is this week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, similar scenes in the UK this week, large groups of teens/early twenties partying in open spaces. with various reports in the media showing the aftermath with litter, mainly empty booze containers strewn everywhere.

one park in Sheffield you could barely see a blade of grass between the mess Shocked Shocked Shocked

apart from the disgraceful lack of social distancing, why the f!!k people cannot take away the rubbish they created with them is beyond me Puzzled

fortunately, weather is due to turn colder this weekend, but am afraid it is going to be common sights in the weeks to come when the weather improves
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But in Lyon that is also after curfew starts at 7pm. I'm pretty sure there is also an arrêt banning drinking there and in many other places. It's the quay on the Saone, 1e arrondissement, slap bang in the city centre. Tuesday evening.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@terrygasson, agree with you about the litter-my pet hate too-but all the evidence (particularly from last year) is that meeting up outside has a tiny impact on transmission, whatever the numbers. Young people have put their lives on hold for a year now, can’t blame them for wanting to get together before they have to start paying off the Covid bill on behalf of their grandparents.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@terrygasson, agree with you about the litter-my pet hate too-but all the evidence (particularly from last year) is that meeting up outside has a tiny impact on transmission, whatever the numbers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Litter is just a symptom of modern life, its someone elses job job clear up their mess, their mum probably does it at home.
Not sure that losing a year at 18 or twenty is worse than at 60 or 70, the young have plenty of time left to make up for this year, us oldies havent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowhound, everyones life has been on hold for a year, not just young people.

if people if they meet up in a park and socialize responsibly, even in slightly higher numbers than 6, then happy days.

but these are not the scenes that are being witnessed, or do we just say F!!k it, if you are in a certain age bracket, feel free to do what you like and do not worry about the consequences Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A year in lockdown for the elderly was a matter of imperative self preservation. For the the young, it was done on behalf of the elderly. You can only ask younger people (of whom I am not a member) to put their lives on hold for so long on behalf of others.
ski holidays
Agree the comments about young lives on hold etc. Re litter I'm told that schools now employ contractors to clean up litter from the school playground after each break, the kids don't have to pick it up or refrain from dropping it. (Be interested if anyone employed at a UK school currently can confirm or deny this.)
snow report
.... & sorry about the thread drift....
snow conditions
@peerless ploughman, sorry that is my fault regarding thread drift, though just commenting that the situation is the same here as in France

@snowhound, will obviously have to agree to disagree with you regarding young lives on hold, as I still believe you should be responsible for your actions at that age no matter what sacrifices you have had to make.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
But in Lyon that is also after curfew starts at 7pm. I'm pretty sure there is also an arrêt banning drinking there and in many other places. It's the quay on the Saone, 1e arrondissement, slap bang in the city centre. Tuesday evening.

I bet they (Lyonaise) didn't leave anywhere near that amount of litter unlike their Brit contemporaries though?

Does seem to be a Brit malaise that's developed over the last ten or so years as we regularly used to witness along the greenswards next to the beaches at Worthing, mainly brought by visitors at the weekends.
snow report
@Weathercam, sadly I agree - back to 1970s levels. Hopefully it’ll swing back to better levels
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
Litter is just a symptom of modern life, its someone elses job job clear up their mess, their mum probably does it at home.
Not sure that losing a year at 18 or twenty is worse than at 60 or 70, the young have plenty of time left to make up for this year, us oldies havent.

Time flies as you age. Things that seem like yesterday happened 5 years ago. Screamadelica is 30 years old FFS.

Your relativity filter is much different at 18 - it's taken you all your life to get through school, and a lost year of social events, clubbing, first independent holidays and just hanging out is a lot. I think it's right that more and more kids should now be bucking against the letter of the law - you'd feel more pessimistic about the future if they'd all become compliant drones.
ski holidays
Just to pick up on the lives on hold. Yes everyone has struggled, however as a 53 yr old my life of slobbing in front of tv each night hasn’t changed. For my teens and everything they would normally be enjoying has been on hold, plus all their other social interactions and all their part time jobs in pubs etc stopped

So yes I think overall they’ve had it worse than me
latest report
Good luck on latest lockdown
ski holidays
Just watched it in french. Not too bad. From my crappy understanding. National from 5th. Shops closed. No more than 10km from home or interdepartmental. School closures and reopenings adjusted. They were to close for 2 weeks for Easter anyway.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Claude B wrote:

I bet they (Lyonaise) didn't leave anywhere near that amount of litter unlike their Brit contemporaries though?

Does seem to be a Brit malaise that's developed over the last ten or so years as we regularly used to witness along the greenswards next to the beaches at Worthing, mainly brought by visitors at the weekends.

It appears they did:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/rhone/lyon/acheter-1-bouteille-moins-1-sac-poubelle-plus-appel-au-civisme-auteure-photos-berges-lyon-1836108.amp
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Just to pick up on the lives on hold. Yes everyone has struggled, however as a 53 yr old my life of slobbing in front of tv each night hasn’t changed. For my teens and everything they would normally be enjoying has been on hold, plus all their other social interactions and all their part time jobs in pubs etc stopped

So yes I think overall they’ve had it worse than me

Couldn’t agree more - for my family (parents in 50s, kids late teens/early 20’s) the kids have had it far worse.
ski holidays
Thanks @Claude B. Just looked at the BBC summary, minimum of 3 weeks.

I am not sure why they didn't decide earlier on a lockdown incorporating the Easter holidays if kids are off school anyway for 2 weeks. It always made sense. Anyway, as an interested party let's hope it turns the tide and visitors might be possible come the summer.

Interestingly given the reported French mentality towards vaccination, the BBC quoted him describing a "race" between vaccines and virus spread. I hope he succeeds in encouraging his citizens to join the vaccination side of that race,
latest report
j b wrote:
Thanks @Claude B. Just looked at the BBC summary, minimum of 3 weeks.

I am not sure why they didn't decide earlier on a lockdown incorporating the Easter holidays if kids are off school anyway for 2 weeks. It always made sense. Anyway, as an interested party let's hope it turns the tide and visitors might be possible come the summer.

Interestingly given the reported French mentality towards vaccination, the BBC quoted him describing a "race" between vaccines and virus spread. I hope he succeeds in encouraging his citizens to join the vaccination side of that race,

The French do seem to be ramping up big style on the vaccines now - I think they’re jabbing as many people per day as the UK now. And I look back to where the UK was 8 weeks ago in late Jan (75k cases a day, 1,000 deaths a day) and now (4,500k cases and under 50 deaths) and it makes me fairly optimistic for the summer.

Solid evidence that the vaccines prevent transmission now (if I’ve understood the data), so with over 50s vaxed in France by the end of May I’d hope the picture will be very different.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, +1. My teenage daughters have lost the sort of social life that age group thrive on, physical schooling, sports fixtures, growing up experiences, shopping, evening sports clubs, and work experience.
I on the other hand, haven’t been able to go the gym.
Listened to Newscast podcast and Fergus Walsh saying the same thing about foreign travel-thought to and from some EU countries including France would be possible by July as he felt they were about to get a huge vaccine surge from April. In other words, by end of June they should be where we are now. Them allowing a four week gap rather than twelve between doses will slow things down compared to UK though.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 31-03-21 20:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
@andy from embsay, +1. My teenage daughters have lost the sort of social life that age group thrive on, physical schooling, sports fixtures, growing up experiences, shopping, evening sports clubs, and work experience.
I on the other hand, haven’t been able to go the gym.

I don’t even go to the gym - much to the chagrin of some of the folk round here, riding a bicycle has been allowed throughout.
latest report
Blimey what a bunch of old farts some of you lot are , we have a better social life than the kids, in summer less so due to working silly hours but from oct to end march I'm out at least four nights a wk doing something and we do something at least one day/night at the wknd, bug sitting at home watching crap on telly, life is for living
latest report
Macron was wearing lipstick for tonight's TV appearance. Perhaps he always does, or was it just for this special occasion?
latest report
As a mate in Tignes has just said "if you don't have kids little has changed". Might be a while before the trend is down.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, So are you the same Andy that I was Tweeting about 10,000 truck drivers per day????
snow report
Matt1959 wrote:
@andy from embsay, So are you the same Andy that I was Tweeting about 10,000 truck drivers per day????

I imagine so - Embsay’s a small place...
snow conditions
Quote:

I am not sure why they didn't decide earlier on a lockdown incorporating the Easter holidays if kids are off school anyway for 2 weeks.

I may be wrong but I believe the first region starts the spring holiday on April 18th The Easter holidays do not incoprorate any school holidays, but I think Good Friday is a holiday.
latest report
School Holidays were due to be from 10th April through to 3rd May. 2 weeks per zone. Now the whole country will be from 10th for 2 weeks with everyone home schooling next week. Écoles Maternelles and Primaires will return on 26th and Collèges and Lycées on 3rd May after a week of home schooling. Good Friday isn't actually a bank holiday in France, just Monday.

There was also due to be another Pont de l'Ascension holiday soon after from 12th to 17th May. I'm not sure but i think this may be cancelled. My ex is a teacher and she has a son at collège I'll ask her what she thinks of it all.

Shops etc here were gearing up for a few tourists over the Easter weekend. I guess that will still happen. Can't imagine it will be very busy, it isn't this week at all.
snow report
robs1 wrote:
Blimey what a bunch of old farts some of you lot are , we have a better social life than the kids, in summer less so due to working silly hours but from oct to end march I'm out at least four nights a wk doing something and we do something at least one day/night at the wknd, bug sitting at home watching crap on telly, life is for living

Regardless if I had a more active social life, I had learnt to have one & how to behave, these are the experiences kids are missing.
They missed the excitement/stress of exams, the sneaking into pubs after exams. They missed the excitement of driving lessons or being able to take car to school. Last year’s cohort completely missed the once in a life time excitement of leaving home for university. I know my son who has been starting lose head prop for school first team in every year will not get his first 15 game.
I have great sympathy for the 2001-2004 generation
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
Just watched it in french. Not too bad. From my crappy understanding. National from 5th.

*From the evening of Saturday 3rd*

Shops closed.

*Only some non-essential, same as November lockdown*

No more than 10km from home or interdepartmental.

*Without an attestation*

School closures and reopenings adjusted. They were to close for 2 weeks for Easter anyway.
ski holidays
@KenX, But it also says that people will be able to travel between departments over Easter. So not totally clear.

Déplacements entre régions
Les déplacements entre les régions seront autorisés durant le week-end de Pâques, a annoncé Emmanuel Macron, une tolérance avant l'application des limitations de déplacements instaurées pour quatre semaines sur tout le territoire. "Qui souhaite changer de région pour aller s'isoler pourra le faire durant ce week-end de Pâques". Et de poursuivre : "Les Françaises et les Français de l'étranger qui veulent rentrer en France pourront aussi le faire à tout moment".

Effectively a truce over Easter similar to ones last year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy