Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, well hopefully summer season will happen, mainly as I've booked to visit, and may be no further lockdown if France got on with jabbing people!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
weathercam wrote:
And I did hear that many were tested here whilst on their hols and those figures are then attributed to the Region where the test was taken, even if they live elsewhere, but that might be the stuff of urban myths?
Duh? What's the problem with that?
If those people tested positive while in that area, that's where they were going around potentially infecting others. Those others whether local, or having since returned home, should be aware they were at greater risk of having become infected by being in an area that spawned a lot of positive test results.
The virus isn't going to infect fewer people cos it's on its hols, is it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
The virus isn't going to infect fewer people cos it's on its hols, is it?

You need to think like a politician Laughing The number of positive tests is displayed as a ratio against the permanent population, not the increased population of those on holidays. In tiny Alpine communities with small permanent populations, these clusters can make a huge difference to how bad things look when it only takes a handful of cases to set off alarm bells. If they are registered against the patient's permanent home address instead, it not only reduces the alarm in the holiday location, but passes the problem off to someone else's district/country Very Happy

At the very least, counting these cases at the holiday address means you are not comparing apples with apples in the rest of the country.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you @Scarlet, but Mr Cam is not the Mayor of the Alpes so he doesn't need to think like a politician. Better to know how many typhoid Mary's you have been bumping elbows with IMV.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@admin, yeah, sure, but if the figures are being attributed at the test site rather than home address, that goes against normal registration processes and @Weathercam is right to be suspicious as it's difficult to discern how bad things really are. It's a tricky one though, because as you say, the actual infection is here and not over there.

Edit: we have the same problem in places like Landeck, which has such a tiny population that if you don't watch it, you can end up with more infections that you've got people!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@admin, people are quite rightly concerned that we could now go into tighter restrictions due to the high incidence of cases recorded here, whereas in fact the vast majority of those positive cases have now fecked off back to their own regions, quite simple really?

Just as many were predicting would happen before the holidays and said it was stupidity to allow the holidays to happen in the first place etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Castex and Véran on tv tomorrow. Likely to be further restrictions in Paris. If it were to be something national Macron would probably have been on I think.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, I'm not one for being judgemental and I don't judge you for going to France from the UK as you did, but as someone who, to use your own terminology, 'fecked off to the mountains' when it suited him, despite the prevailing pandemic, who are you to judge others for doing virtually the same?
You remind me of the recently arrived Slovenian immigrant I met who was voting leave.
"Now I've got what I want, why should everyone else get it?"

You never miss an opportunity to crow about being in the mountains nor to criticise others for being there.
I have absolutely no problem with either, but you can't have both.
I'm sorry but your own choices undermine the moral highground from which you seem so fond of shouting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam,
Quote:

I did hear that many were tested here whilst on their hols

Was that because they couldn't go skiing and had got bored snow-shoeing, or walking back down after randoing up? Certainly haven't heard any whisper of anything like that in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@admin, for the record, I came here hoping to live nigh on full time, as I spend so much more time here than the UK (not just the Winter), and getting out of the UK before Dec 31st was key to that, and now I hopefully get my residency April 9th Toofy Grin

Doing what I did is totally different to coming for just one week's holiday, I even sacrificed not being with my wife for 72 days*!!!

People living here have a totally different mindset and live accordingly, especially in these times compared to people who are here on holiday, some of the antics you just would not see out of the holidays.

As I've mentioned on previous pages in this thread, most of my comments are derived from people that have lived here for a long time French locals as well as died in the wool ex-pats and that sort of rubs off on you too as you too see first hand what they continually criticise.

And @under a new name, that wasn't too far off what my friend told me when I asked him why, as it was easier here to be tested Confused

Again I'm only telling what I've heard as it were, hence I question is it an "urban myth".

*there is slightly more to that which is private

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 17-03-21 19:25; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, one friend or many, independently? I doubt any of the tourists here would know where the lab was.

Plus, "oh, shall we go for a wee stroll down into town and sample one of the many excellent artisanal beers or vins chauds for sale or shall I get an appointment for someone to stick a cotton bud up my nose and down my tonsils after a 45 minute wait outside the lab?"

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 17-03-21 15:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, Did you self-isolate for a couple of weeks after arriving in Serre Chevalier ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rjs, there was no need for that back then, only a PCR test, though I was more or less on my tod anyway.

Anyone else care for a pop Laughing

And as an informative aside.

Found out and had it confirmed today that if your spouse is in possession of an S1 health form then their dependents are covered as well, which in a nutshell means you're in the French Health Care without the associated hassle of getting into it, if that makes sense?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tests attributed to the holiday place, if that is where you are is 100% right.

We had the (crazy) opposite problem here in October.

The local GP (one of my best friends) got an Emergency Team visit due to incredibly high CV tests in the area.
Except that they had nearly zero cases, or tests.
The reason....there are a LOT of families with kids at university elsewhere, and a big boarding school which registers all its pupils to that practise.
The students away at Uni were testing positive, but they (and the ex boarding school pupils) were still registered with my friend's practice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, Do you have your rdv for residency at the prefecture on 9th? I have mine on 1st in Grenoble. That is a bonus for healthcare, it took just over a year for me Crying or Very sad I've a couple of mates with a long history of here returned in December to seek residency also.
snow report
@Claude B, yes RDV 9th April for me and the Mrs consecutive time-slots at Gap. Does seem a little bizarre in that back in December having made the submission attaching various docs that we almost instantaneously received both the confirmation attestation and then an email to make the appt at the Prefecture, without I suggest no human looking at our documentation?

I was going to use (pay) for a third party company to arrange the appointment, but in the end, we did it all online then I was going to use said same company for the Carte Vitale application and now that's no longer necessary (I hope) plus I was going to take out private insurance so can't quite believe how the toast has landed butter side up today?

Certainly not counting any chickens before the RDV.

This is an extract of the Email about my S1, the Company I've been in contact with knew nothing about this, theoretically, I simply register and then I'm on the system in the same way as my OH, though like I say I can't quite believe it.

Please accept this email as confirmation that an S1 certificate of entitlement has been sent to your overseas address. You will also receive information about how to register your S1 with the local authorities.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I only applied on 9th March. Got an email the next day with details of rdv on 1st. Some people who applied months ago still haven't received anything.
ski holidays
@Claude B, have you gone down the retired route, just that we've heard similar stories about people not getting the invitation for a RDV, just wondering if you're retired then it's a more simple process?

That said still have the joys of submitting French Tax but again we've heard that could be beneficial with two lots of allowances. Just the little matter of Wealth Tax in 5 years Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I'm classed as inactif, not old enough to retire but not working. For getting into the health system that is the most complicated. If working or retired with an S1 it's much easier. I did my first tax return last year for 2019.
snow report
So an S1 not a CV? Does that mean you can’t get a mutuelle?

Morzine has got mass testing on friday.
ski holidays
With an S1 for uk retirees the UK takes responsibility for paying for healthcare. You still have a carte vitale and I think a mutuelle is also necessary for the other 30%. I should get an S1 when I'm 66 and will no longer have to pay cotisations. There is also some scheme for S1s for cross border workers. I'm not sure how that works.
latest report
@Claude B,

I’m a cross border worker. I simply apply for an S1 each November for the following year. This entitles me to a Carte Vitale. Fortunately that has been allowed to continue, despite Brexit.

@Weathercam, I think you are correct and should benefit from two tax free allowances, I know I do, but then I’m still working. I’m not sure how that works as a pensioner.
Why is wealth tax an issue in five years, and not now? Mortgage still being paid off?

Re testing. I’m 90% certain that, in France, a test result is registered to one’s address, not location of test.
Morzine has had a rise in cases since the holiday season, but I think that is generally attributed to more circulation of people and hence virus.
snow report
@zzz, well, you are certainly a cross as in, grumpy, worker, I've noticed wink
snow report
@under a new name, @zzz, @Claude B, silly question guys, way off topic, what weather conditions do you have this morning?

I was just looking at the Weather on Ledauphine.com and saw "la grisaille persiste" which I had to run through google translate = "greyness persists", so is that an inversion etc as not a cloud in the sky here?

And re S1 the woman I spoke to at the Overseas Healthcare Services was so damn helpful was such a refreshing change.

And evidently, we don't have to worry about Wealth Tax on UK assets for five years, so the game plan is to get shot of them.
snow report
@Weathercam, Blue sky this morning. Sun just about to appear above the mountain and flood into my place Very Happy
snow report
admin wrote:
You remind me of the recently arrived Slovenian immigrant I met who was voting leave.

Just as an aside, I wonder how the Slovenian immigrant was able to have a vote in the referendum unless he had become a UK citizen, since the only people allowed to vote in the referendum were UK citizens and citizens of Eire and Commonwealth countries resident in the UK? (although of course 700,000 UK citizens resident in the EU were denied a vote by virtue of having lived outside the UK for more than 15 years).
snow conditions
Quote:

since the only people allowed to vote in the referendum were UK citizens and citizens of Eire and Commonwealth countries resident in the UK?

You forgot to add "over 18".

Now stop it @Claude B. Are you trying to incite mass depression amongst snowheads?
snow report
@Weathercam,
Sun coming out here. Going out later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
admin wrote:

Just as an aside, I wonder how the Slovenian immigrant was able to have a vote in the referendum unless he had become a UK citizen, since the only people allowed to vote in the referendum were UK citizens and citizens of Eire and Commonwealth countries resident in the UK? (although of course 700,000 UK citizens resident in the EU were denied a vote by virtue of having lived outside the UK for more than 15 years).
I didn't care to know her particularly well but I understand she was married to a Britisher.
snow conditions
Just out of interest, and in relation to the thread title, how are things for people who are currently out in France? I ask because as soon as we get our second dose in early May, we might well go out to the Alps just for a break, if conditions allow, of course. That would usually be driving through France with an overnight stop, and then into Switzerland the second day. Or we could do what we did last August/Sept and drive all in one go, although we'd probably still be on the French side of the F:CH border at 18:00. Or we could fly/drive - although personally, we'd rather self-drive.

The impression I get at the moment is that even if the UK and CH are OK for travel by May/June, France may still be in something of a difficult situation. And that as things stand, a fly/drive to GVA is the more likely scenario for us. Obviously with the caveat that any predictions are uncertain.
snow report
@LaForet, it's not an issue to drive it all in one go as an attestation lets you drive long distance if you're travelling doing a transfer, even if we're in lock-down. At the weekend I drove to Nice to collect my Mrs from the airport armed with an attestation etc.

Along with card payment at the pumps, you should be able to totally minimise any potential contact.

Skiing back down today whilst waiting for the dogs we came across a group of six or so thirty-somethings, chatting to them they were here for one weeks holiday from Paris, and he told us how bad things were there and how it was great to be here, so I did respond with that's why our cases are probably going up rolling eyes

That said if they're in, and keep their own "covid" bubble and keep themselves to themselves, then at the moment, there are not too many people to mix with here.

Best though was that three of them were on skis, three on snow-shoes and they were climbing up a steep red, that had been groomed but only the width of the basher, so quite narrow, he then asked what it was like further up, any greens or blues as they had not done much skiing before Laughing

Couple of photos to brighten one's day.

As you can see they'd pisted up to where we were, which is for the snow-mobiles. We'd just come out of the forest skiing cold snow, hence the state of Beanie Laughing
latest report
@Weathercam, sorry I missed your question as we were in full ahead mode for 08h00 pickup to troop across to Les Marécottes (CH) where apparently there'd been some powder.

Anyhoo, grey all day, snowing quite heavily for much of the time.

In terms of powder, Les 'cottes have a bit of a dual personality. On one hand a fabuluously pretty, chocolate box, family ski station - one chair, one drag, etc. - one the other hand an apparently well deserved reputation as the go to area for extreme ski video, due to easily accessible (and sort of safe-ish) couloirs ...

Make of that what you will. We should have been there yesterday but still found some pockets of untracked (and one whole micro-valley that is now my secret that was totally untracked). I kept hitting untracked pitches and assuming I was about to die. As in ... if no-one else skied this, why not?
snow conditions
Wow Castex can drone on, and of course he said, more than once, it was down to the British variant rolling eyes

Anyway Paris and Northern France in lockdown, at one point did think we here in the Hautes Alpes were going to be included.

Schools open, some shops open, and unlimited exercise within 10km of your home, wish we'd be included Laughing
latest report
Curfew for the rest from 7pm now.
snow report
@Claude B, at least he's given the Parisians time to evacuate Paris Laughing

Remember the scenes last time?

All the detail here re what departments / restrictions etc

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Four-week-full-lockdown-for-16-departments-in-France-Pm-announces
snow conditions
Looks like they're finally getting the hang of this social distancing malarkey Laughing

latest report
@Weathercam, yeah, suddenly a rash (sic) of bl**dy 75 plates cluttering up the roads, parking inappropriately, dog crap everywhere (again) ...
latest report
@Weathercam, Is that the new 'ESF snowplough school using the whole piste' ? Very Happy
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

@Claude B, at least he's given the Parisians time to evacuate Paris

Google translate quotes from Le Dauphine today.
Quote:
13:33: Reservations on the rise on Flixbus
The long-distance coach company Flixbus has also observed "a very significant increase" in last-minute bookings from Paris since Thursday evening. The increase of around 50% compared to last week confirms the exodus of some Parisians who are fleeing confinement. The most popular destinations are Marseille, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Reims and Barcelona but also Le Havre and Nice which are however also in confined departments but with the advantage of being by the sea. On the other hand, the demand is less strong towards Brittany, which had attracted many families during the first confinement. This is probably explained by the schools which remain open.

Quote:
11:20 am: SNCF trains stormed after Jean Castex's announcements
Many Parisians and travelers in the departments affected by the traffic restrictions rushed to train reservations Thursday evening after the Prime Minister's announcements. The most popular destinations from Paris are those to the West of France but also Lyon and to a lesser extent to the South of France. The number of reservations doubled compared to the day before
snow report
Google maps showing the Great Escape is starting from Paris! I suppose only the schools remaining open is stopping them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy