Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland takes UK off Quarantine list

Poster: A snowHead
ajc2260626 wrote:

So what’s your opinion on the original question what is Zermatt infection like compared to Valais as a whole? Worked back to cases per 100,000 not actual cases so we can compare apples with apples....

How can anyone have an opinion on that? You either have the stats or you don’t, and I don’t think anyone does. Valais is a disaster zone, period. Other cantons are better, Geneva is even worse, but all pretty bad.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5, you can compare countries by the FT tracker here:
https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=gbr&areas=che&areas=fra&areas=deu&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&byDate=1&cumulative=0&logScale=1&perMillion=1&values=cases

(yes, Switzerland is much worse than the UK). Case numbers started to increase exponentially quite suddenly at the start of October and it took a couple of weeks for the Federal and Cantonal govements to realise quite what they were dealing with and re-introduce measures.

The week-on week-average was up 6% on Friday which is still an increase, but the increase has slowed dramatically (from over 100%) since the re-introduction of measures 2-3 weeks ago (there was an initial tightening, then a greater tightening a week later) so the trend is going in the right direction now. Several of the cantons have started to decrease their numbers too.

In the first plot here you can see how the curve is starting to level off and even drop. Fingers crossed that that trend persists into next week and does not reverse:
https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/coronavirus-so-entwickeln-sich-die-corona-zahlen-in-der-schweiz
However the positive rate of tests is now over 27% and has been slowly but consistently rising, so that is a concern.

Further down on that page is a table which has the per 100k rates per canton - this is important because they are drastically different. Basel (where I am) is right down at the bottom with 45 cases / 100k 7-day average, whilst Geneva is at 208 and Valais is at 180. I’ve got to go to Zermatt for a course next weekend and I’m a bit apprehensive about it!

RTS has a nice table which has all the Swiss cantons but also the regions of Europe - so you can compare case rates in your local area to the ski area you might be thinking of going to...
https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/11692029-geneve-devient-la-region-la-plus-touchee-par-le-covid-en-europe.html

Sorting by incidence per 14 days makes for uncomfortable reading for anyone in Switzerland (or thinking of coming here). We’re right at the top of the table with Geneva at 2796 and have several cantons in the top ten. Even the lowest incidence canton (Basel-Land) at 599 isn’t all that far off the highest incidence region in the UK (Yorkshire and the Humber at 824).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajc2260626 wrote:

So what’s your opinion on the original question what is Zermatt infection like compared to Valais as a whole? Worked back to cases per 100,000 not actual cases so we can compare apples with apples....

Best and latest figures show Zurich has greatest Covid infections, especially when compared to rest of Swiss numbers. Here - https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-stats_coronavirus--the-latest-numbers-/45674308

Look at - Number of Covid-19 cases currently in self-isolation and people in quarantine, by canton - shows huge variation between Swiss cantons understandably centred on population densities. Which is a direct comparison between Manningham and Addingham!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimastaaah wrote:

Best and latest figures show Zurich has greatest Covid infections, especially when compared to rest of Swiss numbers. Here - https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-stats_coronavirus--the-latest-numbers-/45674308

@skimastaaah, there’s something odd about that page - for a start they aren’t the latest numbers - though they say they are from Friday 6th they are not consistent with what BAG/SRF/RTS reported on that day. But it’s the per canton metrics they are reporting which are really odd. Your links has Zürich at the top of the table for “cases in self isolation” (whatever that is). But per the BAG´s weekly report (see page 3) Zürich is nowhere near the top of the cantonal table for either raw numbers or incidence.
https://www.bag.admin.ch/dam/bag/de/dokumente/mt/k-und-i/aktuelle-ausbrueche-pandemien/2019-nCoV/covid-19-woechentlicher-lagebericht.pdf.download.pdf/BAG_COVID-19_Woechentliche_Lage.pdf

BAG summaries in English here:
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/situation-schweiz-und-international.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gämsbock, thanks, loads of helpful information there
I’m not planning on going anywhere just interested to see what’s going on
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@telford_mike, disaster zone?? How dramatic. Case and hospitalisations are levelling off and the percentage of positive tests is decreasing. The rate of increase in deaths is slowing markedly. This may all change over the weekend but I doubt it.

https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/overview
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boobleblooble, that’s a really nice dashboard even if I don’t agree with your interpretation of the data wink . I see the posititivity rate at best stabilising, but certainly not decreasing and at nearly 30% it’s certainly far too high. Ditto hospitalisations and deaths, which have a greater reporting time-lag than the positive tests. Hopefully there will be a clear downward trend at least in case numbers by the end of next week but it’s too early to call IMO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boobleblooble, do you also believe that the world is flat? I live in CH, and we are the hotspot of Europe. The flattening out that you speak of is merely a result of reaching the limit of our testing capacity. I hope that you are right however.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@telford_mike, absolutely, has anyone got the stats on Zermatt?

This is why I made the point of the difference between Ilkley and Bradford...... Bradford a lot worse than national average in uk with high rates.... Ilkley (part of Bradford B.C) 10 miles away better than national average with low infections. So yes, not after an “opinion” does anyone know what they are like in Zermatt?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gämsbock, are you on a basi course in Zermatt ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One of the positives for Switzerland as far as I could see (and sorry, but I can't face wading through all the various sources all over again) seemed to be that their death rates per 100K were only the same as the UK's: the figure for Swiss confirmed covid cause of deaths per 100K over 14 days was 5.8 while the UK's was 5.9

So what I took from that was that though far more people in Switzerland are getting infected compared to the UK, the higher numbers of those infected doesn't translate into proportionally higher deaths.

I can speculate as to why this might be, but it would be interesting to see what other people's analysis is. One possibility is that the Swiss are managing to test, track and isolate faster than the UK (which seems entirely plausible) in parallel with also managing to quarantine the most vulnerable more effectively (ditto). So while infections are spreading at a much higher rate in CH, this is confined to younger less vulnerable segments of the population.

At first glance, I concluded this was A Good Thing re Switzerland inasmuch as they're 'protecting the vulnerable' very effectively. But I have read an interesting analogy by an epidemiologist who said that this starategy was like putting all your valuables in one room to protect them from a house fire. Yes, it works well for a while, but eventually, the fire reaches the 'safe' room and the final result is just the same. This is why I'm apprehensive about Christmas - even if we get the situation under control (as far as we can) by 2nd December, isn't Christmas the one point where we'll see a massive breakdown in the voluntary isolation that's been in place between the less and more vulnerable? i.e. the point where we open the door of the 'safe' room?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 8-11-20 11:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, are there more obese people in the UK than in Switzerland? Is that it? Or one of the possible explanations?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaForet, Swiss healthcare and therefore the health of the population, is a lot better than in the UK. Also, there is a different attitude to accessing healthcare across Europe – in the UK, everyone is aware that it is under pressure, normally, not just now, so there is an underlying reluctance to access unless you're really desperate.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajc2260626, I haven’t seen the data broken down by commune in Valais so I don’t know what Zermatt is specifically. I’ve just googled and haven’t found anything so I suspect Valais haven’t released it on that granular a level.

I’m meant to be re-doing my first aid. However I’m seriously considering not going, especially as BASI wrote to me this week to tell me they are extending it by six months.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VolklAttivaS5, @LaForet, my own hypotheses for why serious complications/deaths relative to infections are lower in Switzerland compared to the UK are:
- fewer vulnerable - the population is generally much healthier here and particularly for COVID with regards to things like obesity and Type II diabetes.
- better at protecting the vulnerable - this is linked to the above because it’s easier to protect the retired than it is it protect working age vulnerable.
- totally different set up with regards to care of the elderly both in and outside of care homes and sufficient PPE from the start of the epidemic so they didn’t have the issues with releasing COVID-positive hospital patients back into their care homes and infecting everyone else.
- much more capacity in the healthcare system so they can take a lot more COVID patients before they get anywhere close to worrying about cancelling routine care. Even now only a few cantons are cancelling non-urgent operations but this is stuff like knee surgery not cancer treatment. Whereas the NHS cancels non-urgent operations and treatments every winter as a matter of course as they hit capacity in a normal flu season.
- lower population density and generally very few people living in overcrowded or multigenerational housing.
snow report
@Gämsbock, all very valid points, I think you’re right
ski holidays
From the hospital coal face in Switzerland

https://www.thelocal.ch/20201106/exhausted-swiss-doctors-reel-as-second-virus-wave-hits
snow report
@chocksaway, if that’s the worst The Local aka The Local Daily Fail can come up with (one small hospital transfers patients to a bigger one), the situation here must be better than I thought!
snow report
The new normal...
snow report
@BobinCH, you have tried but it's still possible to see you're a ginger.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy