Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, I've not found anything other than a single report, which has not been backed up by anyone likely to know for certain. in fact MHRA advice was
Quote:
However, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), which approved the jab and judged it to be safe, says: “There is currently no evidence that drinking alcohol interferes with the efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccines.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bug I could have bought wine rather than chocolate wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect it was just in time. Guess France might suspend AZ too. Read this morning that the fire service in Bouches-du-Rhône have suspended it's use for firemen. Big area inc Marseille.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Guess France might suspend AZ too. Read this morning that the fire service in Bouches-du-Rhône have suspended it's use for firemen. Big area inc Marseille.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad rolling eyes rolling eyes

So are the individuals making these decisions, like, actual clinicians and scientists as it sure doesn't look like it to me ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that reassurance, @Hells Bells! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just another way of covering up the c*ck up with the supply. Try to put off as many as possible.

Do we have any figures for blood clots from the UK as comparison?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These types of risk discussions and risk perception amuse / worry me. (and I mean outside Snowheads)
Let's stop a vaccination program that will prevent several thousand deaths a day because a few tens of people have had a nasty side effect that may or may not be related to the vaccine.

I just hope they don't stop it in the UK until I have had mine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Classic thread drift, but I would imagine alcohol will help thin the blood and prevent any blood clots. I continue to self-medicate daily and have never had a blood clot. Science.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo wrote:
I would imagine alcohol will help thin the blood and prevent any blood clots. I continue to self-medicate daily ...

I am in the same arm of that clinical trial as you. But I am a bit worried about whether there are enough Snowheads in the control arm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or any! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
40 cases of blood clots shortly after 17 million vaccinations. This is less than the average number of unvaccinated people. It needs investigating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B wrote:
I suspect it was just in time. Guess France might suspend AZ too. Read this morning that the fire service in Bouches-du-Rhône have suspended it's use for firemen. Big area inc Marseille.

To be suspended, announcement tomorrow, according to this news report.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/coronavirus-sans-doute-de-nouvelles-decisions-dans-les-jours-qui-viennent-annonce-emmanuel-macron-1615823601

Quote:
Suspension de la vaccination AstraZeneca
Ces nouvelles mesures vont devoir être prises alors qu'Emmanuel Macron a aussi annoncé "suspendre par précaution" l'utilisation du vaccin AstraZeneca, en attendant un avis de l'autorité européenne du médicament. Cet avis sera rendu mardi. Plusieurs pays européens ont pris la même décision, dont l'Allemagne et l'Italie ce lundi, après des doutes sur les effets secondaires de ce vaccin.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are they going to suspend the ban on exports of the vaccine as well?

It would be a travesty it they stopped using it and let it go to waste when there are about 6Billion others who would gladly take it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brianatab, that won't be a problem. You could probably keep the AZ vaccine in a domestic fridge for 6 months without it becoming ineffective
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
Just another way of covering up the c*ck up with the supply. Try to put off as many as possible.
The FT reported last week that of the supply of AZ vaccines that France has already received, 61% is currently unused. There's only a supply problem if demand exceeds it.
snow report
@ecureuil, Maybe, but it's a fair few million doses that could save a few thousand lives in that six months.
latest report
Had out shots at 3:30 PM - roughly the same time the ban was announced.
The doc just did them anyway Smile
She said the huge problem was the wastage of vaccine.
Each AZ phial contains 10 doses, and there aren't enough French people coming forwards for the AZ vaccine.
But if she has started a phial she has to use it that day, so she just makes 10 bookings a day ( for anyone who wants one). Interestingly while we were there (about 45 minutes) there were 8 other people at the doctors. Two French people in their mid-late 50s going to see the normal doctor, and 8 Ex-pat Brits (aged 45 -55) including me and Mrs WoC to see the vaccine doctor.
I think that tells a story on its own.
latest report
@WindOfChange, can I ask where your doctor is? Do you have co-morbidities etc? I feel I’m missing out!
latest report
zzz wrote:
@WindOfChange, can I ask where your doctor is? Do you have co-morbidities etc? I feel I’m missing out!

+1 Laughing
ski holidays
I had my first AZ 5 or 6 weeks ago (71 years, Somerset), my side effects were:
I felt as if I was running a temperature - I wasn't; I also had the shivers.
I felt quite light headed - "three glasses of good red wine" type light headed the following morning/early afternoon!
I slept very well the that night.
No stiffness, no strange sensations. The only other thing was that I hadn't felt the needle going in!

edit: Incidentally, my area in Italy (NW corner of Lake Garda) has just started offering 1st jabs to 80 year olds. Pfizer.
snow conditions
I only registered with my doc last week. I asked about vaccination and they said that without comorbidités I wasn't yet eligible, I'm 62. However I said that I was always available should they need anyone at short notice. Last Thursday I got a call offering an appointment yesterday, just in time given the announcements yesterday too. Most there at the same time were older although there was one other Brit who is a bit younger than me.
ski holidays
I'm off to get the La Grave jab this morning as they seem to have more over there than here Laughing
ski holidays
zzz wrote:

+2
snow report
Strange this lack of demand. I was at the doctors last week for something else and asked her about the vaccine roll out. As far as she was concerned it was a lack of supply as she showed me a folder with everyone she has on a waiting list. Our french friends here(40-55 ages) when asked are ready for the jab when called! Allemond have been dishing them out to people already.
The pharmacy in Bourg will be able to vaccine in the next week or so.
ski holidays
I do not have any co-morbidities (AFAIK), neither Mrs WoC who is much younger than me, and of the other Brits there, I knew 4 of them, all of whom are super fit skiers with no issues (other than not being snowboarders), and the 2 women were both under 50.
Our normal Doctor is in St Jean, which is a hub for vaccination, but is working down through the cohorts.
With DoctorLib you can choose where you go depending on what service you require.
So for example, my drivers medical to get my French license without losing the minibus and 7.5 tonne lorry entitlements I went to a Doctor in Morzine, as I could get an appointment quicker.
Yesterday we went to the Doctor in Chatel for our jabs, she was incredibly pragmatic about not wasting vaccine doses.
She said that while Doctor Lib was good for booking appointments, if you want a vaccine at short notice, just phone round a couple, as they would much rather give the vaccine to a healthy 50 year old, then throw it away.
latest report
I wonder why some people so against having a vaccination against a deadly disease. The Covid death rate in France for example of 134 per 100,000 is catching up to the UKs 189 (put that in perspective that is almost one person in 500 of the UK population died of Corona virus in the last year). Yet the French government appears to want to delay the deployment of vaccines as much as possible.
If we had the vaccine a year ago about 120,000 more people would be alive in the UK today (total number of excess deaths). Against this about 70 people in the UK have suffered a thrombosis type incident divided almost equally between the Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines) out of the 23 million vaccinated and within the normal range of such incidents. To me the sums are quite clear: a 1 in 500 chance of dying of Covid versus a 1 in millions chance of dying of the side effects of a vaccine, if such a thing actually exists.
Norway reported a number of people died shortly after receiving the Pfizer vaccine. The USA is also reporting a tiny number of deaths after a Covid vaccination. These reports are not linked to the Astra Zeneca vaccine, but that people (in Norway’s case old people) often do die.
Clearly there is more afoot here than mere safety concerns. I wonder if the fact that the American company, Pfizer, expects to make $15 billion from its Covid vaccine, yet the EU/UK company Astra Zeneca plans only to sell it at on a not for profit basis has anything to do with the decisions. Pfizer’s share prices has gone up whereas AZ’s has gone down.
latest report
I think the problem is all the mixed messages denting peoples confidence in it. Some time ago Macron said it's crap then changed his mind. They bought loads and on Sunday Castex said it's fine. Then yesterday following, many, many other European countries Macron suspended it's use. Most of the medics are up in arms about it and the health minister backed it today.

At least I beat that suspension by a couple of hours yesterday afternoon Very Happy 3 months to get sorted before the 2nd.

In other news a new covid variant which may not be detectable with PCR tests has been found in Brittany.
snow report
Quote:

If we had the vaccine a year ago about 120,000 more people would be alive in the UK today (total number of excess deaths)

Hmm with the average age for death being 83 I'm not sure all of them would be alive, fair chance at least some of them would have died of other causes.

But I take the point
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ Boris...you beat me to it!
snow report
Quote:

Hmm with the average age for death being 83 I'm not sure all of them would be alive, fair chance at least some of them would have died of other causes.

Many may have died of other causes. There is variation in death rates from year to year. The 120,000 is excess deaths over the long term average death rate. Not all died from Covid. It is postulated that some did not seak ttreatment for other causes such as heart conditions, whereas there was a reduction in deaths from influenza. The bare fact is that 120,000 more people died over the last 12 months than would normally die over that period.
ski holidays
Some very strange things going regarding waiting lists for vaccines here in France. We know of several people in other departments who have been vaccinated, despite not being in the current age bracket. This came about through GPs etc wanting to use all doses from open vials.

We went around a few places local to us today to ask what was going on, and how this might be organised. We were met with a wall of bluster and refusal to answer directly. Eventually, one pharmacist admitted that such a list existed, but refused to say any more. I reckon there is the usual local favouritism going on... bloody frustrating.
latest report
@JamesHJ, you mean like La Patronne recognising you in the restaurant and filling up your glass for free? Very French.
snow conditions
The pill has a much higher incidence of blood clots than AZ and yet it’s been in use for decades...
ski holidays
@JamesHJ, We called these people : https://www.chatel.com/cabinet-medical.html
They were helpful and gave us appointment over the phone straight away.
Once AZ is back on the French Menu, I'm sure they'll be back in the game.
latest report
brianatab wrote:
Would that suggest that the faster the immune system responds, the less likelyhood of you being contagious for a couple of days?

@brianatab I've just spotted this question and wondered what you mean? The vaccine doesn't make you contagious.
snow conditions
Skimum1 wrote:
...The pill has a much higher incidence of blood clots than AZ and yet it’s been in use for decades...

That is such an obvious point, and I've not seen that commented upon in the medja, though may well have missed it!

Anyway bringing the thread back on track.

Here in the Hautes Alpes we're now under scrutiny as our numbers are rising rapidly, of course, nothing to do with all the hordes visiting here these past four weeks Mad

And I did hear that many were tested here whilst on their hols and those figures are then attributed to the Region where the test was taken, even if they live elsewhere, but that might be the stuff of urban myths?
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Do you have a gut feeling for the summer season?
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, my gut feeling based on what's happened so far, is that we'll go into lock-down soon, and then come out of it just in time for the all-important Summer Holidays and then repeat all over again etc rolling eyes
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@ringingmaster, my gut feeling based on what's happened so far, is that we'll go into lock-down soon, and then come out of it just in time for the all-important Summer Holidays and then repeat all over again etc rolling eyes

Sad Sad But thanks
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, Good point. My poor wording. I was thinking of any future actual infection.

Does the speed of your immune reaction make any difference to being contagious ?

A quick immune reaction would presumably keep an actual infection to a very low rate whilst the body fought it off, whereas I was wondering if a slower reaction may allow the infection to reach a higher level in the early stages, thus possibly leaving the person contagious until the immune system can reduce it.

On the other hand, a slower reaction may result in a higher overall immune response, as the body would need to produce proportionately more antibodies.

Assuming of course, that the level of response to the vaccine would be replicated in the event of actual infection.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy