Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
http://winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Snow cover this morning at Glencoe Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice to see Very Happy Some (very rare but not unknown) October turns in Scotland would be nice....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know of the current situation regarding Covid rules and skiing in Scotland?
Would it be more possible to do now than it was in April and May (i.e. when it was not possible at all!)?
Thanks.
N Neige
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied in Feb at the Coe & Glenshee, there has been no official word about skiing but as it is an outdoor activity my guess is they will open - maybe limit the tickets.

The issue could be with gondolas (Nevis) or funicular (CG), but anything with outdoor open chairs and drags should be good. With gloves and buffs you are pretty much covered for PPE.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No problem with the funicular at CG - it is inoperable!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neil Neige wrote:
Does anyone know of the current situation regarding Covid rules and skiing in Scotland?
Would it be more possible to do now than it was in April and May (i.e. when it was not possible at all!)?
Thanks.
N Neige

The current situation with skiing in Scotland is that there isn't any! Razz

I think the main problem as I see it is zones that in the new "very high" are advised not to travel in/out
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the Covid info.
Was a shame things were shut down completely in March instead of just managing gondolas and indoor spaces (lift pass, ski hire, restaurants etc.) but I guess it was all bit more of a panic back then.

I'm guessing the new Glen Coe chair hasn't been built yet? Before Covid came along, got a feeling it was due to be installed in time for this coming season?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I'm guessing the new Glen Coe chair hasn't been built yet? Before Covid came along, got a feeling it was due to be installed in time for this coming season?
New chair building is underway Very Happy - there were pics in the summer on the
Winterhighland forum of the pylons. Don't know how far they have got though....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pylons are up but no rope on yet. I think completion was dependent on making enough money over the summer. You can see one of the pylons on the Corie Pollach Webcam.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Imagine the thrill of not having to walk uphill to access the Main Basin T-Bar / Rannoch Poma.

Its almost like how a ski area should be designed............. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, I was there on Saturday and did the red MTB route that goes past where they are building- there is definitely work going on as we were warned about it being v muddy and big ditches been dug across the trail when we bought lift tickets. Machinery about too. Should have asked when it would be ready.

Never skied Glencoe as I live in the east but if the biking is anything to go by I'll definitely have to get up that extra hour earlier and head over there for a day instead of Glenshee. The staff were really friendly too
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the Glencoe info. Been there twice in recent years and loved it! However, first time you had to dodge the grass and mud on the button lift, the second time you just had to walk (from top of access chair).
Looks like the new chair is shown on this piste map.
www.glencoemountain.co.uk/piste-map-2/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Imagine the thrill of not having to walk uphill to access the Main Basin T-Bar / Rannoch Poma.

I’m afraid we will still have to imagine it because the new chair will only go a bit higher than the Poma. You will still need to walk (a tiny bit) from the top of the cliff hanger chair, although from the top of the wall tbar you can usually skate across to the main basin tbar.

I think the Plateau poma was only built in the 90s. Before that you always had to walk across the plateau starting from a lower point where the single person access chair terminated. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I think the Plateau poma was only built in the 90s. Before that you always had to walk across the plateau
That's right. My first visit was in 1988/89-ish and you had to slog across the Plateau. It was an absolute bonus when the poma went in!

Been plenty of times since in late season when there's been no snow on the Plateau - and the resulting hike to the Cliffhanger Chair is just like the good old days Laughing
snow report
Looks like anyone going Ski Touring/Splitboarding, Walking, Climbing or Sledging at Glenshee this season will have to pay £5 for a parking voucher for the day. Online purchase only in keeping with the current situation.

Basically if you're not buying a Snowsports ticket then you'll pay to park.

www.ski-glenshee.co.uk
snow conditions
Quote:
Basically if you're not buying a Snowsports ticket then you'll pay to park.
How will that be enforced then Puzzled
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, couldn't tell you. I thought once the car parks were full,the car park guys went skiing themselves Puzzled

Looks like everyone will need a parking voucher, but if you have a day ticket/season ticket you won't pay for parking.
snow conditions
Car parking
There will be a £5 daily parking charge for all vehicles, however for those of you who buy a day Snowsports pass or hold a current season pass there will be no charge. In either case you will need to display the parking voucher in your vehicle. (Available online)

Day Tickets
These will only be sold online you must specify the date required when booking. The booking must be made at least 24hrs in advance of arrival.

Parking voucher will be print at home.

Re Day ticket - bit of a PITA if you are looking at weather the night before for a last minute decision..........wonder if they really mean 24 hours or just the day before??

Perhaps this is just to discourage people purchasing "on the day" so they can control numbers.
ski holidays
Quote:
Re Day ticket - bit of a PITA if you are looking at weather the night before for a last minute decision....wonder if they really mean 24 hours or just the day before??
PITA? Too right! Hopefully the day before given the propensity for the weather in the Highlands to take a sudden turn for the worst at the drop of a hat...Even the day before does not provide the degree of flexibility that is sometimes imperative with Scottish ski trips - we have set off for Scotland as late as the evening before with the forecast still on a knife edge in terms of whether skiing would be possible the next day...

And I wonder what the score will be with refunds in the event of a stormbound area...?

Other than in times of settled weather, not sure whether Mrs MA and I would be chancing a Glenshee 500 mile round trip write-off... rolling eyes
snow report
I had assumed that something like this would be required to control numbers, and if they can do it all online it's certainly going to be helpful - except his the heck do you print off a parking voucher if you're staying in a b&b, van or hotel??????!!!!
The real PITA is when you're staying overnight (or 2) in the middle in order to grab the best of unpredictable conditions. (Hmmm, never done that, obvs...). Looks like there'll have to be much more pre-planning or single day trips.
I hope that 24hr just means the day/night before, or until it's booked up - just stops the ticket office queues.

Anyone heard what Coe are planning? Shee, after all, always had online booking options.

And what about season ticket refunds if - well, if what? Is it worth getting annual insurance for the UK??? Would cancellation cover cover that?
ski holidays
@Grizzler, looks like Glencoe are doing pre-booked tickets/online only this season as well. Season ticket holders will get priority if numbers need to be capped.

Apparently there will be machines in various places at the base to scan your pre-booked ticket from your phone or paper print off, to print out your actual day ticket.
snow report
It seems that Cairngorm have opted out of the reciprocal agreement between all the Scottish Areas that sees Season Ticket holders from one Area get 30% off a day ticket at all the others.
ski holidays
^^^^ and have gone for a 30% supplement for the privilege of skiing there instead... Laughing

Actually, nothing would surprise me at Cairngorm... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Haha!!

Actually feel sorry for anyone who's bought a Cairngorm Season Ticket. They'll now have to pay full price if travelling to any of the better run Areas Toofy Grin
snow report
Right at the moment, us Sassenachs ain't looking like being allowed across the border... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Increasingly thinking it could be curtains for any skiing, anywhere (home or abroad) this winter... Confused

Never mind Scotland, even Weardale, Yad Moss, Allenheads and Raise could be no go for us Northern- England-based skiers the way this is heading Sad
ski holidays
@mountainaddict,
Even with a new lockdown announced we should still be able to ski. The rules say that outdoor recreation is being encouraged and that includes travelling to ski. As we know the risk outdoors and outside enclosed spaces is low. The bigger issue is whether there will be any snow ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am seriously considering a Glenshee ST this year, early bird is £325 which works out at 10 day passes.

Thing is, if there are going to be loads more people skiing here due to the issues getting abroad, it might actually be worth it just not to have to queue for a day ticket.

Early bird offer extended to the end of November - https://glenshee.skicloud.co.uk/book/lift-tickets
latest report
Quote:
Even with a new lockdown announced we should still be able to ski. The rules say that outdoor recreation is being encouraged and that includes travelling to ski
Cheers
Peter S - I accept that you have to get to some snow to be able to ski - but I'm still fearful that there may be a crack down on the travelling distance involved. It's only 60-75 mins for us in the case of The North Pennines, which will hopefully be acceptable...I know Yad Moss has famously had people travelling from Sussex or wherever in the past - but would desperate skiers travelling hundreds of miles to the Pennines really be supported? Puzzled
latest report
Peter S wrote:
@mountainaddict,
Even with a new lockdown announced we should still be able to ski. The rules say that outdoor recreation is being encouraged and that includes travelling to ski. As we know the risk outdoors and outside enclosed spaces is low. The bigger issue is whether there will be any snow ?

Correct - this is the excerpt for the new Scottish tiers from tomorrow -

"People living under level three rules should not travel outside their own local authority area for anything other than "essential" reasons.

This can include work, education, outdoor exercise, healthcare or caring responsibilities, and essential shopping"

However, as @mountainaddict has said, the tricky bit will be travelling from - say - England.

That said, who is going to police it?
snow report
I remember these discussions from March. Blinking annoying as it is, there's got to be a balance of sense and compliance here - else what might be 'guidelines' or requests do became law.
We already know that there's likely to be a huge demand for UK skiing - and that in itself is going to create havoc, congestion and general problems which doubtless will have to be addressed with more forceful measures. I'm just trying to imagine the Yad road or, God forbid, Weardale, congested with parked punters. Don't get me started on Coe...
Also, whilst outdoor exercise is permissible, even encouraged, the spirit of that, given that we are trying to contain an infectious agent and minimise strain on public, emergency and health services, is certainly not that people travel 60,100, 250 or more miles just for a specific, non-essential (OK... rolling eyes ) activity.
Face it (and I'm being as guilty and hopeful as the rest, as I want to get up to Scotland too, and am also considering buying STs), we're all being a wee bit selfish, aren't we?
snow report
Grizzler wrote:

Face it (and I'm being as guilty and hopeful as the rest, as I want to get up to Scotland too, and am also considering buying STs), we're all being a wee bit selfish, aren't we?

Mate of mine just popped by to drop off some beer (he is only drinking wine at the moment) for me - first time I have seen him F2F for literally months, we were both saying how effing boring this is.

He is about to early retire, and we are both going to get Shee STs.

I genuinely dont see that as being in any way selfish, its entirely within the rules and will allow us to take off on any given day, avoid queues and hit the slopes as we please while helping the scottish ski industry.
ski holidays
Quote:

However, as @mountainaddict has said, the tricky bit will be travelling from - say - England.

That said, who is going to police it?

The police I guess! There were some checks on traffic last time around. Also overnight stays might be off-limits so that will naturally limit the max distance that most folk are willing to travel.

Also half tempted by a Shee pass, but then again the advance online booking system should actually make it easier to get a ticket this year. Shame they can’t figure out a print-your-own-pass system.... but even with having to collect at the counter it should be quicker as no money changing hands. And no stress about getting there to find ticket sales suspended.
snow report
There is also, in some areas, a difference between "recreation" (not allowed), "leisure" (ditto) and "outdoor exercise" (allowed and encouraged - in England anyway). EDIT - and is there an argument that organised ski resorts are actually "sports facilities", which currently also have to close, indoors and out (including golf courses)?
Following several discussions on this on various mountain threads/forums/FB pages. (And Snowsports England too - don't know about Scotland.)
Who knows..? Scottish rules, English rules, Welsh rules.. Aaagh! And January, never mind March to April, is a long way off. I'm hoping for a good late Scottish season - get back to normal on the anniversary of when we were all chucked off snowHead
ski holidays
Repairs about to start on the Cairngorm funicular apparently. No indication of how long they'll take, but I'd have thought it unlikely to run this winter.
snow conditions
Regards the new Glencoe chair -
I follow one of the staff at Coe on Instagram... https://www.instagram.com/munro_charlie/?hl=en

He says the new chair won't be finished this year. They've certainly got a lot done but he says the covid situation has held them back.

Well worth a look at his account for progress pics.
latest report
Lovely covering of snow on today's Coe & Nevis cams. The lower Goose almost looked skiable Very Happy
snow report
When I asked the repair timeline for the Funi was 12-14 months depending on what they find in the Pier replacements. Utter waste of time and money frankly.
The new Coe chair was never planned to be running this season from memory, they planned to get the towers up and cable it in the spring.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, yep - enough snow for Scottish avalanche forecast to be issued!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy